Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

What do you think about this?

This is a discussion on What do you think about this? within the Corvette forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; What motor is in the 91???...

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

What motor is in the 91???

victory red
    2007 zo6

guys gm doing away with the v8 dual overhead cam motors ! [northstars] in the caddys .. notice hot caddys,/ are detuned zr1 engine.. think 550 horsepower..of course ls1 motors replaced ,the old zr-1 motors[dual overhead cams] a while back.. zo6 /zr1 are much more powerfull /lighter/faster/ higher rev's, etc. i shift at 7,000 rpm, before rev limiter ,cuts in.. maybe old style dohc can rev higher ? but you will be behind me ...

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by rkvette View Post
    guys gm doing away with the v8 dual overhead cam motors ! [northstars] in the caddys .. notice hot caddys,/ are detuned zr1 engine.. think 550 horsepower..of course ls1 motors replaced ,the old zr-1 motors[dual overhead cams] a while back.. zo6 /zr1 are much more powerfull /lighter/faster/ higher rev's, etc. i shift at 7,000 rpm, before rev limiter ,cuts in.. maybe old style dohc can rev higher ? but you will be behind me ...
    DOHC is more a personal preference than anything. I don't think anyone said it was better than current engine types.. Tho i'd argue it's more likely cheaper to go single cam than dohc.. The general public gives dohc engines a bad name due to the fact that joe blow rarely has the know how to work on them and they require more work and attention to keep in top shape.. I garantee you're missing out with a single cammer'.. Ls1 did NOT replace the LT5 it replaced the LT1 which is not the same as an LT5. It was limited production to begin with and never went in to standard Corvette.. Nor was it intened too..

Ps any engine with heavier valve springs will rev higher.. DOHC motors are designed to spin and make power higher in the rev band.. DOHC engine usually shine up high and OHV engines usually shine down low.. OHV (single cam) is backwards tech by all stretches of the imagination.. Where they have to change cam for better LSA we can simply loosen the king bolts on the cams and re-degree them..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-08-2010 at 08:24 AM.

victory red
    2007 zo6

gm said doing away with all the northstars [ dohc] v8 engines.. not only in the caddys ,buicks, etc..gm said dirty engine /pollute more ,etc.... think about 15/20 years, ago gm said one of their greatest engines,!! i drove a 2008 buick with a northstar v8 engine/ then a 2008 buick[super] with ls4/v8, like in my 2008 ss v8 impala has in it.. wow ,newer motors are way more powerfull/ ahead, northstar dohc v8 actually felt lazy, was smooth... horsepower was only 10>13 differance , felt like 50 horsepower differance !!

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Unhappy

gm said doing away with all the northstars [ dohc] v8 engines.. not only in the caddys ,buicks, etc..gm said dirty engine /pollute more ,etc.... think about 15/20 years, ago gm said one of their greatest engines,!! i drove a 2008 buick with a northstar v8 engine/ then a 2008 buick[super] with ls4/v8, like in my 2008 ss v8 impala has in it.. wow ,newer motors are way more powerfull/ ahead, northstar dohc v8 actually felt lazy, was smooth... horsepower was only 10>13 differance , felt like 50 horsepower differance !!
    figures.... I wonder what they're going to do with the dohc 660's? Also if comparing a FWD to RWD there's always a difference on the butt dyno..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-08-2010 at 10:38 AM.

Ray Charles blue

Quote Originally Posted by 10spokess View Post
    What motor is in the 91???
    Tuned port 5.7. Pretty much the same from 85-91 with some revisions to heads (part way through 86 they went away from iron heads). They are stump pullers but not a high rpm power house engine. Not bad though and can be pretty fun to drive.

Not just detuned my friend, I believe they get different internals, ie. not forged. Might be wrong but I think that is part of the deal with them. The old style can but dont rev higher than 7k. If not mistaken the old DOHC rev limiter kicks in at 6900. You are right, the old engine will be behind you. You cant try to compare technology from 1985 (which is when the prototype LT5s WERE being run) to your car...........its like trying to say "My fuel injected car works better than your rochester fuel injection."

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    DOHC is more a personal preference than anything. I don't think anyone said it was better than current engine types.. Tho i'd argue it's more likely cheaper to go single cam than dohc.. The general public gives dohc engines a bad name due to the fact that joe blow rarely has the know how to work on them and they require more work and attention to keep in top shape.. I garantee you're missing out with a single cammer'.. Ls1 did NOT replace the LT5 it replaced the LT1 which is not the same as an LT5. It was limited production to begin with and never went in to standard Corvette.. Nor was it intened too..

Ps any engine with heavier valve springs will rev higher.. DOHC motors are designed to spin and make power higher in the rev band.. DOHC engine usually shine up high and OHV engines usually shine down low.. OHV (single cam) is backwards tech by all stretches of the imagination.. Where they have to change cam for better LSA we can simply loosen the king bolts on the cams and re-degree them..
    Correct, the LS1 did NOT replace the LT5, it replaced the LT1.

No doubt. Having driven both the LS6 and the LT5 engine the LT5 is more rev happy and likes to be held in the next lower gear to keep the RPMs up. Plus it sounds like PURE sex to the ears.

gm said doing away with all the northstars [ dohc] v8 engines.. not only in the caddys ,buicks, etc..gm said dirty engine /pollute more ,etc.... think about 15/20 years, ago gm said one of their greatest engines,!! i drove a 2008 buick with a northstar v8 engine/ then a 2008 buick[super] with ls4/v8, like in my 2008 ss v8 impala has in it.. wow ,newer motors are way more powerfull/ ahead, northstar dohc v8 actually felt lazy, was smooth... horsepower was only 10>13 difference , felt like 50 horsepower difference !!
    Fixed!

I am having a hard time understanding your post my friend......lol

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

smitro when are you gonna have an avitar with that V6 actually in your car lol. i wanna see it hahahaha

White
    2008 Hummer H3

smitro when are you gonna have an avitar with that V6 actually in your car lol. i wanna see it hahahaha
    Soon bro just ironing out time and bugs with the muncie/s.. It's been a bitch to say the least.. After taking delayed delivery on the trany the builder then noified me that the internals he used wont withstand engine spin ups to 10k.. FML.. Had to build a 284 5spd as an after thought.. Unfortunetly I had to locate cases from 4 different tranies to find 2 good ones.. FML x2..

After that I ran out of time with work.. But I'm still on it when I can.. I missed fire up by 2 months or so now.. Software is confusing for the stand alones basic tune just to fire it up. My tuner is on vacation and should be down tis weekend..:crossedfingers: SLow as a sloth but comming along as it were.. Thanks for the interest.. Oh and on top of that the Camaro project is comming up too.. Picking up the roller 2000 camaro this weekend too. Somewhere in there is fire up.. I need 2 of me!

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

???Wait a min did you say 10K??? wow that is going to sound insane, whats the camaro build???

White
    2008 Hummer H3

???Wait a min did you say 10K??? wow that is going to sound insane, whats the camaro build???
    10k on the TT . The Camaro will be something in the dohc v8's and a full carbon composite body off.. I was going to do a blower on the 3800.. But just desided I'd rather have something in dohc instead of the old single cam.. I'll prolly freshen up the 3800 and sell it.. I have so many parts for many different engines on my shelves I just don't have a need for an extra 3800.. Thought crossed my mind on doing a 3.6 dohc v6 too. But I'm leaning for something in the Northstar bands..

The engine in my avatar in stock form (91-93 only) could hold 8k all day with stock internals and a limiter adjustment.. But the engine in my avatar is a forged motor with a custom crank, custom cut cams, custom in house TB, and a custom CnCed UI, etc,etc. 10k will be no trouble @ all..
    Last edited by Smittro; 11-09-2010 at 07:43 PM.

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

man how much horsepower will it be twin turboed and that motor??? Enough to get you grinning right

White
    2008 Hummer H3

man how much horsepower will it be twin turboed and that motor??? Enough to get you grinning right
    Just a clean 350-375 FWHP or so.. Not too crazy.
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

victory red
    2007 zo6

guys parts for the older corvette zr-1, engines [ DOHC ] think 1992>1994 years, are out of site .. friend told me somone bought all the extra replacement parts from gm.. now wants like $5,000 for a water pump ?

Ray Charles blue

guys parts for the older corvette zr-1, engines [ DOHC ] think 1992>1994 years, are out of site .. friend told me somone bought all the extra replacement parts from gm.. now wants like $5,000 for a water pump ?
    So does that mean the parts for the 90, 91, & 95 are not expensive? hahah

Blog Entries

Black
    2002 SS Camaro

hahahaha i would hope so, but im gonna switch motors anyway

Torch Red
    2000 Corvette

We have a 91 Convertible that is an all stock L98 car and I have my built 2000 convertible. I have always wanted a C5 and mine is built pretty stout so naturally it is the car that I enjoy driving the most. On the other hand, the wife's 91 is absolutely beautiful and is fun to drive as well. In fact, we drove it on one of our mountain runs with the friends and they all said they were impressed by the way it ran and handled the curves in the mountain, so the C4 isn't a horrible car. In fact I think it would be pretty cool to have a C4 that could beat up on newer corvettes. It sure would shock a lot of people.
    2000 Convertible- LS6 Intake, Blackwing, Smooth coupler, Comp Cams XR281HR, 918 springs, Chromoly pushrods, titanium retainers, LG Motorsports street system, B&B Bullets, No cats, HP tuning custom tune.SOLD
    2011 Grand Sport convertible- 2011 Brickyard 400 Festival car

victory red
    2007 zo6

i like the mods done on your 2000 corvette conv...did you ever run it at the drags, i bet some good /fast times... it maybe get expensive to to beat/shock , owners of new zo6/zr1,, b/c they run fast pure stock !

Torch Red
    2000 Corvette

i like the mods done on your 2000 corvette conv...did you ever run it at the drags, i bet some good /fast times... it maybe get expensive to to beat/shock , owners of new zo6/zr1,, b/c they run fast pure stock !
    I have never run it on the track but I can walk a lot of C5's and I have raced my buddies C6 with intake, cat-back and tune and can beat him. It is pretty fast but nowhere near what I want. Gonna put some new heads and a fast intake and TB eventually and beef it up a little more. You mention expensive and I have noticed along with a lot of others that it costs some serious money to get these cars serious fast!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information