Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

value

This is a discussion on value within the Corvette forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Zinergy Those crate engines are only 1 small part of that swap, alot of parts would still ...

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Those crate engines are only 1 small part of that swap, alot of parts would still be needed and thats after you spent 4k on the engine alone.
    yea it definatley needs some suspension parts and drive shaft replacements already.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    yea it definatley needs some suspension parts and drive shaft replacements already.
    Not only that buy accesorys, ecu, harness, fuel system.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Most c5 z06s put down 350ishwhp on a mustang dyno and make 405-415 crank hp. The ls6 on the site says 5300 for it. You must have a sweet ass customer discount.
    No discount, you just have to know the correct number to put in the search box. They DON"T list the other LS6 because they want to sell more of the $5 grand one. That's the reason I said that if he got really serious, I'd go through the old "Camaro files" to find it.
    A guy from this site (Brian) actually deserves the credit for finding the cheaper engine. Then after he bought one, he turned me on to the "secret number" and I ordered mine too.
    I called crate engine depot, [years ago] and grilled them as to why the motor wasn't listed, their reason;
    Because it's a Cadillac engine that's only suppossed to go into Cadillacs and we KNOW they aren't going to Caddys.
    Remember that Cadillac used the LS6 too.

Red
    02 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by needls1again View Post
    yea, ive been driving this car every day, and it runs great even in houston traffic. the temp stays around 180 and oil pressure is around 70 at driving speeds, 40 at idle. on cool mornings the car can actually seem pretty tough for 190hp engine. its a very dependable car running wise, but do you think adding performance parts would effect the reliability? im actually leaning towards just adding a cam and intake to the existing engine and see what happens since it would be the cheaper way to go. and would i need to upgrade the carb? right now it has a holley that looks like a factory quadrajet.
    It will be reliable as long as you don't go too crazy with compression and assuming it is in decent shape to start. When I did my 350 in the 77 Vette I had I had Jet rebuild the carb and it ran flawlessly, idled great and got decent mileage. It had a mild cam, roller rockers, edlebrock manifold,new higher compression pistons, and the heads mildly worked. With the headers and sidepipes it made a nice cruiser with a lot more power than stock and absolutely no driveability or reliability issues.

pewter
    99 trans am

ok so the only thing i wonder now is will any modifications of this magnitude (be it ls6 or beefing up the stock motor) increase or decrease the resale value of the car?

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

wow what a question...............hard to say. Since your car is not a serious collector, like a pace car from that vintage would be, I'd say you're free to do whatever you want, and the value won't change a whole lot. Hell, if it were me looking for this kind of car and you had some nice engine mods, it would be worth more.

Now if it was a super low mile car, under 1,000k or so, I'd say don't change a thing.

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    wow what a question...............hard to say. Since your car is not a serious collector, like a pace car from that vintage would be, I'd say you're free to do whatever you want, and the value won't change a whole lot. Hell, if it were me looking for this kind of car and you had some nice engine mods, it would be worth more.

Now if it was a super low mile car, under 1,000k or so, I'd say don't change a thing.
    im glad you say this....because the car really sucks in its stock form....nice.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information