1966 Corvette Coupe

Tranny Issues....

Ok guys my car keeps throwing first out... It's been a problem for a while, but now its getting to be a regular event (like 1 in 20 times i put it in first)... Im wondering what i need to check b4 i take it into the shop and they tell me it needs alot of work when its actually just like the shifter linkage.

I've been told its going to need syncros and prolly first gear replaced and that will be $750 or $500 if i pull it and reinstall it... If i were keeping the car i would pull it all out... change the rear end gears, change the clutch and throw out bearing, upgrade to an m12, put on headers, and x pipe, exhaust, and polyeuro bushings. but since im gonna sell it after the fix im just gonna let them pull all that shit out and just fix it...

any advise of any kind...

I hate to not just do it myself and i really hate to not get to add all the good stuff to it... but i really dont want to spend that much cash on it since im not really a corvette person and im tired of seeing a c5 in every parking lot... i woudl rather just sell it and get EVERYTHING else paid off so maybe some day i can get a car that stand out...

-me

p.s. If anyone wants to buy an 00 FRC with 45k on the odo in the condition its in pm me an offer...

Silver/Pewter
    2000 C5 Corvette 6psd

I have a BM ripper installed myself and it was doing something similar a while back. Its adjustable front to back. (it pop out of first gear and it got worse and worse quick til i had to do something). I took apart the interior and adjusted the connection, then did some light test runs, harder and harder and then a TOUGH launch and so far its been good since. Do you have an aftermarket shifter on your car or is it stock?

1966 Corvette Coupe

stock shifter...

-me

Silver/Pewter
    2000 C5 Corvette 6psd

oh its stock? crap well good news is my bros 'maro has done that before but usually hasnt been a problem. If I were you I'd say the best thing to do, take a look at these instructions http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/fil...ctions/681.pdf

take apart everything all the way until you get to the two BIG T-star bolts (on the right inside the console on the shifter assembly). and Do NOT disconnect the shifter (otherwise you will need a new gasket) from the assembly. You can adjust the shifter by loosening those two big bolts and moving the entire shifter assembly forwards and backwards, thats what i meant in my earlier email. If you pop out of first its probably too far one way or the other (i forget which, but you'll know when u mess w/ it). The trick is to get it right in the middle when you adjust it, so it gets into both good, and then tighten those two big Tstar bolts down good. Then if you over adjust itll do the same popping out of second (but not first). Speaking of which, your car constantly pops out of first but does second work more or less ok? Even third maybe? because if the other gears work more or less ok and first doesnt then this is most likely your problem (unless you really have reason to believe you broke stuff in your tranny- these tranny's are built to take punishment especially if your car is even close to stock). If this all seems like too much, then just take it in; but if you're willing to get your hands "dirty" (I dont think Ive ever got my hands actually DIRTY from working on my vette) involved is probably a better word, I think you should be able to fix this urself ok. Goodluck

1966 Corvette Coupe

every other gear works fine... except reverse has issue every now and then, but not near as bad as first...

thanks for the info... ill try it out...

-me

Nik

red
    2001 corvette

are u the original owner because 45k isnt a whole lot for a tranny to go bad I mean someone would have had to suck at driving stick either that or its a lemon and as far as adjusting the stock shift linkages it shouldnt be much different from an after market shifter I mean everything needs an adjustment basically what im saying is I think there is something else wrong not the syncros but other than that yeah it sounds like a tranny job. If it was me I could find a t56 in need of rebuild form someone for around 300$ so id buy a second one have a shop rebuild it then just swap tannys and sell the one you take out youd be down the labor of r&r plus rebuild of the one already out of the car.

1966 Corvette Coupe

i shifted it forward a bit and it seems to be doing better...

-me

Thread Information