Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

Tell me I'm not crazy, 2005 C6 for $22k

ok so I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a newer car, my major considerations are 2010 Camaro SS, 2011 5.0 Mustang (I know it's not GM but it's hard to not at least consider) and C6 Corvette. I'm not going to buy new so not many 2011 mustangs out there I can justify paying top dollar for yet.

Anyway my best friend came across what could be a fabulous deal: 2005 corvette with 7kmi in mint condition (plastic still on floor mats), owned by (literally) a 93 year old man whose family is losing confidence in his ability to drive safely, so they are looking to sell it and I’m told the price will be around $22k, It’s White Ext. /Red Int. (not my color combo of choice but not terrible) It’s a 6-speed, but I haven’t seen it in person yet so I don’t know the build options.

So tell me I’m not crazy if I jump all over this and if down the road I feel it’s not the car for me I could sell it myself and easily get more than I have in it.

I’ve driven dozens if not 100’s of C5 corvettes but never even been in a C6, as I understand it the C6 is a small step up in performance across the board over a C5 with a large step up in refinement in the interior? Regardless it should be a massive step up from my ’98 TA even with it’s bolt-ons correct? LS2>LS1 with bolt ons?

Just making sure I'm not over estimating how good of a deal this would be if they go through with it, seems to me it should be a $30k car. Thanks for any input you can provide.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

22k is a good price. The corvette chassis itself is a better platform. So yes this is a step up over a 98 Trans am. As for power the ls2 has 400hp, a bolt on and tuned ls1 can make 400hp crank so the power might be pretty close but the vette is a lighter and as i said before a better platform all around performance wise. My last ls1 car before my C5 was my 2000 Trans am that put down over 400whp so it was alot faster than my stock ls1 corvette but IMO the vette is still an improvement.

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

If you can get it for 22K, I'd jump on it. I hate the interior of the C6 and the '05 steering wheel, but other than that the C6 is a pretty nice car and is miles ahead of a 4th gen F-Body.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Be sure to run a carfax on it as well.

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenFlame View Post
    If you can get it for 22K, I'd jump on it. I hate the interior of the C6 and the '05 steering wheel, but other than that the C6 is a pretty nice car and is miles ahead of a 4th gen F-Body.
    I thaught the C6 interrior was a big step up over the C5? (again based on reading, I haven't been in a C6 yet). Is it the layout you don't like? what don't you like about the steering wheel? thanks for the input.
    Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Be sure to run a carfax on it as well.
    I will if it looks like the deal will happen, I think it all hinges on the guy allowing his children to convince him to sell the car and the price remaining around the $22k mark. I have no doubts about the cars condition, my best friend is the guys mechanic and has serviced all his cars since before he bought the vette. Crossing fingers

You've Seen The Butcher GoldenFlame's Avatar

2009 Silverado Z71
    2003 Corvette MN6 Black

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmX2 View Post
    I thaught the C6 interrior was a big step up over the C5? (again based on reading, I haven't been in a C6 yet). Is it the layout you don't like? what don't you like about the steering wheel? thanks for the input.
    Its just subject to personal taste. I have a problem with the interior of almost any new GM car (Especially the new Camaro). Everything is Plastic, Modern looking, Sharp Designs ( Everything looks boxy), whereas the C5 is more rounded and more attractive IMO.. I don't like the electric buttons for the door latches either..

However I do love the C6 shifter and have one on my C5

C6

C5

Navy Blue, Dark Cherry
    98 M6 TA, 87 A4 TA

ahh, thanks for the clarification, also I heard someone complain about leg room in a C6 vs a C5, I was under the impression that the the legroom was basically the same as the C5, is it not?

I just need to go test drive a C6....

MACHINE SILVER
    2005 C6 CORVETTE

if the car checks out , That is an excellent deal. Drive a C6 and you'll never look back...
    A/R HEADERS , Z06 NPP EXHAUST, M TO W VISOR CONTROL , LINGENFELTER GT1-1 CAM, TEXAS SPEED CNC PORTED HEADS , INTAKE AND THROTTLE BODY , VARARAM INTAKE , DTE PHASE II 4:10 REAR WITH TRANS BRACE AND Z06 SWAYBAR , Z06 BRAKES , FULL GM WIDE BODY KIT , IFORGED TRK-14 WHEELs

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

How does a 93 year old man get in and out of a C6 ? And how does he drive a M6 trans ? I'm 50 and I have a hard time inthis vehicle. If it is as good as you say it is I will buy in NOW !

MACHINE SILVER
    2005 C6 CORVETTE

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    How does a 93 year old man get in and out of a C6 ? And how does he drive a M6 trans ? I'm 50 and I have a hard time inthis vehicle. If it is as good as you say it is I will buy in NOW !
    Very Slowly...

Yellow
    2006 Z06 LSX 427 TT Corve

Thats a great price, my dad is in the same boat trying to sell his 2000 C5 for $19.5k but his car has 26k miles and about $9k in upgrades to the motor and rearend. I think he might have only put 200 miles on the car this year. lol

LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by TransAmX2 View Post
    ahh, thanks for the clarification, also I heard someone complain about leg room in a C6 vs a C5, I was under the impression that the the legroom was basically the same as the C5, is it not?

I just need to go test drive a C6....
    legroom is roughly the same, youll love the c6. Ive owned both c5 and c6, and the 6 is worlds better in my opinion. If you pass on the deal pass it along!

Heading to ft lauderdale this weekend to pick up this gem:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqZ,!oME63(ZymfmBPC5V8FW5w~~_4.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	118.5 KB 
ID:	23567

Ray Charles blue

Dude! You were thinking of my Z28 and now you get another Vette? SWEET!

I see the side scoop like a Z06 in fronf ot hte rear tires but not the wide body.

LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    Dude! You were thinking of my Z28 and now you get another Vette? SWEET!

I see the side scoop like a Z06 in fronf ot hte rear tires but not the wide body.
    must be the angle, it is a wide body but not a z06. Haven't bought it just yet but its at a deal. Got offered 4k more than what I paid for my 05. This one has simple mods,wide body and 40k less miles. Preparing for the market bump when the c7 comes out

Ray Charles blue

Hell yeah man..........

I am diggin it.

murdered out 06 z06

the look of the interior is cool but its all junk. the dash and door panels get some kind of build up on them from who knows what.... the seats on my z wont hardly keep me in place when turning lol its still a bad ass car though. never really cared about luxurious interior crap.. i didnt even want navigation. it is a step up from the c5 though. ive had both gen z06s

Blog Entries

Sebring Silver
    1998 Corvette

You can't go wrong with a Vette. When they were still making Pontiacs, I considered them, Mustangs and Camaros. The Vette won because they are timeless. However, since they stopped making the Pontiacs they are worth holding on to.

Thread Information