Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Stick vs. automatic

This is a discussion on Stick vs. automatic within the Corvette forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Well I spent $2700 on my lil 4L60E...the complete list of modifications are about 15-20 things done to it. severely ...

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Well I spent $2700 on my lil 4L60E...the complete list of modifications are about 15-20 things done to it. severely overhauled to a point that when my car shifts at high throttle or WOT, it BANGS into the next gear, my tires slip, and i get whiplash. i know you M6 guys can get that feeling if you shift as hard and fast as you can, but there's no 'back-and-fourth' motion you get when the clutch is released, just a pure hit into more power.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k View Post
    Well I spent $2700 on my lil 4L60E...the complete list of modifications are about 15-20 things done to it. severely overhauled to a point that when my car shifts at high throttle or WOT, it BANGS into the next gear, my tires slip, and i get whiplash. i know you M6 guys can get that feeling if you shift as hard and fast as you can, but there's no 'back-and-fourth' motion you get when the clutch is released, just a pure hit into more power.
    Its called powershifting. No matter how much you build up an automatic, it can never match the true feel of a direct connection to the wheels that a manual trans provides.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Its called powershifting. No matter how much you build up an automatic, it can never match the true feel of a direct connection to the wheels that a manual trans provides.
    no offence but a shift kit and/or a tune. . .it will rock your world

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    no offence but a shift kit and/or a tune. . .it will rock your world
    I know all about shift kits and built up autos. My Dad has a built 700R4 on his Vette. When you floor it, the engine jumps to the powerband and stays there while the trans pounds through the gears. Like I said though, still doesn't come close to matching the feel of a direct connection to the wheels that a manual trans provides. Different, but not the same. I happen to prefer manual, it just suits sports cars much better.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

when my car shifts at high throttle or WOT, it BANGS into the next gear, my tires slip, and i get whiplash.
    ^Me and this guy both know^. . .just because you havn't experienced it doesn't mean it isn't true, your dad probably has REALLY high gears and/or a huge stall

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    I know all about shift kits and built up autos. My Dad has a built 700R4 on his Vette. When you floor it, the engine jumps to the powerband and stays there while the trans pounds through the gears. Like I said though, still doesn't come close to matching the feel of a direct connection to the wheels that a manual trans provides. Different, but not the same. I happen to prefer manual, it just suits sports cars much better.

Black
    2002 TransAm Firehawk

I Agree

yup. when my old trans was going it wouldn't shit out of 2nd gear till 6500 RPM at WOT. you could reprogram it to shift wherever you want at either regular, moderate, or WOT throttle; however, you better be damn sure you have a trans and corresponding parts that can handle the beating. My trans shifts so hard WOT that the rear end sways to the right on the highway when im testing it out. I don't wanna sound corny about this, but I feel like it shifts harder and faster than some M6 guys I know. The only thing that makes the M6 guys shifts feel more drastic is because of the gap of power when they clutch, but that only means they're losing power and you feel the grasp back into the torque they were at.
    I have a pretty much stock LT1 A4, Stock trany no stall..yet. I had 2.73's and put 3.42's in a week ago and I catch rubber into 2nd, I mean around 6 grand its quick and direct! Dont get me wrong, I am shopping for a LS1 M6, but its starting to change my mind.
    Last edited by Hawk241; 08-01-2006 at 10:09 PM. Reason: spelling

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz View Post
    ^Me and this guy both know^. . .just because you havn't experienced it doesn't mean it isn't true, your dad probably has REALLY high gears and/or a huge stall
    Nahh.

He's got 4.11's with a 2800 Stall. Nothing too radical.

Like I said though, its just not the same feeling as an M6, and our cars both have about the same WHP.

Velocity Yellow
    2006 E-Force blown Z06

Everyone has their own preferences. Its really about what you prefer. Myself, the 6 speed just gives you more control over the car in every situation
    2006 E-Force supercharged Z06

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by BlownC5 View Post
    Everyone has their own preferences. Its really about what you prefer. Myself, the 6 speed just gives you more control over the car in every situation

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

M6 or A4

I'm buying my first vette within a couple days, Im shopping around now.
    This thread hits home for me, because I have had 4 Trans Ams (93,97,98,99)
    All 6 speeds. I love the feel of the stick shift (that sounded gay), but I have drove 2 auto vettes and 2 6 speeds so far in my quest to find my perfect vette for the money. Im looking at a 2001 probally. Arond $27,000

Anyway I think a vette is a differant kind of sports car, I would have never said this before 2 weeks ago, but I think Im gonna go with an auto, even if it is 4/10 second slower to 60 and 3/10 in the quarter.

The way it feels when you floor it, and it downshifts, is wonderful yet it shifts smoothly, Also off the line the 2 autos I drove wouldnt hardly peel out, they just launched (yes I turned off the traction controll)

My 99 TA I have right now is faster, but hey its a vette.The vettes corner so much better by the way. and ride more smooth. Im a little excited. If you cant tell.

Hey, all you corvette guys, what is the first mod I should do?

Velocity Yellow
    2006 E-Force blown Z06

Quote Originally Posted by preston1980 View Post

Hey, all you corvette guys, what is the first mod I should do?

If you buy an automatic, I'd start with a good air intake, then 3.42 gears and maybe a higher stall torque convertor. That should really wake the car up. Good luck

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

If you buy an automatic, I'd start with a good air intake, then 3.42 gears and maybe a higher stall torque convertor. That should really wake the car up. Good luck
    Agreed.

However, I would never even consider buying a Vette with an auto. Its just totally defeats the purpose of the car. Its not a drag racer, its a sports car, and any good sports car always has a manual transmission. Ever take a stalled auto through some winding roads?? Well let me tell you its a joke, autos are only good for straight line, and thats only if they are stalled/built up and have gears. The Corvette is a true sports car, 99% of the people I see driving automatic Vettes are old guys who drive slow as shit and only care abou the looks of the car, not its real performance potential.

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Well I changed my mind quick

I went to sign all the papers on my 01 vette, I saw a 2003 Cobra on their lot, and while they were looking at my 99 TA for trade in, I looked it over.

It is bright red, only 11k miles, same price as the 01 vette which has 55k on it? (5 times the miles)

So I drove it, and oh my god!!!! This car scares me!! They had just got it on there lot yeserday, I was the first to test drive it, anyway, the prvious owner has put on a differant pully on the charger and a knn filter and some sort of tuning and exhaust.
    I would say it is runnig close to 500 hp.

So I cancelled the vette and changed to the Cobra!! same payment to.

Sorry to all the vette fans, but the power differance is to much to overlook.
    I just got it home tonight and I cant quit looking at it, its beautiful!!

I love the vettes and I mite regret it, but I love the sound of that supercharger and the exhaust note says "Look at me"

I paid $25,225 and got $8,000 for my 99 TA with 94k on it, hope I didnt get rippeed off

your parts guy!!! 1fastcamarosss11's Avatar

trans am 00 ws6
    1998 camaro ss vert

a little high but if only 11k miles good deal. you could have got more for your car. well good luck, but don't become that guy.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

You made a good choice. If looking at a vette get either a C6 or ZO6. The base C5 isn't really worth the trade from a Fbody. 03 up Cobra is really the only worth while F word. Although they don't look as good as the Vette's and don't handle as well either.

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by 1fastcamarosss11 View Post
    a little high but if only 11k miles good deal. you could have got more for your car. well good luck, but don't become that guy.
    dont worry, I wont ever bash Gm cars, I love em. This is my 3rd mustang, I had an 89 GT 5.0 and a 91 LX 5.0 as well. I love all american sports cars.
    This is my first Cobra, but so far so good.

By the way, today on my way home from work I raced an 05 GTO, Im not bashing it, but it was not even close. I read that they have 400 horse, but this guy must have been a poor shifter or something, because I beat him pretty bad and Im still not that good at driving this car because it is completly differant from my 99 TA.

Anyway, Im way off topic for this thread. Peace all

Metallic Red
    2002 Corvette Coupe

Good advice. Look at my sig and you will get an idea of some things you can do.
    Michael
    In GA waving from '02 C5 LS1, Z51, D1SC, 60lb injectors,RPM level 5-4L60E, 3:42, Yank 3600, QA1-12 ways, MTI long headers, high flow cats, Borlas, Wilwood, 603rwhp, 542rwtq.(DynoJet 248-C) 10.89@127.57 on street tires, Race Weight 3,640 lbs

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information