Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Stick vs. automatic

This is a discussion on Stick vs. automatic within the Corvette forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; There is only really a few tenths between an A4 and an T56. I kinda believe that the engine would ...

White
    2001 Trans Am

There is only really a few tenths between an A4 and an T56.
    I kinda believe that the engine would be in better shape on an auto, simply because the ECM wont let you accedently drop it into 1st instead of 3rd @75MPH! Alot harder to bend rods!

so, do you have to get supporting mods with a shift kit? and they are good b/c they make more up line tension? and what's the difference between a ratchet shifter and a shift kit? Sorry, I don't know anything about transmissions, or cars really

Black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

The difference between a shifter and a shift kit in the trany is that a shifter is just that it's what you use to put your car in gear a shift kit makes the trany shift different because it actualy changes the shift points of the trany and line pressure of the trany

black
    Twin Turbo C5 Stroker WS6

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight
    I've been looking around and pricing Corvette's, since I plan to get one by late May. I've never had one before (but had several F-Bodys, Grand Nationals, and Mustangs), and want to try a 'vette. I'd like one between 1995 and 1998. However, I was astounded to learn that (at least the ones I've seen so far, and I've looked up over 30 since I started looking) that the overwhelming majority were automatics. Now, I'm not the kinda guy to put anyone down, so I apologize if I offend anyone, but...Who in their right mind would even think about spending all that money and getting an automatic? Now, not knowing much about Corvettes, I imagined the majority would be stick. Heck, at worse I thought it would be 50-50. Boy, was I wrong! What is the actual percentage, and why so many autos? Is this because they attract a lot of old men trying to pick up 18 year-old girls who were poor as kids and never had anything fast in their youth, hence they don't know how to drive sticks? What gives!
    I bought my first vette a month ago (01) and there were far more 6-speeds than autos...you werent looking in the same places as me. Funny thing was I could have got a Zo6 or convertible for the same price as my A4 coupe...how pitiful is that?

Im the same as you...bunch of F-bodies, GNs, and Mustangs. I think the difference is you havent put in enough transmissions and clutches on the garage floor. Four clutches and 2 transmissions in my 383 stroker was enough. Besides Autos make twin turbos manageable
    Good luck!
    Last edited by Whocares; 05-22-2006 at 04:37 PM.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

iliketranams

Alot of people get autos because they are more consistant thats true, there very few people out there that can shift as fast or as consistant as an auto.I can't shift my auto manualy even though I've put a shift kit in that said you could shift into any gear at any rpm but the trany guy told me that's more hype then truth. The trany guy also said if I was able to shift the trany like that it might trip codes that could retard my timing or worse put my car in limp mode until the code were cleard. so I just delt with it that I can't shift the trany manualy.But the shift kit was worth it,shifts alot better now.

Sorry man, I don't think you can buy a RMVB for the 4L60E since it is electronic, but I'm sure or near sure somebody has produced something to over-ride the controls for your shifting pleasure, or you could always swap in an older hydro transmission, Thanks for all the help !

thanks junkman!

Victory Red
    2006 Cobalt SS s/c

Just joined and had to give my opinion on this subject...

If you are worrying about going down the straights as consistantly as possible, or if you are putting out serious power (as my good friend with an 80 camaro with a 502, later this year being blown is doing), the automatic is the way to go. or if you just like crusing

if you enjoy the naturality (if thats even a word) of driving a sports car, and dont care if your 2/10's slower or 2/10's faster because when you drive a stick you get that "great car feeling" (u kno what im talking about), and when you drive an automatic you search for that clutch pedal and dont kno what to do with your right hand , get the stick

just my opinon

and thats all there is to that really. There should be no real debate, pusha050 has really laid it out very nicely

blue
    2005 vette

automatics are definitely faster there is to much lag time with foot movement with a stick there is none with an automatic.

blue
    2005 vette

Quote Originally Posted by TSteff
    If you are going to keep it stock, or mostly stock, a stick is definitely faster and better MPG than an auto. I have a 6 speed and love it, but for the serious racer a stick would be far less consistant and slower. It all depends on what you're going to do with it.
    automatics are definitely faster there is to much lag time with foot movement with a stick there is none with an automatic.

soon to be T.A. owner

i totally agree with enzo.. the fastest quarter mile cars in the world use autos... all u do is a transbrake and hold ur right foot down and u dont gotta waste ur time on the clutch or throw of the tranny.

GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by C5_LS1 View Post
    manuals are for spirited drives and autocrossing, autos are for straight line

Hit the nail on the head!

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

I checked a few sites...Said the average age for a NEW Vette owner is 49+ .... That is why there is so many autos

Velocity Yellow
    2006 E-Force blown Z06

The autos just simply sell to a larger majority of consumers. The 6 speed is the way to go though!
    2006 E-Force supercharged Z06

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Quote Originally Posted by BlownC5 View Post
    The 6 speed is the way to go though!
    For you.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k View Post
    For you.
    And for anyone else that wants the experience of a true sports car

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    And for anyone else that wants the experience of a true sports car
    For those of you that don't want to be the one winning a drag race

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k View Post
    For those of you that don't want to be the one winning a drag race
    Autos are good if you build them up for straight line racing, and thats it. They positively suck at everything else.

They are more expensive to buy in the first place, get much worse fuel economy, are much less efficient and put less power to the wheels than a manual, and they are not nearly as fun to drive. They also suck for road racing, auto-xing, and spirited driving.

So what if a stalled and built automatic can beat a comparable 6-speed car in the 1/4 by a few tenths. Its not even close to outweighing all the negatives, for me at least. The manual car is still better at everything else, and I'd much rather have the more well rounded and fun to drive package.

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post
    Autos are good if you build them up for straight line racing, and thats it. They positively suck at everything else.

They are more expensive to buy in the first place, get much worse fuel economy, are much less efficient and put less power to the wheels than a manual, and they are not nearly as fun to drive. They also suck for road racing, auto-xing, and spirited driving.

So what if a stalled and built automatic can beat a comparable 6-speed car in the 1/4 by a few tenths. Its not even close to outweighing all the negatives, for me at least. The manual car is still better at everything else, and I'd much rather have the more well rounded and fun to drive package.
    The auto may be more expensive in every other car on the planet, but the 6-speed in f-bodies and vettes costs more than the 4l60E

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information