Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Stick vs. automatic

This is a discussion on Stick vs. automatic within the Corvette forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; [QUOTE=mavrikZ] Originally Posted by boobs get wtf u want.. preference.. and mavricz is a professional at being the administrator in ...

soon to be T.A. owner

[QUOTE=mavrikZ]
    Quote Originally Posted by boobs
    get wtf u want.. preference.. and mavricz is a professional at being the administrator in these types of threads.

Uhh, should I say 'thank you' or 'fuck you'... just jackin with ya, boobs!
    lol its "thank you" haha im here to make friends not enemies..

White
    2001 Trans Am

Cool beans!

soon to be T.A. owner

Quote Originally Posted by mavrikZ
    Cool beans!
    lol now that thats cleared up im gonna get an lt1 and show u with dyno numbers just how much better they are than ls1s... lol jk but ya hopefully i can get the a4, stall it at about 3500 rpm, headers, and a line lock... it will be good to go..

White
    2001 Trans Am

Hope you are not expecting too high of #'s with a stall like that! But, do it. Ill have to check it out when I drive back down home(Texas).

soon to be T.A. owner

what kind of stall should i get.. o btw its getting a hotcam too.

But what about since all the C5s are used now? Wouldn't the engine of an average A4 C5 be in better shape than the average M6 C5 since you can't redline the motor with an A4?

With an M6 C5, seeing as they are sports cars, you could consider having to replace either the engine or the trans at any time.

With an A4 C5, the engine had to have lived an easier life since it hasn't been redlined, no missed gears, etc...leaving only the trans to consider...

Or does the A4 C5 redline at a WOT shift / is it possible to redline the engine with an A4? Thanks for the input you have.

Also, it's not possible to put an A4 in the wrong gear, meaning it's not possible for the A4 C5's engine to have seen over the rev limiter.

Also, how many tenths to 60 and through the 1/4 mile are we talking?

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

why would you not be able to redline an auto, that doesn't make sense, no offence. at WOT it's gonna give it all the hell it can

I've not driven a A4 LT or LS, so none taken, but I would assume the trans would shift before the engine redlined, no?

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

yup. when my old trans was going it wouldn't shit out of 2nd gear till 6500 RPM at WOT. you could reprogram it to shift wherever you want at either regular, moderate, or WOT throttle; however, you better be damn sure you have a trans and corresponding parts that can handle the beating. My trans shifts so hard WOT that the rear end sways to the right on the highway when im testing it out. I don't wanna sound corny about this, but I feel like it shifts harder and faster than some M6 guys I know. The only thing that makes the M6 guys shifts feel more drastic is because of the gap of power when they clutch, but that only means they're losing power and you feel the grasp back into the torque they were at.

Red
    1998 WS6

not if you keep your r's up... or powershift

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by justanothertech
    I've not driven a A4 LT or LS, so none taken, but I would assume the trans would shift before the engine redlined, no?
    The computer adjusts shift point to your driving. the harder you are on the throttle the higher it takes it before it shifts. At WOT it holds it to redline, you're giving it everything so it holds it out all the way. When you are part throttle around town it shifts before redline, when you are barely on it at all it will shift through all the gears without ever passing 1500 if you baby it up to speed

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Quote Originally Posted by oneBADDz
    The computer adjusts shift point to your driving. the harder you are on the throttle the higher it takes it before it shifts. At WOT it holds it to redline, you're giving it everything so it holds it out all the way. When you are part throttle around town it shifts before redline, when you are barely on it at all it will shift through all the gears without ever passing 1500 if you baby it up to speed
    more like if you accel. like your in a corolla. i was amazed when one of my friends got one...it would shift at like 3000 RPM where my car would shift at 1500 and his idle was about 1200 RPM, where that would be my RPM at 45-50 MPH, but that's a convo for another post.

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k
    more like if you accel. like your in a corolla. i was amazed when one of my friends got one...it would shift at like 3000 RPM where my car would shift at 1500 and his idle was about 1200 RPM, where that would be my RPM at 45-50 MPH, but that's a convo for another post.
    I really don'te understand what you were trying to say there, lol. A corolla shifts at higher rpm under the same load because it has a different powerband than your ls1. my daily driver protege5 runs over 3 grand on the highway. They run more rpm because it's a whole different machine, can't be used for the point in this situation. Bottom line, the harder you accelerate the higher your automatic will go in each gear before shifting. If you accelerate slower it shifts at a lower rpm.

So with a A4 does it go into redline or shift right before, if the car isn't messed up? How many tenths would an A4 lose in comparison with an M6?

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

to onebaddz, its because they have NO POWER. takes more stress to put out the same movement.

justanothertech, itll shift however it is programmed to shift. you have different powered shifts depending on the throttle position. the wider throttle openning, the higher it shifts. if you want it to reprogram it to shift way in the red, but like i said before you better know what your doing. the only reason mine reached way into the red is because it was slipping and not shifting. as far as track times, you may have a .5 to .3 track timing difference. i'm waiting for the stick-maniacs to chime in, but thats what ive been told.

Black
    1998 Camaro Z/28

The difference between a4/m6 is only 2-3 tenths and thats stock for stock but if you put a shift kit in the auto it would be alot closer if not just as quick, let a lone if you were to put in a stall converter it would be quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by junkman
    The difference between a4/m6 is only 2-3 tenths and thats stock for stock but if you put a shift kit in the auto it would be alot closer if not just as quick, let a lone if you were to put in a stall converter it would be quicker.
    I know this is real dumb, but I always wondered exactly what benefit a shift kit added, b/c don't people like auto's for the consistancy? If you shifted it yourself, wouldn't it take that consis. away?

I think a shift kit makes the A4 shift harder, up line pressure to increase clutch pack grip, etc.

Unless you get a RMVB and an electronic controller the car will still be shifting itself

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

Quote Originally Posted by justanothertech
    Unless you get a RMVB and an electronic controller the car will still be shifting itself
    Can you do that? I was under the impression that you had to swap to a th400. I want a ratchet shifter, but it seems kinda pointless on a 4l60e, but if what you are saying is possible with a 4l60e I am ready to pee my pants with joy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information