Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

red
    2002 camaro ss

Question Question for c5 and c6 owners

sinereio, if you were in the market for a used vette, which would you perfer? a c6 coupe with high mileage,60,000 miles or a flawless c5 coupe or conv. with 19,000 miles, i heard that the c6 is a much better car? signed,curious or a used c5 z06 over all them? on a budget mind you
    Last edited by camaross1; 09-21-2010 at 02:56 PM. Reason: add content

Red, Pewter
    03 cobra07 street glide

What are you wanting to spend? personally after looking at the interior of the c6 compared to the c5 i like the c5 better. and the outside i just love those pop up headlights. personally i like the looks of my c5 coupe better than a c6. 60000 miles isn't very much anyways on a car drive both see what you like better. my next car will most likely be a c6z06 because i want a ls7.

red
    2002 camaro ss

that was just a senerio, wanting views from both owners c5 c6, i would be happy with either one, perfer c5 over c6 or c6 over c5? i dont mean new, yes i would take a brand new c6 over c5, example; price range near equal, so a used c6 high mileage or c5 low miles? i would like to hear from someone that has owned both, just to hear what he has to say, probally c6 is the answer, thats why im asking? share your thought please

C5 vs c6

It seems like there is about a $10k gap between a low to average mile C5 vs. a C6. You can easily bump up the power of the C5 to 400+ rwhp. I think it is the C5 for the next few years yet. BTW - I own a 17k mile 98 C5 vert and really am enjoying it.

victory red
    2007 zo6

i have owned both, newer ones are better !! they are always getting better !!

victory red
    2007 zo6

2002>2004 zo6 were 5.7/405 horsepower, not bad ! 2006 and newer are ls7/427/505 horses.. 100 more horses and more torque[i love] also more upgrades..if you can swing it go for c6 zo6 b/c, you can compete anywhere -pure stock- no mods are needed, also 100,000 warranty deal..rkvette

LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

I loved the feel of the c5 but Im slowly falling in love with the feel of the c6

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

The C6 is a better car in every way, from the interior to the non pop up headlights, which are much brighter.
    Go to the library and check out any books on the C6 and you'll see that GM took into consideration all of the complaints from owners of C5 Corvettes, and addressed them with the C6.
    Is the C6 a perfect car? Not by a long shot, but just as the C7 will be a better car than the C6, the C6 is a better car than the C5. Car evolution...simple.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

I recently detailed a c5 and noticed that the interior door and dash skin was shedding and cracking in a lot of places. It has made me very turned off by that car.

red
    2002 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    The C6 is a better car in every way, from the interior to the non pop up headlights, which are much brighter.
    Go to the library and check out any books on the C6 and you'll see that GM took into consideration all of the complaints from owners of C5 Corvettes, and addressed them with the C6.
    Is the C6 a perfect car? Not by a long shot, but just as the C7 will be a better car than the C6, the C6 is a better car than the C5. Car evolution...simple.
    i agree mr hyde

Torch Red
    2000 Corvette

Just my opinion, the C6 may be a better car interior-wise and performance-wise but you just can't help UGLY!! To me and a LOT of other C5 owners the C5 is the best looking Vette style of all the gens. I like the Z06, ZR1 and GS models but the base model body C6 is just not cutting it! My built 2000 Vert beats up on my buddies 06 C6 coupe pretty easy and it cost a whole lot less!

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by 91redragtop View Post
    Just my opinion, the C6 may be a better car interior-wise and performance-wise but you just can't help UGLY!! To me and a LOT of other C5 owners the C5 is the best looking Vette style of all the gens. I like the Z06, ZR1 and GS models but the base model body C6 is just not cutting it! My built 2000 Vert beats up on my buddies 06 C6 coupe pretty easy and it cost a whole lot less!
    So let me make sure I'm getting this right. The base C6 is UGLY! But with the simple addition of the wide body to the base car, IE the G/S the Z06 and the ZR1, you amazingly now LIKE the car.
    Then we must compare your built C5 to your buddies C6, and we don't know if it's stock or modded because you weren't insightful enough to share that info with us, your car beats it up.
    I can't begin to tell you just how much I enjoyed reading your post, and now knowing your all important opinion on the C6.
    I guess I should be happy to know that you actually like my Z06.

Torch Red
    2000 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    So let me make sure I'm getting this right. The base C6 is UGLY! But with the simple addition of the wide body to the base car, IE the G/S the Z06 and the ZR1, you amazingly now LIKE the car.
    Then we must compare your built C5 to your buddies C6, and we don't know if it's stock or modded because you weren't insightful enough to share that info with us, your car beats it up.
    I can't begin to tell you just how much I enjoyed reading your post, and now knowing your all important opinion on the C6.
    I guess I should be happy to know that you actually like my Z06.
    Yes, the wide body rear end is the reason why I like the Z's and the GS plus the hoods. To me, the slab side in the rear of the base model is very ugly, as is the huge gap between the windshield/hood/front fender. This is a small gripe but I can't believe that the designers took Corvette out from between the taillights and put a little bitty one down in the corner, that was a sort of part of the Vette tradition since the C4. I just like the flowing curves of the C5 better and like the pop-up headlights. That is the beauty of life, we are all different in our likes and dislikes and if someone asks a question of owners of both cars, we should be truthful in our answers. As far as my buddies C6, it is an intake, exhaust and tune car. Mine is intake, cam, headwork, full exhaust and tune.
    I actually DO like your Z06.

Red
    2001 WS6

I can admit if the c6 didnt come out with the wide body i wouldnt be owning a c6 right now. A base model c6 does nothing for me appearance wise.

red
    2008 Z06

Its preference, what one do you think looks better IMO.
    But the 08's have the LS3 430 hp or whatever but you can probly get into a C5 Z for the price of an 08.

I see this debate everywhere most guys with a C5 will tell you C5 and the same with the C6.
    I think the C6 (ZR1 and Z06) is the best looking and preforming vette ever. The split window would be nice to have too.

Torch Red
    2000 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by clint195 View Post
    I can admit if the c6 didnt come out with the wide body i wouldnt be owning a c6 right now. A base model c6 does nothing for me appearance wise.
    I see even some C6 owners feel the same way too! As for the C5, I want a set of fender flares and 12 or 13" wheels in the rear so bad I can't stand it. I think they look better too with the wide fenders. Just looks meaner that way!

Torch Red
    1997 Corvette

C5 Owner

Call me old school but I always liked the pop up head lights. I never owned a Corvette before and I told my wife I wouldn't spend more than 20 grand on a car. I wanted a Red Vette and it had to be a C5. I found one in excellent condition 1997 with 48,000 miles bone stock for a good price well below 20.
    My whole idea was to get one stock and mod it myself. That is excatly what I am doing right now. I think it is all a matter of your own personal taste. If you want a Hot one and don't intend to work on it yourself by a Z06. Me I like doing things myself.

1997 Red C5. Callaway Honker CAI, LS2 TB, FAST 102 Intake, 160 degree stat, AR Long Tubes with no cats and Magna flow Mufflers. I am doing it a little bit at a time. Next step will be a 410 gear and a upgraded clutch. Once those are installed I am doing Heads and a Cam. Should be close to 500 hp at the rear wheels and I will be able to say I made it that way myself. Thats worth it to me. Yes I am putting another 8 to 10 grand in it. I will still have less in it than a low mileage C6 and it will all be done right. We have to pay personal property tax in Kansas believe me a 1997 is a lot cheaper than a 2006 plus the insurance. Yea I am an old guy so I get a break but you have to take everything into consideration

victory red
    2007 zo6

bucketlist1957- i agee with your plans 100% !! your saving some bucks,and having some fun working on the corvette..

Light Metalic Carmine Red
    1998 Corvette LS1

If you can find a low miles C5, without the crap, HUD, memory, etc. get it. Check it out with a fine tooth comb. Z51 would be nice but not too live without... You will have to add the goodies later....... C6, if you are in the 7 figure income range, ZR1 is the baby.

Blue & Black
    2010 ctsc

I was in a simlar situation and opted to go with a c5 vert with 58,000 miles. Car is bone stock and very very clean. For me it came down to how much cash I had to spend. Its been 2 weeks and I'm still as excited as the day it came home.

Thread Information