Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Purchase C5 or CTSV

This is a discussion on Purchase C5 or CTSV within the Corvette forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by That Guy 2-1 ummm ... CTS-V!!! lol, I'd love the 'vette and its performance but with a ...

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by That Guy 2-1 View Post
    ummm ... CTS-V!!! lol, I'd love the 'vette and its performance but with a baby its not even as practical as a f-body (rear seats). But for you, Vette!
    I fit 3 people in an 88 Corvette, it can be done.

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    And I've seen 15 Mexicans in a Malibu! Lol

pewter
    99 vette

Quote Originally Posted by 001CamaroSS View Post
    Hey everyone, I am in a bit of a dilemna. I sold my SS almost a year ago now and I am sick of not having a testosterone outlet! So I think I'd like to get a ctsv or a c5, ctsv of course the LS2 version (I'd get an ls9 if I could). Anyways, just looking for opinions. I don't have a family, am in the Air Force and move to arizona this spring. I won't put crazy mods on the car, but will do a few bolt ons. I want it to be reliable and very fun. What do you think? By the way if you have any other suggestions, know that I am a GM nut. Spending about 20-30K
    you can buy a C5 and dump some money in it and make it a beast, you can get a nice c5 for around 15-19k

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

I personally would suggest the Corvette, and seriously consider the Z06, you won't miss being able to remove the top that much...this is experiance talking here.
    But...you need to test drive each car first, I really don't know why you would consider the CTS-V with no kids...hell, later in life you'll HAVE to drive a sedan, when you do have kids.
    NOW is the time to get your Vette.
    Just for the record, I've owned 6 Camaros,(the last one with a modded LS6 crate engine putting down 500HP) and they were great cars...but they are NOT even close to a Corvette in any performance catagory.
    Drive a Z06 before you decide on a regular model Corvette, and I guarantee you will buy it. Drive all three and then you'll be posting pics of your Z06 for all of us to enjoy.
    Okay...I'm all done.

2011 Prius

IDK about the C5, but the C4. It's not a pain in the ass to take the top off, but not as easy as a F-Body. The Trans Am, just pulled a lever and it's off. The Vette, I have to get a little tool out and take some screws off and it's off... Takes to long and such a pain in the ass compared to a F-Body, I probably won't take the top off again. Buy the Zo6.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    I fit 7 in my 96 formula hard top.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    Just for the record, I've owned 6 Camaros,(the last one with a modded LS6 crate engine putting down 500HP) and they were great cars...but they are NOT even close to a Corvette in any performance catagory.
    Okay...I'm all done.
    I disagree with the performace catagory line, not trying to take anythign away from the vette as I love them and have driven quite a few. The f-body platform can be built to accel, and stop just as good as any vette. Accel just takes power the ability to hook and weight plays a factory, stopping just takes wide tires and a pricey brake package. But a f-body will never touch a vette in handling.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

I get you, but I was referring to STOCK vehicles, the F-Body can, as some of mine were, built to be better handling cars, better stopping cars etc...
    But from the showroom the Vette has it all over any F-Body, but that's why they cost more, I'm only stating the obvious, GM's flagship is the Corvette, and it should be a better car overall than anything else they manufacter.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    I get you, but I was referring to STOCK vehicles, the F-Body can, as some of mine were, built to be better handling cars, better stopping cars etc...
    But from the showroom the Vette has it all over any F-Body, but that's why they cost more, I'm only stating the obvious, GM's flagship is the Corvette, and it should be a better car overall than anything else they manufacter.
    Stock vs stock the vette will win against a camaro/T.A. for sure. The only thing they will have to look out for is that new z28 with 550hp and even then its only the base vettes and grand sports that have to worry about losing to that car in a straight line.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I'm curious to anyone who has konis, good springs, and a panhard bar. How would that compare to a c5?

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    I'm curious to anyone who has konis, good springs, and a panhard bar. How would that compare to a c5?
    IRS and 50/50 weight distribution thanks to the tranny mounted at teh rear of the car makes the vette a much better platform. Sure a f-body with some supension upgrades might get close to a stock c5 in terms of cornering but then you think well what happens if the vette does the same mods? The vette will once again have a huge advantage. The f-body platform in gerneral isnt a good one for getting into hard core twisty racing. But they can be made to handle pretty good.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

With a driver in an f-body, it's known to be split 50/50...

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

According to Motor Trend, the weight distribution on the last year F-Body was 58/42. The best the car could muster was a .88 on the skid pad.
    I seriously doubt a driver sitting in the BACK seat could balance that to 50/50.
    Corvettes routinely beat 1.00 (or better) on a skid pad.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

I beg your pardon, I meant to write Road and Track, not Motor Trend. My bad.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

No problem, someone on here actually weighed their car and told me that. Not motor trend and yes I know the f-body can't handle stock.

Just curious what it can do modified since none of us really leave our cars stock.

Silvaa
    2007 Corvette

These are good points, I think it has to be the vette. I did have an 01 SS, about 425hp, it was a sweet car, but my buddy had a c5 and it wasn't as fast, but outhandled and outbraked my car, it felt more solid in twistys definitely. My old man has an 07 z06, it is SICK, that's my one last dilemma now. Z06 or targa. Of course now that I am talking about it, I'm like it would be nice to S/C it.

Arctic White, red/gray

Whoever told you this is a liar.

99 Z28 04 Corvette

I think the 19/20 inch wheels on my vette hurt performance.. my camaro rides smoother.. but they look cool, thats what matters. haha

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

No problem, someone on here actually weighed their car and told me that. Not motor trend and yes I know the f-body can't handle stock.

Just curious what it can do modified since none of us really leave our cars stock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Whoever told you this is a liar.
    see above

Arctic White, red/gray

see above
    see what above? A driver in the driver seat would not make the car 50/50 weight split.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 11-27-2009 at 07:42 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information