Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

An old man and his Corvette

This is a discussion on An old man and his Corvette within the Corvette forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by taylorr12 No there's just no sense in driving a drag car on the street. It may be ...

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by taylorr12 View Post
    No there's just no sense in driving a drag car on the street. It may be streetable, but not reliable.
    Heh, I was under the impression from your previous posts... that you guys accepting WIC and all, wouldn't have the money to build cars that were drag ready as it's not cheap.

So, since you appear to have had two vehicles modded for racing, then I guess you've come into some money...

Good for you

3-Time F-Body Offender doozjamann's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 SS Camaro

I've seen that go both ways. Some very nice show car restores are worth close to as much as numbers matching cars, and some are worth more. The exception to that are the completely original low production cars. GM's COPO, YENKO, Motion, Berger lines.

Own experience. Saw a 69 Camaro vert show car custom interior, powder coated chassis spotless. Buy it now price was 12K on ebay, called my brother told him I was going to buy it if he wanted in. Woke up the next morning it was 135K

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by doozjamann View Post
    I've seen that go both ways. Some very nice show car restores are worth close to as much as numbers matching cars, and some are worth more. The exception to that are the completely original low production cars. GM's COPO, YENKO, Motion, Berger lines.

Own experience. Saw a 69 Camaro vert show car custom interior, powder coated chassis spotless. Buy it now price was 12K on ebay, called my brother told him I was going to buy it if he wanted in. Woke up the next morning it was 135K
    That's very true. I keep up with the auctions (Barret Jackson and Mecum as well) and I've seen some nice clones go for big bucks. Custom restores too. But, I agree that the low production cars are worth keeping stock

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Heh, I was under the impression from your previous posts... that you guys accepting WIC and all, wouldn't have the money to build cars that were drag ready as it's not cheap.

So, since you appear to have had two vehicles modded for racing, then I guess you've come into some money...

Good for you
    He has the truck, if you read what I posted it says OLD nova as in he doesn't own it anymore. The truck he has had for awhile and spends money on every now and then. And like I said, we use the wic wehn were really tight for money. Not every voucher we use.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by taylorr12 View Post
    He has the truck, if you read what I posted it says OLD nova as in he doesn't own it anymore. The truck he has had for awhile and spends money on every now and then. And like I said, we use the wic wehn were really tight for money. Not every voucher we use.
    That's why I said "have had" not have Even one car being modded for drag is very expensive and continually costs money.

That's why I said "have had" not have Even one car being modded for drag is very expensive and continually costs money.

If it breaks, it sits till he saves up enough money to fix it. It sat for 3 months till he got up enough money to rebuild the tranny he just bought becuase the guy who rebuilt it is a dick and put stock parts back into it.

None

I can see it both ways!

I have every part I started with, except my exhaust pipes!
    U do only live once, and I did it at a point in my life where I do
    not think that I will have anyone to pass it on to. Now at almost
    42 probably not going to bring me a big price tag!

Peace Out!
    Last edited by SS02; 11-28-2008 at 12:57 PM. Reason: ops

None

Good for you
    I drive a rusty truck... to keep my car out of bad roads in NE!
    And mine is far from a drag car! I wish I could have two and
    a nice truck, but the Lord has decided that I need to watch my
    money! I struggled real hard for 02 SS.

Maybe someday... Good for them!
    Oh by the way, prefer turns in my racing

Peace to all!

Black
    2002 Camaro SS SLP

Too bad u cant do this to a Camaro..
    2002 Camaro SS A4 - SLP# 2951 l MS4 l LT's w/ORY l F.A.S.T 78 & TB l Borla l Cutout l CME l TCI 3500 l 3.23's l !emissions l !sway

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

When you mod if you think everything out and dont halfass everything then your car will be much more reliable in many ways. Given example. You put a trans temp guage in, one day while cruising you notice the temps are going up slowly, you pull over and find that it has sprung a leak, you have just saved your tranny. I dont believe in modding cars either.

NBM
    99 TA

the more i mod my car, the less i want to drive it (as a DD) but rather just stare at it in the garage, and cruise around here and there.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by KyleLs1 View Post
    the more i mod my car, the less i want to drive it (as a DD) but rather just stare at it in the garage, and cruise around here and there.
    Funny thing is...that was the ultimate demise of my 2001 SS Camaro! I so heavily modded it that I had to CONVINCE myself that I even wanted to drive it, and it wasn't my daily driver.
    Hence the purchase of this Z06, and the fact that I will do NO big mods to this car, just simple little mods like window tinting, the 1.5" lowering, and the cold air intake. I don't even think that I'll do a cat-back on this car now that I've opened up the valves on the mufflers.
    It sounds pretty good with the stock mufflers now that it's able to breathe a bit through all 4 openings.

Still The Junior Member RedVertTA's Avatar

Red+White Top and Stripes
    2000TransAmConvertible A4

Smile Not all of the older generation are purists.

I can't say all of the older guys are purists. I especially can't say that for my Dad, he's 68 and is not a purist in the least bit. I think I got the hotrod gene from him, he was a 50's child, had a custom 53 Ford with a built up flathead and could outrun anyone in his town (Even outran police a couple of times, never caught ).

Recently I've been considering a cam swap. When I told him I was thinking about just throwing in a cam and leaving the heads on the car and he said, "What! Only cam? That's no good, you really ought to do a port job too."
    FAST 90/90, SLP Lid, Kooks JetHot Coated LT's, American Racing Y-Pipe+Magnaflow Cats, DHM Electric Cutout, Flowmaster American Thunder Catback, HP Tuners Software, 343 rwhp.

BMR Convertible Subframe Connectors, Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace, BMR Driveshaft Safety Loop.

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde View Post
    I should have mentioned that my neighbor's Vette is his daily driver! Complete with all the dings, scratches, scrapes, and windshield pings that go along with it. Not to mention the 3.2 million miles that are accumulating on it.
    Hardly a collector's dream...
    I don't think we'll be seeing his at Barrett-Jackson's when we're all old and gray(er).
    I think the main point I am attemting to make here is this. To mod or not to mod is the question.
    Let's take a look at what GM thinks;
    They offer performance exhaust systems that you can buy right there from the dealer and have them installed! They are GM parts for crying out loud! That's just one example, there are many more.
    Again, I understand that some people want to leave them just as they bought them, for various reasons, I respect that.
    I personally just couldn't imagine driving a bone stock car. To me it would be as if the car was painted appliance white (no offence to those who own white cars please) and it had "Refrigerator" painted on the side.
    One last note: I took the car in to get it aligned after the lowering, and the tolerances that GM builds into them allows just such a mod with no ill effects. The settings were NOT changed, so apparently you CAN lower them for the weekend, then raise em back up for your commute without having to re-align them.
    I take my hat off to GM for this remarkable engineering, even though I had to pay them for the potential alignment. It was worth it!
    Last note; I did not slam mine, but rather only lowered it 1.5" in the front, and 1" in the rear, I cannot say if the alignment would hold if you dropped it 2.5" like some people do.
    I am a man who doesn't mind admiting when he's wrong, and I was wrong about the aligment issue here. I went straight to the aligment shop after lowering the car, and everything was still within factory specs, the car tracked straight as an arrow, and the steering wheel was dead center.
    However, after several days of settling, I would guess about a week, the car began to pull to the left and it took a good pull on the wheel to keep it going straight, which was now anything but dead center.
    So, I stand corrected, you certainly WILL need an aligment after dropping your car, even if it's a small amount, just make SURE you allow the car to settle. When I took it back the guy at the shop agreed to this and said he assumed I knew this and that the car had already settled, and there was no additional charge.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information