Need a Cam

This is a discussion on Need a Cam within the Corvette forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Ok,I am wanting to put a cam in my 99 c5 and would like a little advice. There are so ...

Black
    1999 corvette

Need a Cam

Ok,I am wanting to put a cam in my 99 c5 and would like a little advice. There are so many choices and so many cams to choose from, I want my car to still be drivable , its not a daily driver but if I want to get in it and go 500 miles I can. I have a vararam VR-B2 Ram Air on it and lg pro long tube headers (no cats) with borla catbacks and I have had it tuned! I right now have 350 rwhp and would like to get close to 400 if not a little over with the cam if this is possible, I want a good lope to it but do not want it so it won't idle with the air on! Can anyone give me some advice on this?
    Thanks ;David
    Last edited by seefive99; 04-11-2009 at 07:33 PM.

Millennium Yellow
    '02 Corvette

I have a comp cam 224/228 with a .581 lift and it gets the job done. Its not a big cam but its a little more than a mild cam.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

230 is a badass cam, and a 228 is the bigger of the "daily driver" cams. Talk to your local tuner "since you'll need him anyway and tell him what you told us. If you can afford it get a custom grind.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

heres a 226/228 cam

you get the idea

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

Quote Originally Posted by c5z28 View Post
    heres a 226/228 cam

you get the idea
    Exact same cam that is in my car which is a daily driver.

Black
    1999 corvette

228/230 587/590 lift on a 114 LSA
    CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THIS IS A MILD CAM OR IS IT PRETTY HEALTHY?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by seefive99 View Post
    228/230 587/590 lift on a 114 LSA
    CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THIS IS A MILD CAM OR IS IT PRETTY HEALTHY?
    The 114 lsa makes it more mild but, it's pretty freakin close to what you saw in the vid, but w/ any of these cams your not going to be getting the same gas mileage. Where did you find this cam?

And everyone always wishes they went bigger.

Black
    1999 corvette

I was on the corvette forum and a guy had it, he had bought a bigger cam so he could put a supercharger on his car, he said he had about 3000 miles on this one and gave it to me for 150.00 so I bought it last night. Will this cam have a good lope to it and how bad will my gas mileage be?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

I was on the corvette forum and a guy had it, he had bought a bigger cam so he could put a supercharger on his car, he said he had about 3000 miles on this one and gave it to me for 150.00 so I bought it last night. Will this cam have a good lope to it and how bad will my gas mileage be?
    Dude you don't buy cams for gas mileage-period. City will suffer highway driving might vary slightly, ask the guy who had it what he got. It's going to sound real good, now you just need springs pushrods and someone to throw it in for you.

Black
    1999 corvette

I also bought a brand new set of 918 springs last night and I called RPM of Lewisville today and he told me all that I need was the springs, he said it will take him a day to put it in so when I get it just give him a call. I payed 400.00 for the tune and its free from now on no matter what I do to my car, he does charge 60.00 dollars for the dyno run, He said he would put it in for 550.00 so I am going to let him!

Blue
    2002 Z28 Camaro M6

I also bought a brand new set of 918 springs last night and I called RPM of Lewisville today and he told me all that I need was the springs, he said it will take him a day to put it in so when I get it just give him a call. I payed 400.00 for the tune and its free from now on no matter what I do to my car, he does charge 60.00 dollars for the dyno run, He said he would put it in for 550.00 so I am going to let him!

They do good work, in fact that is where my cam was installed. I would try to leave it with them for at least a day or two so they can get a chance to really dial in the cold start tune.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Get some hardened pushrods sometimes you find a bent stocker when you take them out. And some vids of the tuning.
    I know it's one of those things that cost more money (300 plus more to install if you don't do it yourself)but you may look into an ls-6 manifold to help w/ the top end over you ls-1 manifold.

Black
    1999 corvette

Already looking for a ls6 intake, RPM actually told me to get the intake before the cam! Thanks for the heads up on the pushrods!

Thread Information