Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Man and his dog found dead in 2007 Corvette

A man and his dog were both found dead inside his prized Corvette. It appears the power failed in the Texas heat and he was unaware of the location of the emergency release to open the doors and exit the car. Very sad and not the brightest design feature.

James Rogers and dog dead after getting locked in Corvette with dead battery | Daily Mail Online

How to open the car in the event of a battery failure.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Wow. That's really sad and messed up. What a dumb design. Hopefully this tragedy will bring some much needed awareness to the situation and alleviate the incident from occurring again.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Unless that glass was bullet proof it wouldn't have stopped me from kicking it out to get out of. Sure this wasn't a suicide?
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Wow. That's really sad and messed up. What a dumb design. Hopefully this tragedy will bring some much needed awareness to the situation and alleviate the incident from occurring again.
    If I remember right 2007 coupes were targa roofs, couldnt he have just popped the roof up like I do on my T/A?

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Unless that glass was bullet proof it wouldn't have stopped me from kicking it out to get out of. Sure this wasn't a suicide?
    Guy was 72 years old. I imagine that trying to get into a position inside where you could get good leverage to kick out the window from inside could be a challenge, especially if you aren't that flexible any more.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

wonder if at anytime in his life he said "people are too attached to their cell phones"? Kinda ridiculous on several fronts. I don't care how old you are....if you're so old you can't break the window of a car in order to survive you shouldn't be driving in the first place. Why would a car maker even build a car where this is even a possibility? How hard would it be to put a mechanical unlock in the actual door where they've been for 100 years?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

That is really sad. And honestly, I agree, why the hell isn't there a latch on the door? (I watched the video and I realize there is one down below) That is taking streamlining a bit overboard. Does everything have to rely on a remote or battery these days? Remotes are cool and everything, but my hands still work...

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

I think you may be on to something here. Suicide seems to be the only answer for this one.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

"Port Arthur Police Department told KHOU there were footprints all over the inside of vehicle, which Mr Rogers called his 'dream car', showing the man had desperately tried to escape"

Navy Blue Metallic

Damn.....^^^

Was this in an isolated area?

Wonder if family is going to sue GM for such a stupid design. Kinda surprised this hasn't come up before?

Why can't they just put a simple door handle on the inside of the door like every other car has had for the last 100 years, duh!!

And why do you have to pop the trunk to access a lever to open the door from the outside?? What ever happened to a door key and handle??

That has to be some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen. Pretty scary to think when the battery dies it suddenly becomes extra complicated to get in or out of the vehicle. Stupid electronic crap. Alot of this is the reason why my wife wants to go back to driving classics. She's already started driving my old 79 pickup truck back and forth to work and parked her camaro until I get the 69 Z ready for her.

Scott, I have a strong feeling GM hasn't heard the last of it from this family.

Okay rant over

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

"Port Arthur Police Department told KHOU there were footprints all over the inside of vehicle, which Mr Rogers called his 'dream car', showing the man had desperately tried to escape"
    He may have started out to commit suicide but then had second thoughts.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    That has to be some of the dumbest shit I've ever seen. Pretty scary to think when the battery dies it suddenly becomes extra complicated to get in or out of the vehicle. Stupid electronic crap. Alot of this is the reason why my wife wants to go back to driving classics. She's already started driving my old 79 pickup truck back and forth to work and parked her camaro until I get the 69 Z ready for her.
    Funny me and my wife were talking how the older cars were so much simpler to work on.

Funny me and my wife were talking how the older cars were so much simpler to work on.
    They are WAY simpler, and parts are much cheaper too. Just all around way less complicated. If one dies you know it's either fuel or spark which consists of a fuel pump and a set of points. Easy road side repair stuff, there just isn't much else to them.

If you don't know me by now my wife and I are classic car guru's, been around them all my life. I still drive them as much as I can. I like alot of newer stuff and probably will always have something in that catagory but classic cars take precedence over anything else in the garage. She has just decided she's had enough of all the bells and whistles and wants to drive the classics more.

Navy Blue Metallic

I liked when HPP mag would show how ppl were taking modern blocks and converting them over to Carb setups and putting down similar power and mpg as fuel injection motors.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    He may have started out to commit suicide but then had second thoughts.
    Or not and just died.

I liked when HPP mag would show how ppl were taking modern blocks and converting them over to Carb setups and putting down similar power and mpg as fuel injection motors.
    They are still doing that today with the LS engines, the new hemi's etc...They still make more power on the dyno with a carb. Just watch the engine masters challenge and you'll see dozens of examples of it. High end big name engine builders competing against each other and they choose carbs over fuel injection.

That doesn't mean I don't like fuel injection, I do. But lately it just keeps getting more and more complicated, more expensive to work on, to the point I believe they just don't want anyone messing with it. That direction is just not for me.

Thread Information