LS1 swap into C3?

This is a discussion on LS1 swap into C3? within the Corvette forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Maybe I'm just a little bit on the crazy side, just want to know how possible this is. Thought came ...

Black
    C5 M6 Vette

LS1 swap into C3?

Maybe I'm just a little bit on the crazy side, just want to know how possible this is. Thought came up when I saw a rolling chassis for sale locally and saw some cheap LS1s online pulled from totalled cars (unfortunately they all autos). Maybe it's worth it, maybe it's not. Just wondering if anyone knows a website with tips or conversion kits or have some experience with this. Thnx!

Silver
    1997 Corvette

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by BanditTransAm View Post
    Maybe I'm just a little bit on the crazy side, just want to know how possible this is. Thought came up when I saw a rolling chassis for sale locally and saw some cheap LS1s online pulled from totalled cars (unfortunately they all autos). Maybe it's worth it, maybe it's not. Just wondering if anyone knows a website with tips or conversion kits or have some experience with this. Thnx!
    It is very possible. I saw one at the run to a Christmas Toy donation.The owner fired it up and drove away... It was sweet. I would think you need the whole computer hardware and electrical horness. I've also seen a LS1 in a
    1957 Chevy.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

a slightly cheaper route would be using an lt1. just incase you never thought of that.

Navy Blue
    2000 Firebird

Very do-able. If anyone would be interested, I could update you guys on the progress of my project as it comes along.

Quicksilver
    2001 Z06 Corvette

I would go for it! LS1 engines are getting very affordable, and are way easier to make respectable power without going all out on mods and aftermarket parts.
    I put a 4th Gen F-body T56 6 speed (behind a SB 350) in a friend's '81 C3 with very little trouble. Great fit with modified '81 crossmember and shifter stick/interior shift boot.
    I believe there are engine mount adapters out there, shorty headers, and other aftermarket swap parts coming out 'everyday'. The lack of a distributor and the LS1's low profile intake should make fitting it under a stock hood very easy. The only 're-engineering' should involve the front accessories clearing the C3's upper 'A' arms.

Brown
    1980 Corvette

I have a 1980 Vette I also have a line on LS1 out of a 2001 T/A with Auto
    4L60E Trans. Has anyone put one of these Engines in a 1980 Vette. I need all the info you can give such as whitch Motor Mounts Plates put the Trans in the same place as with 82 Vette thay came with 700R4. I have the cross member from a 1982 Vette. I was going to use the 700R4 with my old 350 SB
    until I heard about the LS1's power. HELP

Thread Information