Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Keep it or buy a C5 Corvette?

This is a discussion on Keep it or buy a C5 Corvette? within the Corvette forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; i have seen early c6 vettes for under 25k with less than 60k miles so don't limit yourself to a ...

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

i have seen early c6 vettes for under 25k with less than 60k miles so don't limit yourself to a c5,check prices before you buy.my stock automatic 07 ran 12.77 @110 so they are plenty quick even with a ls2

Enough said
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red

2009 CTS4 Ice Black

2013 1500 Silverado Z71

02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

Impounded

black
    why are you willing to sell such an awesome car i would say to stick to your 2000 ferrari

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
    Sad truth is i got much more compliments in both the ta and g8 than the vette. But f em,i like it
    thats because you cant throw a rock around here without hitting a vette...t/a's are less common, but the average person wont look twice at one unless its a real bad ass looker..or black and loud lol..

Blog Entries

black an red
    00 z28 and 00 corvette

I found an awesome 2000 vette on craigslist, its black an completely blacked out with heads, cam and a fast intake and tb, its listed for 12700, if interested I can email it, I would have put it on this thread but my phone is acting weird

black with silver stripes
    2001 trans am ws6

i am looking into getting a vette also,i have a 01 ws6 w/heads & cam,bolt ons,i found a vette i want so bad i cant stand it, but, i dont wanna get rid of my ws6, ive had it for 10 yrs have alot of money and work in it,so im kinda attached to it,but i want this vette really bad, ive been trying to keep both cars but run into a dead end everywhere i turn,no bank wants to finance the vette because its a 2000 model,and the seller wants 7k over the book value but it is worth it being that it is fully built,procharged 850hp,but banks dont look at that stuff,so any suggestions on somewhere that might finance a car like this,if i cant find a place the last option would be to sell the ws6,or if the buyer will do a trade w/cash.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by BRANDON View Post
    i am looking into getting a vette also,i have a 01 ws6 w/heads & cam,bolt ons,i found a vette i want so bad i cant stand it, but, i dont wanna get rid of my ws6, ive had it for 10 yrs have alot of money and work in it,so im kinda attached to it,but i want this vette really bad, ive been trying to keep both cars but run into a dead end everywhere i turn,no bank wants to finance the vette because its a 2000 model,and the seller wants 7k over the book value but it is worth it being that it is fully built,procharged 850hp,but banks dont look at that stuff,so any suggestions on somewhere that might finance a car like this,if i cant find a place the last option would be to sell the ws6,or if the buyer will do a trade w/cash.
    I couldnt tell off hand in your state were to go but maybe you could put your cars title down as collateral on a loan?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I would not suggest putting anything down as collateral - doubting that is an option anyway, at least through a structured financial institution. That will only give the loan officer an option to take away your TA in the event payment default occurred; example, one late payment.

You can always add those amenities (turbo, supercharger, etc to obtain that HP) to any car. Get a car you can afford through a regular bank loan and finance the goodies through another avenue. I put my Procharger build parts on a credit card with 0% interest for 18 months and had it paid in full in 15 months.

Any place that will give you a loan for a car that is priced well above its current value will probably have an interest rate you would not like anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by gbenz View Post
    Hi all!
    I have a 2000 Formula with 514 rwhp, 6L 418 iron block, 6 spd, 9" Moser rear end, and all of the goodies to support the power. I am thinking about selling it and buying a C5 vette. How many of you have sold your F-Body and bought a Vette and have no regrets? My first Pontiac was a 72 Firebird 350, then I had 78 T/A 4-spd black and gold, an 88 GTA and now the 2000 Formula! I love the C5 styling but want to know if anyone has switched and regretted it later! Thanks in advance for your response! Make it a great day!
    I recently aquired a C5 Z06, but I didn't get rid of the Fbodies to do it. Actually my wife likes driving her SS camaro and has no interest in the vette at all.

The Z06 is the only C5 I would consider from that era. One hell of a car for the money, and claimed to be the best bang for your buck right now. Very nice low mile examples selling right at or near the $20k mark, you just don't get much better of a car for that kind of money.

What you have to ask yourself is whether the vette is a practical car for you. Might want to keep that 4 seater Fbody around for that reason. For myself the vette isn't practical at all which is why mine will be going up forsale. Neat to have, but I much rather prefer something that seats at least 4 people.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    I would not suggest putting anything down as collateral - doubting that is an option anyway, at least through a structured financial institution. That will only give the loan officer an option to take away your TA in the event payment default occurred; example, one late payment.

You can always add those amenities (turbo, supercharger, etc to obtain that HP) to any car. Get a car you can afford through a regular bank loan and finance the goodies through another avenue. I put my Procharger build parts on a credit card with 0% interest for 18 months and had it paid in full in 15 months.

Any place that will give you a loan for a car that is priced well above its current value will probably have an interest rate you would not like anyway.
    ...but he says''no bank wants to finance the vette cause its a 2000 model''

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

They won't finance it because the asking price is also 7K above what the bank is allowed to finance a used car for. That's my interpretation anyway. I have financed several used cars in my life through a financial institution. You probably have too. Banks are only allowed to give loans based on the value of something. Same with houses. If a house is valued at 100,000, the bank won't approve a loan for $150,000 in most cases. You'd need to have the house appraised for that first. Loans are becoming more and more difficult to obtain after the housing market bubble. OP didn't state the specifics of why they wouldn't finance it so that's my guess since no other personal info was disclosed.
    It's on jackstands.

It appears that car is $7k over book because it's heavily modded (supercharger etc..) That stuff just isn't going to be advertised at book values, just the way it is.

If you want something out of the ordinary that is custom and modded, may as well forget about the banks and book values. You'll need cash to purchase cars like this if you feel it's worth the money.

It's like going to the bank to buy that LS6 chevelle you've always wanted. When you tell them you need $100k and the bank looks at you funny and says, "well the book says it's only worth $1995.

It's sort of funny here in Arizona, and I know other states do this as well. They charge your license plate fee based off of car value, using the blue book. I can take one of the classic cars appraised at close to 6 figures to the DMV and they look at book value and charge me based off of about $1,000 So I walk out of there with plates for under $20.
    On a brand new car however they really stick it to you, plates can be $600 or more annually. Which is why I'd hate to own a brand new car.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    It appears that car is $7k over book because it's heavily modded (supercharger etc..) That stuff just isn't going to be advertised at book values, just the way it is.

If you want something out of the ordinary that is custom and modded, may as well forget about the banks and book values. You'll need cash to purchase cars like this if you feel it's worth the money.

It's like going to the bank to buy that LS6 chevelle you've always wanted. When you tell them you need $100k and the bank looks at you funny and says, "well the book says it's only worth $1995.

It's sort of funny here in Arizona, and I know other states do this as well. They charge your license plate fee based off of car value, using the blue book. I can take one of the classic cars appraised at close to 6 figures to the DMV and they look at book value and charge me based off of about $1,000 So I walk out of there with plates for under $20.
    On a brand new car however they really stick it to you, plates can be $600 or more annually. Which is why I'd hate to own a brand new car.
    Really on the last part^ about stickin it to ya on a new car..When i got my 02 SS it was just like that at first now its still $133.00.... but thats still way better then when it was new.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    Really on the last part^ about stickin it to ya on a new car..When i got my 02 SS it was just like that at first now its still $133.00.... but thats still way better then when it was new.
    Yeah, my wifes 2000 SS is only $56 now, apparently it's not worth much anymore, just the way I like it

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Yeah, my wifes 2000 SS is only $56 now, apparently it's not worth much anymore, just the way I like it
    Wow..thats only a two year difference than my ride but less ,I guess it all comes down to our states taxes etc huh?..Id much rather pay the $56 no doubt.....
    Last edited by SuperSSguy; 01-31-2013 at 11:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSSguy View Post
    Wow..thats only a two year difference than my ride but less ,I guess it all comes down to our states taxes etc huh?..Id much rather pay the $56 no doubt.....
    Yeah probably has alot to do with state taxes and the fact that the cars depreciate alot each additional year.
    In 2007 my wifes 2005 Jeep Rubicon which was already 2 years old at the time was still over $300 for a yearly tag,,,I hated that and sold the jeep the following year.
    I'll be putting tags on a 2001 Z06 I just aquired shortly. It's only a year newer than my wifes 2000 SS but being a vette I'll be interested to see how the state views that as far as value and tags. Chances are good that I won't be keeping this one either
    Funny though, the insurance on it is cheaper than my 72 blazer by $26

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by BlownC5 View Post
    If you have to go with one car, get the C5. You won't be sorry. If you can though, keep both!
    well said.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information