Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 21

intake manifolds for y2k vette

This is a discussion on intake manifolds for y2k vette within the Corvette forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Im trying to think of which intake manifold to upgrade to for my y2k c5. Im looking for a good ...

  1. #1
    Lightning Speed! AntsSilverC5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    hayward/castro valley, CA
    Posts
    95

    Silver/Pewter
    2000 C5 Corvette 6psd

    intake manifolds for y2k vette

    Im trying to think of which intake manifold to upgrade to for my y2k c5. Im looking for a good balance between price, and performance. Im thinking about simply going with the ZO6 intake, but any recommendations or suggestions? Also where should I look for one?

  2. #2
    Welcome to the dark side vader97's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern, NJ
    Age
    42
    Posts
    43

    Red Jewel Tintcoat
    2010 Camaro SS

    I just installed a 78mm FAST LSX intake manifold on my 97, and I'm very happy with the increased performance it gave my Vette. I have stock heads and cam, and contrary to what everyone says, it did make a difference

  3. #3
    Lightning Speed! AntsSilverC5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    hayward/castro valley, CA
    Posts
    95

    Silver/Pewter
    2000 C5 Corvette 6psd

    yea, i noticed they make 78mm and 90mm, what would i need to bump up to 90mm? (a proper size throttle body im guessing). The next mod i was thinking about doing was a throttle body, followed by the intake manifold, but that would be dumb to get the wrong one for the intake im thinking about...

  4. #4
    Lightning Speed! AntsSilverC5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    hayward/castro valley, CA
    Posts
    95

    Silver/Pewter
    2000 C5 Corvette 6psd

    the throttle body i mean, any ideas guys?

  5. #5
    Pistol Pete '96 Z28SS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cowboy Country Stillwater, OK
    Age
    32
    Posts
    265

    Bright Rally Red
    1996 Camaro SS

    I would go with the LS6/Z06 intake, get it without the egr provisions. Its more affordable and will still increase power. The Fast intakes are great, but can get pricey.

  6. #6
    rebmeM roineS NemesisZ06's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in hurricane alley!
    Posts
    208

    Millennium Yellow
    '02 Corvette

    I would go with the FAST intake.

  7. #7
    Member ramrod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Roscoe
    Age
    38
    Posts
    449

    GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

    Quote Originally Posted by AntsSilverC5 View Post
    the throttle body i mean, any ideas guys?
    Nick Williams!

  8. #8
    Member ramrod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Roscoe
    Age
    38
    Posts
    449

    GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

    I also wanted to let some of you know even thou I am running a BBK intake. I am suffering major heat retension. When my car was being dynoed there was a 30 to 40 hp loss. Hope that helps!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    292
    2000 Corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by NemesisZ06 View Post
    I would go with the FAST intake.
    Quote Originally Posted by ramrod View Post
    Nick Williams!


    Probably selling my setup by the way. FAST90, 90 Nick Williams T/B and the FAST was ported by Mamo. Paid 1150 and thats what I want for it. Never even installed just real close to doing F/I and may be the key to affording it

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Age
    37
    Posts
    9

    Silver
    1997 Corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by '96 Z28SS View Post
    I would go with the LS6/Z06 intake, get it without the egr provisions. Its more affordable and will still increase power. The Fast intakes are great, but can get pricey.
    I agree. LS6/Z06 can be picked up at half the price of the Fast. If you ever decide you need to go bigger you can always get your money back and move on.

  11. #11
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    I would definitely go with the LS6 manifold (no EGR or course) unless you are planning on going with a big heads/cam package later on. The LS6 flows more than enough for stock and mild/midrange heads and cam packages though.

  12. #12
    Lightning Speed! AntsSilverC5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    hayward/castro valley, CA
    Posts
    95

    Silver/Pewter
    2000 C5 Corvette 6psd

    ...the ZO6 intake is starting to sound really good performance and pricewise... guys explain me though what the heck is the EGR?

  13. #13
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by AntsSilverC5 View Post
    ...the ZO6 intake is starting to sound really good performance and pricewise... guys explain me though what the heck is the EGR?
    EGR stands for "Exhaust Gas Recirculation". In other words, the system pulls exhaust gases from the manifolds and redirects them back into the intake manifold to be reburned, for cleaner emmissions, since not all of the fuel in the exhaust is burned the first time around. Essentially its a useless system that is there to get the car to clear emoissions, nothing more. Its so unimportant that 01-02 F-bodies didn't even have ERG, nor did any Corvettes.

    Its easily identifiable by the EGR tube that plugs into the top front of the intake manifold, as well as the ERG valve mounted to the front of the passenger side cylinder head and the tubes that run to the manifolds.

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    292
    2000 Corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by AntsSilverC5 View Post
    ...the ZO6 intake is starting to sound really good performance and pricewise... guys explain me though what the heck is the EGR?
    Price-wise maybe, performance-wise definately not. I have joined in several threads about the LS6 and it seems the majority agree 4-6 HP at most. I got a whopping 4.7, same day same dyno, the shop forgot the LS6 intake and so then had to redyno immediately after the install (it took them a whopping 20 minutes and 120 dollars in labor , but thats another story). Its ultimately up to you but I would save and get one that makes proven power, unless you wanna go F/I because the clamshell design of the FAST may wanna come apart under boost.

  15. #15
    Lightning Speed! AntsSilverC5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    hayward/castro valley, CA
    Posts
    95

    Silver/Pewter
    2000 C5 Corvette 6psd

    4 to 6 hp ??? On advertisements I see up to 15hp gains at the rear wheels on westcoastcorvettes.com and thunderracing.com. I was hoping to get at least 10hp and then purchase a 80mm TB to go with it (another 6-8). But only 4-6 hp gain for a whole new ZO6 intake manifold?? that sounds kinda depressing. Anybody else put a ZO6 intake on their stock C5? what kinda results did u get ?

  16. #16
    Lightning Speed! AntsSilverC5's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    hayward/castro valley, CA
    Posts
    95

    Silver/Pewter
    2000 C5 Corvette 6psd

    here check this link out for ls1howto.com http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=5 read the very bottom, according to the guy


    "The very next day after the install I took the car to the dyno. The results were astounding! I gained a peak of 24rwhp, 14ftlbs of torque. The dyno graph on the left shows the results". Might this be because im guessing its an fbody? but even so, Fbodies ls1 i dont imagine is THAT much different than a C5 LS1 (if barely at all). I mean Id guess the C5 would get more. if personal experience differs though. i have a feeling im gonna go with the zo6 intake with a 80mm TB once i save up for it. hopefully it all works out. Ill keep you guys posted!

  17. #17
    Member ramrod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Roscoe
    Age
    38
    Posts
    449

    GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

    Quote Originally Posted by AntsSilverC5 View Post
    here check this link out for ls1howto.com http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=5 read the very bottom, according to the guy


    "The very next day after the install I took the car to the dyno. The results were astounding! I gained a peak of 24rwhp, 14ftlbs of torque. The dyno graph on the left shows the results". Might this be because im guessing its an fbody? but even so, Fbodies ls1 i dont imagine is THAT much different than a C5 LS1 (if barely at all). I mean Id guess the C5 would get more. if personal experience differs though. i have a feeling im gonna go with the zo6 intake with a 80mm TB once i save up for it. hopefully it all works out. Ill keep you guys posted!

    Get the FAST! Do it. Do it! Not to contradict myself, but LG has a nice TB. I might toss the NW TB for it.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    292
    2000 Corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by AntsSilverC5 View Post
    4 to 6 hp ??? Anybody else put a ZO6 intake on their stock C5? what kinda results did u get ?
    Can anyone else with real world experiences post their gains. There is no way 24/14 from an LS6 intake unless they were running the LS1 on a 427 motor. My guess is that the car was untuned/improperly tuned with the old intake and after the new intake was put on it was perfected. The same way the new Z's were getting 40-50 RWHP from headers- dynoing stock then headers AND tune and many would jump from 430 to 470+ on "only" headers. Then one tuner got smart and tuned the car before and ran a baseline, headers only netted around 20-25 after that tune was good for half the gain.

    The 2001 Corvette (and later C5s) were upgraded to the LS6 intake and what was the power jump from '00-'01? 345 to 350.

    I can tell you that others will gain more/less, no motor is the same.

    Mine was not stock by the way. Stock cubes but had Halltech Stinger intake, U/D pulley, L/T headers and a cam when those runs were made. Oh, and I was also told that it would get me 12-15 extra horses by the shop I bought it from.
    Last edited by powermad; 06-30-2007 at 07:10 AM.

  19. #19
    The Bandit Wesman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    4,033

    SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

    Quote Originally Posted by powermad View Post
    Can anyone else with real world experiences post their gains. There is no way 24/14 from an LS6 intake unless they were running the LS1 on a 427 motor. My guess is that the car was untuned/improperly tuned with the old intake and after the new intake was put on it was perfected. The same way the new Z's were getting 40-50 RWHP from headers- dynoing stock then headers AND tune and many would jump from 430 to 470+ on "only" headers. Then one tuner got smart and tuned the car before and ran a baseline, headers only netted around 20-25 after that tune was good for half the gain.

    The 2001 Corvette (and later C5s) were upgraded to the LS6 intake and what was the power jump from '00-'01? 345 to 350.

    I can tell you that others will gain more/less, no motor is the same.

    Mine was not stock by the way. Stock cubes but had Halltech Stinger intake, U/D pulley, L/T headers and a cam when those runs were made. Oh, and I was also told that it would get me 12-15 extra horses by the shop I bought it from.
    Well you just posted a hell of a lot of speculation in regards to HP gains.

    Here is what I can tell you from personal experience. I upgraded my mostly stock (lid, catback) LS1 with an LS6 manifold, no tune or anything else. I noticed an immediate difference in top-end power, from about 4500-6000RPM.

    So I'd say it gave about a 10WHP-15WHP increase on the top end, there is no way I would have noticed a difference (or anyone else for that matter) if it was only 4 or 5HP.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    292
    2000 Corvette

    There usually is speculation when it comes to HP gains. Heck my Vararam felt disappointing (didn't feel any SOTP gain) but at the track it was a different story. That should be where the real test is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Intake manifolds?
    By AFWS6 in forum External Engine
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-06-2011, 05:31 PM
  2. For Sale: Ls1 intake, LS1 F-body and LS1 Vette manifolds FS
    By OutToWinPAHC in forum Parts For Sale / Trade
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-08-2010, 08:09 PM
  3. WTT intake manifolds and TB
    By PierreGTO in forum Parts Wanted / Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-11-2007, 09:37 AM
  4. LS6 Intake Manifolds
    By speedkills in forum External Engine
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 03-05-2007, 05:26 PM
  5. Intake manifolds
    By Jason Schneeweiss in forum GM Trucks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-21-2006, 11:40 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •