Thread: how hard is it?

@#$% You I'm from TEXAS Rojerlockless's Avatar

ASC# 285 Born Oct 26 2001
    2002 Collectors EDTA

how hard is it?

To take a 1970 Corvette and put an LS1 everything in it.

I basically want a stingray with all new shit in it

just wondering what kinda money sink i'd be getting myself into lol

Sarge for AAG Emperor hutch1999's Avatar

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Itd be easier just to put a carbed crate motor in it. A lot less money.

2002 Collectors EDTA

Yeah but man, I really don't want a carbed motor if I don't have to I want fuel injection for the obvious easier to maintain of it. If I decided to do this it would be a twice a month drive kinda car on the weekends ect. There's been a few corvettes i'v been looking at restoring lately and I guess I would basically have to completely start from scratch if i did this huh?

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

itd be expensive but worth it if you want the reliability, thats exactly why I went with a newer Fue injected car over an older carbed car.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I dont think it would be very difficult-but then again-nothing good ever comes easy(except a inheratance). You can get a new longblock crate LS1 for around $2900.00
    http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...8-P798C63.aspx

But I would go with a LS6 for $95 more than the LS1
    http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...-P1625C63.aspx

Then I am sure you can find a wrecked Z28 or Trans am(people part them out constantly or just buy one and part out everything you dont need after your done with it) to get exhaust manifolds,water pump,intake,TB,ECU,Wiring harness(a aftermarket wiring harness is also made for LSX swaps), and everything else needed for your project.Or-you could put a FAST 90 intake and TB and LT headers(I would) while your at it. You can either go with a M6 ,4l60E transmission or a T 350 or 400 etc...(but a different bell housing will be needed). I think it would be a really awsome project. I would love to do the same thing you are talking about myself. I hope you do it-if you do make sure to take pics and post your progress. There are alot of guys on this site who can answer your questions better than I can but I just thought I would chime in with a little info. Also-if you did run into any trouble with the swap there are alot of really good people on this site with alot of knowledge that would help you out I am sure.

**Also- You could do it even cheaper if you went with a low milage used LS1 or LS6 but if I was gonna do it I would go with a crate engine -just my opinion.
    Last edited by LETHALxLS1; 12-25-2007 at 12:44 AM.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by hutch1999 View Post
    itd be expensive but worth it if you want the reliability, thats exactly why I went with a newer Fue injected car over an older carbed car.

IMO Carburated cars are more reliable and easy to work on then newer FI cars of today. If you have a issue with a carburated vehicle its most likely not getting fuel or its not getting fire(juice)-if both those are present your running in most cases. A fuel injected vehicle has a complexe computer system,many many sensors,fuel injectors,pressure regulators etc....... Because a carburated vehicle doesnt have all these things there is less that can go wrong. But you will never get close to the gas milage a FI vehicle gets with a carburated vehicle. I stayed away from FI vehicles as long as I could until it wasnt possible to have a newer vehicle that didnt have it.

06 HD Softail
    1998 Trans Am m6

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    IMO Carburated cars are more reliable and easy to work on then newer FI cars of today. If you have a issue with a carburated vehicle its most likely not getting fuel or its not getting fire(juice)-if both those are present your running in most cases. A fuel injected vehicle has a complexe computer system,many many sensors,fuel injectors,pressure regulators etc....... Because a carburated vehicle doesnt have all these things there is less that can go wrong. But you will never get close to the gas milage a FI vehicle gets with a carburated vehicle. I stayed away from FI vehicles as long as I could until it wasnt possible to have a newer vehicle that didnt have it.
    Carbed cars are more finicky in colder weather, thats why I like FI. An 11 year girl with down syndrome could start my car, because all you have to do is turn the key. But your right about carb being easier to *tune* and you are also right about the mileage that FI gets. 18 average of town and city is pretty good.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by LETHALxLS1 View Post
    I dont think it would be very difficult-but then again-nothing good ever comes easy(except a inheratance). You can get a new longblock crate LS1 for around $2900.00
    http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...8-P798C63.aspx

But I would go with a LS6 for $95 more than the LS1
    http://www.crateenginedepot.com/stor...-P1625C63.aspx

Then I am sure you can find a wrecked Z28 or Trans am(people part them out constantly or just buy one and part out everything you dont need after your done with it) to get exhaust manifolds,water pump,intake,TB,ECU,Wiring harness(a aftermarket wiring harness is also made for LSX swaps), and everything else needed for your project.Or-you could put a FAST 90 intake and TB and LT headers(I would) while your at it. You can either go with a M6 ,4l60E transmission or a T 350 or 400 etc...(but a different bell housing will be needed). I think it would be a really awsome project. I would love to do the same thing you are talking about myself. I hope you do it-if you do make sure to take pics and post your progress. There are alot of guys on this site who can answer your questions better than I can but I just thought I would chime in with a little info. Also-if you did run into any trouble with the swap there are alot of really good people on this site with alot of knowledge that would help you out I am sure.

**Also- You could do it even cheaper if you went with a low milage used LS1 or LS6 but if I was gonna do it I would go with a crate engine -just my opinion.
    lol, you make it sound so simple...reading that made me want to peel the skin off of my eyes

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    lol, you make it sound so simple...reading that made me want to peel the skin off of my eyes
    Have you ever pulled a motor and put another one in? I have done several over the years and its not that hard at all. I mean sure-this is a different motor then the car came with but it shouldnt present too many issues. I have seen several LT1 and LS1 swaps into vehicles like 1987 iroc camaros and monte carlo ss's by members on this site.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

O -I almost forgot-they make adapters for the LS1 or LS6 motor mounts.

2002 Collectors EDTA

bleh now ur making me want 2 do it more!

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

You can dooooooooooooooo it! t would be so badass. It would be fast too.

Thread Information