Thread: Help

Black
    1999 corvette

Help

I recently put a set of long tube headers on my car and for some reason I keep getting a code misfire cylinder 3. I have changed the coil,wire and plug , but it has not done any good. Has anyone ever had a similiar problem and could some one help!

Quickslver
    2002 Corvette

I got that code also (P0300 I think) when i added Kooks headers/catted x-pipe and a Vararam cai on my '02 C5. That can be caused by different things. What I did was go back and check everything I touched during install. Double checked plugs, plugwires, coil connectors, o2 wiring, grounds, vacuum lines and connections, and everything I could find. made sure headers were not touching any wiring, and made sure that rear o2 wiring crisscrossed to opposite connection. (left rear o2 sensor wire to right connector, right rear o2 sensor wire to left connector).
    While dong these checks, I found a loose clamp on vacuum hose coming from brake booster, and a loose clamp on air intake bellows. I tightened these up, cleared codes, started car, and all was good. Hope this helps, Mike.

Black
    1999 corvette

Thanks , I will go back thru everything Saturday and make sure we did not miss anything. I have been looking for an electrical problem thinking it was something to do with the coils! After you run the car for about 10 minutes the computer compensates for what ever is wrong and it runs great, but when you turn the car off the same problem occurs again!

Black
    1999 corvette

Ok , I went back through everything today and found a few small problems. My car now is giving me an 0132 code o2 sensor high votage (bank 1) and also an 0172 code sys to lean (bank 2) can anyone help?
    Thanks David

Red
    2017 Z06

Same problem here with an 08. However the car never did idle as well as I thought it should even stock. Took headers off and it idled back to normal. Don't know the cause but the 02s may just be too far back.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by seefive99 View Post
    Ok , I went back through everything today and found a few small problems. My car now is giving me an 0132 code o2 sensor high votage (bank 1) and also an 0172 code sys to lean (bank 2) can anyone help?
    Thanks David
    go to gearchatter.com and look at the diagnostic aids for those codes. I have a wicked head cold right now and not much is coming to mind as far as what may have happened. Check your O2 wires and what not and make sure the headers didn't scorch a wire or something. You could also try swapping those O2's side to side and see if the code follows it to the passenger side. That'll tell you if it's the O2 or not for that side.

Quickslver
    2002 Corvette

David, with the addition of headers, this has relocated your o2 sensors and therefore they are sending a little different info to engine management. Car has the ability to relearn within perimeters, but you may still have to have your fuel trims adjusted. This can be done by going and getting a pro tune, or if you are mechanically inclined, you can buy a handheld tuner, and do it yourself.
    I had the same codes and problems you are experiencing when I added headers and Vararam cai. What I did was after checking all connections, etc., was to buy a use (unlocked) Diablo Predator tuner from a fellow corvetteforum member. Following the DiabloSport websites' guidelines, I adjusted my fueltrims to optimum combination, and added a performance tune to my engine, taking advantage of newly added boltons. This made all the difference, and dialed in cars' performance.
    One other thing regarding the Diablo Predator tuner, and possibly some of the other handheld tuners. With the older (around 2years) tuners, (revision #2.13), you have the ability to "turn off" rear o2 sensors. These are the ones that usally give problems when adding headers. If you still have catts though, you should not have to do this.
    Last, but not least. Our cars have a timeframe that computer needs to relearn any changes made to airflow and other variables. Before doing anything radical, copy and delete current trouble codes and then start engine again and let it run some, even if it is in the driveway. Note any codes, then repeat this cycle a few times. If engine starts to clear up and codes are going away, then computer is using its builtin ability to make adjustments on its own.
    Note that these are steps I took with my own car, and I am not a gm tech or tuning pro. I would recommend a tune though, either by yourself, or a professional. Below I have added link to the 1999 Corvette codes. Mike

http://www.gearchatter.com/viewforum41.php

Thanks David

Black
    1999 corvette

Ok, do I leave the wires and only switch the 02 sensors or do I switch wires and 02? THANKS FOR THE TIP DAVID

98 Formula
    06 duramax

when you did the headers did you use pre-made extensions for the O2's or did you splice in your own? If you spliced in your own that could be some of your issue.
    Should just unplug the O2's from the harness and swap just the O2's over.

Black
    1999 corvette

Ok, no I bought lg motorsport pro long tube headers and they gave me extensions for them. At first we had the rear 02 's hooked up and Saturday we moved them to the front and blocked off the rears, they (lg motorsports) told me to cross the wires (left to right and right to left) so we did this cleared up the code for cylinder 3 misfire but then we got these other codes! Hey thanks for your help and advice! David

pewter
    2000 ss

o2'so2'so2'so2'so2'so2'so2'so2'so2'so2'so2'so2'so2 'so2'so2'so2'so2'so2'so2'so2'so2'so2'so2'so2'so2's o2'so2'so2'so2'so2'so2'so2's

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Ok, no I bought lg motorsport pro long tube headers and they gave me extensions for them. At first we had the rear 02 's hooked up and Saturday we moved them to the front and blocked off the rears, they (lg motorsports) told me to cross the wires (left to right and right to left) so we did this cleared up the code for cylinder 3 misfire but then we got these other codes! Hey thanks for your help and advice! David
    I don't understand this part. I forget where the stock harness drops down on the vette's but you don't have bank 2 hooked up to bank 1's sensor do you?

Quickslver
    2002 Corvette

I'm not quite sure what you are saying, but let me tell you a couple things that may help. First off, the long wires going to the rear o2s are the ones that crisscross connections(left to right/right to left. The front o2 sensor wiring, goes right side to right side/left side to left side. if you took the rear sensors and brought them forward to replace the front sensors, you must now plug them in to the front sensor wiring and plugs.(you may need extensions, adaptors, etc) Be sure that if you are using an extension, that the plug end on it matches FRONT o2 sensor plug, and not the plug for rear sensor connection. You have to realize also, if you plug off original location of rear sensors, you WILL get trouble codes.
    Do you still have cats in exhaust? If so, why not put sensors where they belong, or, get another set of rear sensors to replace ones that you moved forward? If you removed cats, then you will have to either get o2 sensor simulators for the rear, have a tuner disconnect rear o2 sensors from computer, or buy a used Diablo Predator tuner with a revision number of 2.13 (older model) or less, and you can use that to disconnect o2 sensors yourself, and at the same time add a nice tune to compliment your new boltons, as well as dial in your fuel trims.
    Hope this helps, Mike.

Last edited by VeroWing; 04-06-2009 at 05:08 PM.

Black
    1999 corvette

Ok, I talked again today to LG Motorsports and there telling me that I need to have it tuned now for it to be rite! I called RPM in Lewisville and he said it sounds like that I have the 02"s mixed up, he said it still should run rite tuned or not! I am going to take it to RPM and let them go ahead and dyno tune it, he said that he will fix the problem for me and tune it and also he is going to dyno it for me.Thank you guys for your help and I will let you know how this comes out! I had a dyno done on it about 4 weeks ago with only Borla catbacks and a vararam air induction on it (no tune basically stock)and it put 335 to the rear wheels with 345 ft lbs of torque! Curious to see what tuning it and a set of lg pro long tube headers will add. Next is the cam.
    Thanks David
    Last edited by seefive99; 04-07-2009 at 11:22 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I agree with RPM......sounds like the O2's aren't hooked up correctly. He'll get it squared away for you.

Black
    1999 corvette

I got my car back from rpm today and he told me all that was wrong is I had the 02's backwards, its fixed now and they dyno-tuned it! It runs like a new car again, I want to thank you guys for the advice on my car and now rpm told me to start looking for an ls6 intake so if anyone knows any one wanting to get rid of one please give me a shout!
    Thanks Again ;David

98 Formula
    06 duramax

the first thing I would recommend is gathering a list of ls-6 intake part numbers since there's a bunch of different part numbers for them. That way you go in with that knowledge. Then keep your eyes peeled in the for sale sections and ebay. Always ask the part number of the intake they're selling and verify that it's an LS6 part number.

Black
    1999 corvette

I am seeing this, I called RPM today and talked to them and he also said to be very carefull that there are a lot of part #'s and you can get burned!I have found one on ebay and everything looks good but still not real sure about it, I have a link maybe someone could help and tell me if its any good!
    The bidding has ended on it but he has emailed me and said I could have it for 300.00. He said its off a 2004 CTS-V and the part # is 12573572 !
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123
    Thanks Again ;David

Thread Information