pewter
    99 vette

gotta have mods for a 99 C5?

So I'm new to the LS1 family and was wanting to know what the best bang for the buck mods are on these things. By that I mean go fast mods not cosmetic stuff. I just picked up a 99 it is pretty much stock except for z06 wheels and a brake upgrade. Iv'e been messing with mustangs for the past 10 years and I got kinda bored with them so I'm trying to learn these things. Any advice would be great thanks.

Jet Stream Blue
    2009 Lingenfelter ZR1

Welcome! It really depends on how much you want to spend. If your on a budget, I would do a cold air intake and some headers. Have fun!

pewter
    99 vette

I'm assuming long tubes? Which ones fit the best on the vettes? I am not concerned about the money this is a vette not a stang so I'm not doing stuff on a budget. I would like to keep it N/A for now, so suggestions on the headers would be great and also for a CAI, also I was looking at the bbk intake with 80mm t/b is this a worth while upgrade also?

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by MachWon View Post
    I'm assuming long tubes? Which ones fit the best on the vettes? I am not concerned about the money this is a vette not a stang so I'm not doing stuff on a budget. I would like to keep it N/A for now, so suggestions on the headers would be great and also for a CAI, also I was looking at the bbk intake with 80mm t/b is this a worth while upgrade also?
    i recently added the Borla Stingers, and a Haltech Stinger CAI to my 99 Vette. I can tell a little horsepower differance, but the sound is wonderful.
    Next I am doing headers, I think its between the LG or the Kooks longtubes. I seem to hear great things about both setups. Just make sure you do the complete systems, headers, and mid section x pipe. Go with NO cats for that deep rumbly sound and more horses. Then end it with some Borla Stingers, you will love it. A full exhaust system will get you 25-30 horsepower by itself. Maybe more with a tune.

Millienum Yellow
    2003 Corvette Z06

slide over to the corvette forums sooooo much info there! Me I would go with a CAI full exhaust and a tune then slide into a h/c or fi build ...lol
    Shawn
    Daily: 2003 MY Z06 D1SC | Toy: 2006 Hayabusa Garrett T-3 | Hauler: 2007 Nissan Titan LE CC
    I like being Blown!!

torch red
    1998 Corvette

If you dont care about money, get slp LT's and a catback exhaust. Get a FAST 92 intake manifold and TB. Then chip it. With the programmer. thats about 3gs right there. but its the best you can buy, and while the intake is off you can pull the heads. Either get them done or get some. If thats too much, ls6 intake (you wont feel the difference) port your own TB, loop the coolant line to the TB.

pewter
    99 vette

I forgot to mention the car has a bbe catback on it. It's not a very common brand and until I bought this car I had never heard of the company. It sounds pretty good though. Vettes have a different sound than I'm used to but its nice. I don't want to remove the cats on this car, are the factory cats garbage or should I go with a mid pipe that has "high flow" cats on it?

Millienum Yellow
    2003 Corvette Z06

B&B Cat back?

pewter
    99 vette

correction, BB

Jet Stream Blue
    2009 Lingenfelter ZR1

I have B&B bullets and love em. What B&B catback do you have?

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

I forgot to mention the car has a bbe catback on it. It's not a very common brand and until I bought this car I had never heard of the company. It sounds pretty good though. Vettes have a different sound than I'm used to but its nice. I don't want to remove the cats on this car, are the factory cats garbage or should I go with a mid pipe that has "high flow" cats on it?
    Both the LG and Kooks brand headers have a catted mid pipe option when buying. I just prefer no cats. Sounds better and runs stronger. Around my town, you still pass inspection most of the time.

pewter
    99 vette

Quote Originally Posted by BlownC5 View Post
    I have B&B bullets and love em. What B&B catback do you have?
    I think they are the bullets but I'm not sure, they have really small resonators. The guy that I bought the car from had bought the exhaust and never installed it. It sounds pretty good.

pewter
    99 vette

Quote Originally Posted by preston1980 View Post
    Both the LG and Kooks brand headers have a catted mid pipe option when buying. I just prefer no cats. Sounds better and runs stronger. Around my town, you still pass inspection most of the time.
    So between kooks and LG which one would you go with personally? I'm mostly concerned with the fit. Iv'e had problems in the past with headers on mustangs not fitting very well and I had to go midevil on a couple of them with a hammer to get them to fit.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

No personal experience but those are both high end brand headers, have you thought about a used ls-6 manifold? You can pick one up on tech for around $300 w/ the exchange rate possibly less.
    Last edited by c5z28; 06-21-2009 at 12:10 AM.

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

So between kooks and LG which one would you go with personally? I'm mostly concerned with the fit. Iv'e had problems in the past with headers on mustangs not fitting very well and I had to go midevil on a couple of them with a hammer to get them to fit.
    I have heard/read that the LGs are easier to install, but the Kooks have better better connectors. I hear the kooks have better low and mid range power, and the LGs have better high end power.

6 of 1 half dozen of the other. You will find die hard LG fans and die hard Kooks fans. I will choose the cheaper of the 2 when im ready to buy mine.

Mag Red
    1999 Covette

I use Jet Hot headers and car is one of the fastest bolt on C5 automatic coupes in the country. So they can not be all bad and are cheaper.
    Last edited by Qwk Vet; 07-01-2009 at 07:58 PM.
    http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/starstrucked7/drag10b-75-1.jpg

Fastest A4 Coupe Bolt On's
    11.55 @ 118.12 mph

99 Vette Mag Red * 99 Vette Nassau Blue
    93 Vette 40th formerly owned by Billy Ray Cyrus 10K miles 4 sale
    99 Trans Am WS6 6 speed * 01 CTS Caddy
    00 Custom Chopper 113ci

pewter
    99 vette

good supercharger kit for ls1 c5s?

I'm going to Iraq for 4 more months at the end of this month so I will have a good amount of coin saved up when I get back. Thinking of getting a supercharger for the car when I get back. I want something thats good for daily driving and good reliablity probably a twin screw style one. But it will have to be a complete kit that I can install in my garage. Is there a kit that comes with a tuner so I can reflash the pcm. Finding a place to get a vette tuned over here will be very difficult, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

pewter
    99 vette

Quote Originally Posted by Qwk Vet View Post
    I use Jet Hot headers and car is one of the fastest bolt on C5 automatic coupes in the country. So they can not be all bad and are cheaper.
    BTW very nice vette, what part of KY are you from? I was stationed at Fort Knox KY for a couple of years before I came here to Germany. I had Ohio Valley Dragway 10 miles from my house which I miss. Although it was far from one of the nicest tracks I have seen and it was only an 8th mile track it was still a lot of fun to go to the test and tune nights there. I miss ripping my mach down the track there. I was lucky enough to have a track so close that I could really dial my car in well at. I also had the opportunity to tour the Corvette mueseum in Bowling Green which was really cool. I made a couple of trips to Beach Bend Raceway as well, I thought that track was pretty nice. Thanks for the tip on the headers, I will probably hold off til the end of this deployment before I start ordereing stuff for the car.

Mag Red
    1999 Covette

BTW very nice vette, what part of KY are you from? I was stationed at Fort Knox KY for a couple of years before I came here to Germany. I had Ohio Valley Dragway 10 miles from my house which I miss. Although it was far from one of the nicest tracks I have seen and it was only an 8th mile track it was still a lot of fun to go to the test and tune nights there. I miss ripping my mach down the track there. I was lucky enough to have a track so close that I could really dial my car in well at. I also had the opportunity to tour the Corvette mueseum in Bowling Green which was really cool. I made a couple of trips to Beach Bend Raceway as well, I thought that track was pretty nice. Thanks for the tip on the headers, I will probably hold off til the end of this deployment before I start ordereing stuff for the car.
    I am in Louisville and also race at OVR and sometimes at BG.

Millennium Yellow
    '02 Corvette

Depends on what your budget is. I would start with a CAI, either a Blackwing or a Vararam, then do a full exhaust system with LG Pro longtubes and x-pipe and your choice of muffler depending on how loud you want it, I went with the Corsa Pace Cars. The muffler is not really going to add any hp but the LT's will. Depending on what your emissions are, I would delete the cats but thats not really going to gain or lose any hp there either. After that I would go with a FAST 92 intake and throttle body then a head/cam package . I dont know if yours is an auto or not but if it is then I would put on a torque converter and change the gears after the exhaust system. And of course getting a good tune is going to be a big part of it also.

Quote Originally Posted by ls1forlife View Post
    If you dont care about money, get slp LT's and a catback exhaust. Get a FAST 92 intake manifold and TB. Then chip it. With the programmer. thats about 3gs right there. but its the best you can buy, and while the intake is off you can pull the heads. Either get them done or get some. If thats too much, ls6 intake (you wont feel the difference) port your own TB, loop the coolant line to the TB.
    You cant chip a LS engine.

Thread Information