Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

got any tips for driving an m6 vette?

i am in the GM ASEP mechanics program and the mechanic i am aprenticing with at the dealership is the master corvette mechanic in the area. awesome for an 18 yr old motorhead right?

heres my problem. i am not very good at driving a stick yet and i have noticed the corvettes are a little more touchy with working the clutch. i do drive them a lot and i would like to be able to look like i know what im doing in front of the service bay. can anyone give me some tips on how to drive them more smoothly? i am still trying to talk my service manager into letting me practice with one of the vettes on the lot.

thanks everyone.

White
    98 Corvette Coupe

Actually, Corvettes are some of the easiest manual transmission cars to drive. They have a docile side that makes them easy to manage in all kinds of traffic situations and there is that beast waiting to be unleashed once traffic clears.

I have had two Corvettes, both manuals. One was an 04 Z06 and the other a 98 Coupe. The clutches in both cars are similar in operation. I find that you can actually let the clutch out without any throttle application if you are on a relatively flat surface. What I recommend you do is to start the car and then without touching the throttle, slowly let the clutch out to find out where it engages on that particular car. Once you know that you just apply the throttle lightly once the clutch begins to engage, let it out completely and you are on your way smoothly.

The embarrasing moments with manual trannies usually come when you are over applying the throttle and letting the clutch out too quickly, hence the jerking and clunking that usually follows. It really isn't that difficult. Just get in the car, take a deep breath and be as smooth as possible. The only thing you want to try and avoid is riding the clutch while starting off. Many rookies wind up doing this to try and avoid a kidney jarring start. Again, smooth and steady is the rule of thumb. This works with each gear...smooth and steady release and not too much throttle. Once the clutch is fully engaged you can apply the throttle as needed and pull away smoothly. You will find that the lower gears will be a bit more challanging then the taller gears, but you will get used to this in time. Get these basics down and there won't be a manual tranny that will intimidate you any where in any car.

If you have the opportunity, take one out somewhere where you have some room and just do several starts and stops and get yourself used to how it all happens. Again, just be light with the throttle...it doesn't take that much throttle to get most cars going. You might even ask the Corvette guy to give you some tips. He will most likely think more of you if you ask for help rather than try to fool him, which you probably won't be able to do any way if he is experienced. Asking for help is a sign of intelligence, not stupidity! Good luck!

Scott

blue,blue
    00 z-28 m6, 06 H3

Asking for help is a sign of intelligence, not stupidity! Good luck!
    nice way to put it! the guy should have no problems helping you thats y your there! your to lucky i wish i had that kind of opportunity when i was your age.
    LS7 clutch,01 slave,Corsa 3" stainless exhuast,drilled/slotted rotors + ceramic pads,160 thermo,Mti clear lid,msd 8.5 wires & Ngk plugs...more to come!
    www.cardomain.com/ride/2311455

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

yea i have asked him tons of questions. he is really easy to talk to. he's 65 and has been in the business since the early 70's and has been the corvette man ever since.
    i asked him about tips and he said the same thing, just slowly let it out and dont apply throttle until ur rolling if ur in the parking lot. i think i will be able to get it.
    it sucks tho, i havent had the opportunity to drive a stick before because of 2 reasons, 1-my friends and family never bought em, and 2- i'm 6'5'' and 280 lbs-(C4 vettes are out of the question for driving).

thanks guys

Thread Information