Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Friend has $10k to spend...

My friend is getting deployed for a few months and when he gets back he wants to dump his overseas bonus into his '98 Vert Vette. He's set on a new clutch/flywheel, but he is, shall we say "uneducated" when it comes to what he wants. He keeps bringing up the idea of a supercharger (Procharger), but I don't think he realizes what else that entails (suspension for example). Also, I'm not really up to speed on how the suspension and drivetrain is setup on the vettes, so I don't know what to suggest for him (usually people just say 9" when it comes to f-bodies).

Any suggestions on where we should start?

PS: We (read: I) will be doing the work, so labor costs are not an issue...aren't I a nice friend?

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Edit:

This is his daily driver, so nothing too extreme, please.

Millennium Yellow
    '02 Corvette

He doesnt need to do anything to the suspension if he wants a supercharger. I would change out the clutch and flywheel though. Personally I would do a full exhaust before the supercharger though. After all of that he might be over his $10k budget unless he buys a used supercharger. Procharger is the way to go though. The rear end will be fine with the 3.42's that he has. As long as he is not popping the clutch then the drive shaft will be fine.
    Last edited by NemesisZ06; 05-02-2009 at 07:39 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 SS M6

I'd have to disagree. I think a Magnacharger is the way to go. I'd get that, a cam, springs, and a complete exhaust. Should be able to keep that under 10k.

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

procharger mid to upper range power band, and magnacharger is lower power band. If he goes s/c try and pick up some ported 317's keep that motor alive especially if he's going to be packing on the miles.
    Any s/c is great but a procharger in my book since he won't hook anyway, and depending on how big he goes d1sc he will have more power potential.

H/C whatever if you can find a used s/c make the man happy. If you go over budget just tell him to go back overseas.

RED
    2002 FORMULA

Will I come under fire if I said enjoy the Vette and stick the money in the stock market or buy a house. No use tearing up a good Vette when he could be reaping benefits of a low market. But I remember the dorm rats and priorities are diffrent when your young.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

i'd save the money if i was him

black
    1998 trans am

I say procharger, tune then trans brace and shaft. The last two will save him alot in the long run.

Mark

KYSpeed.com | FREE SHIPPING & HANDLING | PRICE MATCH | EMAIL

Kook's | American Racing Headers | Vararam | HallTech | Textralia | SPEC | McLeod | Raptor | Trick Flow | AFR | ECS
    | FAST | APS | TTi | Procharger | RPM Transmission | Comp | DMH | HP Tuners | PFADT | SLP | STS

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Here's a long story made VERY short. I bought a 2001 SS Camaro for a daily driver. 3 months later it lost a piston (broke a rod) blowing the motor, I bought a crate engine LS6 to replace the stock LS1. I decided to mod it before I put it in the car, one thing lead to another and it was over 500HP before it ever went into the car. I chose a cam that was too large for a DD. 112 L.S.A. Nice bumpdee bump idle but the power came in too high on the rev range and the car became of a pain in the ass to drive and be stuck in traffic with.
    The clutch was of course an aftermarket and with a stiff petal. I spent thousands on all the aftermarket parts..headers..intake..all the supporting hardware..plus the full tune, BUT..the car just got to be so much of a CHORE that I relegated it to weekend only driving, then it got to the point where I HAD to convince myself that I wanted to drive it then. What started as a great sounding car, turned into a loud (it was a Loudmouth system) and obnxious car to me.
    I finally fell out of love with the very Monster (hence the original owner of the plate Mr. Hyde) I created and sold it, replacing it with my new Z06.
    The moral of the story for me was...sometimes it better to not go overboard. I have replaced the stock exhaust with a Borla, and the stock intake with a K&N and that'll probably be about it for this one.

Victory Red
    2005 Corvette Coupe

mmm procharger ^_^

Black
    1998 Corvette

Oh wow, I have a whole post about me without having even been a member!

@NemesisZ06: So the plan was to do the clutch and flywheel in addition to the headers and exhaust. The supercharger was something I had been thinking about in addition to the rest. Going a little over budget would be okay, 10k was just a base figure to start with.

@rideon1200: I've already gone ahead and alloted some of my earnings towards investments, the 10k was what I had sitting around after that and paying off some bills.

I realize that fuel economy is going to take a hit regardless, but which between the procharger and supercharger is more forgiving when cruising in 6th?

PS: ls1camino is an AWESOME friend

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

put a 408 in it and call it good. then he's got more to build on later.

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by frankx0r View Post

@NemesisZ06: So the plan was to do the clutch and flywheel in addition to the headers and exhaust. The supercharger was something I had been thinking about in addition to the rest. Going a little over budget would be okay, 10k was just a base figure to start with.

@rideon1200: I've already gone ahead and alloted some of my earnings towards investments, the 10k was what I had sitting around after that and paying off some bills.

I realize that fuel economy is going to take a hit regardless, but which between the procharger and supercharger is more forgiving when cruising in 6th?

Hey Frank,

Nice to see you FINALLY registered on the site

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

Really, on the fuel economy and having the 6speed, your not going to take as big of a hit as your thinking. Not unless your foot just never leaves the floor. Hwy milage should still be above 20mpg i would think.

Millennium Yellow
    '02 Corvette

I agree with LS1Jason, your not going to lose very much on your mpg's. As for which supercharger to get, I suggest the procharger. You will get more out of it than with a magnacharger. Magnachargers you usually only gain about a 100hp and tq. You will have more low end torque with it though. The procharger you will usually gain half of what you are already making. IE if your making 400hp at the flywheel, then with the procharger you would be making about 600hp at the flywheel.

Black
    1998 Corvette

Awesome, I guess the ProCharger is the way to go then! With the kind of power increase I'll be seeing from the headers/exhaust/sc, should I be thinking about any upgrades to the suspension or engine block? If at all possible I'd prefer to leave the engine in the car... (as would ls1camino I would wager <3 ).

Millennium Yellow
    '02 Corvette

Awesome, I guess the ProCharger is the way to go then! With the kind of power increase I'll be seeing from the headers/exhaust/sc, should I be thinking about any upgrades to the suspension or engine block? If at all possible I'd prefer to leave the engine in the car... (as would ls1camino I would wager <3 ).
    I would upgrade the suspension if you are going to autocross or track the car but otherwise you really dont need to unless you just want to. As for the block, the LS1 block can hold up to around 570rwhp, maybe a little more but that would be pushing it. If you go more than that then you would need a forged engine, which shouldnt happen with the mods you are wanting. If you have that much power Id be more worried about breaking the drive shaft though. LG has a carbon fiber drive shaft thats been tested for over 800hp but its not cheap either. lol

Black
    1998 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisZ06 View Post
    I would upgrade the suspension if you are going to autocross or track the car but otherwise you really dont need to unless you just want to. As for the block, the LS1 block can hold up to around 570rwhp, maybe a little more but that would be pushing it. If you go more than that then you would need a forged engine, which shouldnt happen with the mods you are wanting. If you have that much power Id be more worried about breaking the drive shaft though. LG has a carbon fiber drive shaft thats been tested for over 800hp but its not cheap either. lol
    Haha, just what I wanted to hear! Thanks Nemesis!

White
    09 G8 GT

So the stock vette rear and trans will hold up to having a supercharged motor?

On your ass flashing
    my highbeams

Quote Originally Posted by ls1fan74 View Post
    So the stock vette rear and trans will hold up to having a supercharged motor?
    The only problems generally are the seals, which is common and is replaced by gm with thicker seals if under warranty. Are you going p1sc or d1sc?

Thread Information