99 Z28 04 Corvette

Flickering headlights

So lately my headlights have started to flicker, I'm guessing its the alternator, battery is new and connections seem tight. The battery gauge jumps around from pretty low to around 14, There's no aftermarket stereo or anything on this car so not sure what else could cause this. After doing a search it seemed real common on trans ams.. They talked about replacing the alternator with one off a truck, would that be possible on a corvette also? or should I go with a stock replacement? Oh and it has the HID headlights if that matters.

99 Z28 04 Corvette

I was just messing with it some more, when I turn the key on accesory without starting the car the headlights flicker like strobe lights, but when I start the car and let it idle in the garage they work just fine. I'm thinking once the fan turns on after driving a bit is when the headlights start to flicker because the alternator doesnt produces enough amps?

COTM July '09

BLK/BLK w/CGM Stripes
    2010 Camaro 2SS/M6

it'll be hard to tell with the HID's installed man, it could even be the ballasts. Try swapping in some stock bulbs and see if it still does it.

99 Z28 04 Corvette

Im pretty sure these HIDs are the whole headlight assembly, not just bulbs, so would I be able to swap in stock bulbs to try that?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

IMHO prolly the Alt takin' a vacation soon...
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

99 Z28 04 Corvette

Yea I was just thinking the headlight bulbs going out shouldn't affect the battery gauge, gotta be the alternator.

99 Z28 04 Corvette

Should I got with OEM replacement or is there something better I can upgrade to?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 1986camarojoe View Post
    Should I got with OEM replacement or is there something better I can upgrade to?
    Imho, stay stock. But just be carefull of rebuilds. Some companies use crap parts and people building them whom don't know anything about exaclty how an Alt works.
    I was still able to buy a stock "new" not rebuilt Alt for my 92 z34. So I'd imagine a brand new Alt for your ride is attainable too. I just don't trust rebuilds unless I rebuilt it lol.. Shop around, I found that over the years the better the warranty in most cases the better the build quality..

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

I agree on buying OEM although yours did not last as long as its should IMHO...

I use a local repair shop when I need to get a new one. Nothing beats taking your parts to a guy who will rebuild it on the bench in front of you!

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

99 Z28 04 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by gnomee View Post
    I agree on buying OEM although yours did not last as long as its should IMHO...

I use a local repair shop when I need to get a new one. Nothing beats taking your parts to a guy who will rebuild it on the bench in front of you!
    My dad mentioned that to me and said he thinks he knows a place that rebuilds them. probably check into it

'98,'00-B 93,03,11,14-V

Check your grounds on the lights and chassis ground. I notice that when my battery gets old it does the same thing on my Bird.
    You rev up the motor and it gets brighter. After the battery gets a good deep charge that goes away. Also, when my battery is low or old the radio starts to act up.

When this starts happening I check the grounds, clean terminals and buy a new battery if it's been three years.
    The last time I upgraded to a higher CCA battery than stock. That seems to help as well.

Good luck ...
    Last edited by Mecinoid; 12-12-2009 at 01:52 AM.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Mecinoid View Post
    Check your grounds on the lights and chassis ground. I notice that when my battery gets old it does the same thing on my Bird.
    You rev up the motor and it gets brighter. After the battery gets a good deep charge that goes away. Also, when my battery is low or old the radio starts to act up.

When this starts happening I check the grounds, clean terminals and buy a new battery if it's been three years.
    The last time I upgraded to a higher CCA battery than stock. That seems to help as well.

Good luck ...
    Good advise imho. To add, I'd stay away from generic batteries too. I've had generics die just sitting on my work bench with nothing hooked to them. Imho get a good well known brand, they tend to be worth the extra money they cost. It will pay for it self the first time you go out to fire up on a new generic batt and nothing happens..

Thread Information