White
    1999 Camaro SS

Do we need run flats?

I have a 2000 Corvette Convertible and I need tires. Do most of you use run flats? They are really high priced. If not which are not too expensive and will last awhile. I can only afford fronts now. My back are about shot too.
    I never sold my 99SS so I decided to keep it.

You would have to use runflats unless you want to carry a spare tire around in the car somewhere.....

Pewter
    1998 Corvette

I got rid of the run-flats 4 years ago and went with the Goodyear GS-D3's. The tires are amazing but i carry a plug kit and a 12 volt inflator just in case.

White
    1999 Camaro SS

Plug kit?

Thanks for the information! Where do you get the plug kits? I really don't care to keep buying the run flats. Can hardly afford 2 front tires (not run flat)....

Any local parts store would carry a plug kit with the tools needed. They should also sell small style air compressors that run off the cig lighter.

I keep it all in a small plastic tub, about 10 inches by 6 inches. Very easy to store, and even small enough for a vette to carry around without getting in the way.

Ryan has the right idea. You don't want to leave yourself volnerable.
    On any road trip, I take it with me even if I have a spare tire. If it keeps me from changing a tire on the side of the road it's paid for itself already. Know what I mean??? I can plug a tire in 30 seconds and be back on my way. It'll save you from anything short of a total blowout or a tire coming apart.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 03-29-2010 at 01:34 PM.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28 (sold)

Do Vette's come with a full size spare? Even though the fronts are always smaller than the rears?

Quote Originally Posted by 00LS12LS6Z28 View Post
    Do Vette's come with a full size spare? Even though the fronts are always smaller than the rears?
    As far as I'm aware, newer vettes don't come with any spare, hence the reason they use runflat tires.

black
    02 vette vert

be careful running a plugged steel belted radial. they can chew through a plug especially if whatever made the hole tore any of the belts going in or comming out. best bet is to have the tire dismounted and patched from the inside as soon as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    be careful running a plugged steel belted radial. they can chew through a plug especially if whatever made the hole tore any of the belts going in or comming out. best bet is to have the tire dismounted and patched from the inside as soon as possible.
    Ha, ya I've heard that before. Been plugging tires for 30 years though and never had an issue. I think that was a bunch of hype started by the tire companies so people would start paying to bring tires in for a dismount, patch fee and a rebalance personally.
    Hell I even have my own tire changer and wheel balancer and I still won't patch a tire
    If it ever did chew through a plug, I'd just plug it again

Red
    1991 Camaro with LS1/M6

Run Flats

You will have a much more comfortable ride without run-flats. When I switched from run flats to regular tires the difference was amazing.

No spares in a corvette since at least 1997. I don't even remember the last time I had a flat tire but without a plug/inflator or something to get you out of a bind if you do have a flat, you should consider getting road side assistance in your auto insurance. It costs like $20 a year.

David in AZ

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Ha, ya I've heard that before. Been plugging tires for 30 years though and never had an issue. I think that was a bunch of hype started by the tire companies so people would start paying to bring tires in for a dismount, patch fee and a rebalance personally.
    Hell I even have my own tire changer and wheel balancer and I still won't patch a tire
    If it ever did chew through a plug, I'd just plug it again
    seriously, you've run plugged steel belts more than a couple miles with no trouble? sure sounds like a reasonable concern though. i always thought that warning came from experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    seriously, you've run plugged steel belts more than a couple miles with no trouble? sure sounds like a reasonable concern though. i always thought that warning came from experiences.
    Yeppers, I've run plugs in steel belted tires until the treads were worn off and it was time for new tires

Maybe others weren't doing it right?? There is a file type tool that you are supposed to stick into the hole, and run it in and out a few times to ream it. Maybe that is filing down the sharp edges of the steel belts??
    I don't know, but I've never had steel belts cut through a plug before. Shucks they are difficult to snip off the access with a pair of cutters

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Yeppers, I've run plugs in steel belted tires until the treads were worn off and it was time for new tires

Maybe others weren't doing it right?? There is a file type tool that you are supposed to stick into the hole, and run it in and out a few times to ream it. Maybe that is filing down the sharp edges of the steel belts??
    I don't know, but I've never had steel belts cut through a plug before. Shucks they are difficult to snip off the access with a pair of cutters
    true, no guarantee everybody does it right. this is good to know.

Thread Information