Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

corvette or gto?

This is a discussion on corvette or gto? within the Corvette forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I say get the vette.Its faster,it will hold its value longer,and chics love it. But I hope the insurance won't ...

Junior Member Lethal Tendencies's Avatar

millenium yellow
    2000 corvette

I say get the vette.Its faster,it will hold its value longer,and chics love it. But I hope the insurance won't kill you on it.

White/Silver
    1989 GTA 98 GTP coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal Tendencies View Post
    I say get the vette.Its faster,it will hold its value longer,and chics love it. But I hope the insurance won't kill you on it.
    It won't, hell my rate dropped going from a '00 Z28 to the vette.
    -98 GTP Coupe. Silvermist and stock.

-89 GTA*** L98, P1-SC, 24# SVO's, MSD 6-A, March underdrive pulleys, Edelbrock headers/catback and some other goodies.

~Tony

Pewter
    02 Z28

Corvette hands down
    2002 Z28 Auto (3.23 gears)
    Mods
    Lid, UD pulley, Shift Kit, 160 Thermo, Y-pipe, Panhard, TB bypass, Bellow, K&N, Strut Brace, Flowmaster, weight reduction.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by jrc1122 View Post
    I have nothing against your age. Every single person above that age, had to be 17 at one time. Heck being 17 years old was some of the most fun times of my life.

I just don't think 17 years old mixes well with high performance, rear wheel drive, torque monsters like these cars.

But if you have the discipline to not let your raging pubescent adrenaline get you into trouble on the road then that is great.

I suppose you were on the phone again when you typed the message above right? lol
    I'd have to disagree about that, when I was 17 I had a 64 nova (355 sbc, th-400, ford 9" 4.11 gears) that would run low 13's high 12's at Bandimere speedway in Denver 5,300 ft altitude (thats high 11's mid 12's sea level) and I never got a ticket or was envolved in street racing. I think if your mature enough to race it at the track, you should be able to have the car you want.
    No, my parents didn't put a dime into my car or insurance I had a job from the time I was 8 years old and paid for everything myself. It was a father/son project.
    2000 SS Camaro Heads, Large cam, Fast 90, 9"w/430's and locker, yada yada yada... you get the picture

1971 SS ElCamino 402 Big Block 550HP

2006 Silverado 2500HD 496 cubic inches of pure muscle

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

I am only 19 yrs old and pay for my GTO and have my own place, well I actually just sold it but...Either way I would compare an 05-06 GTO to a C5, not an 04 GTO, even though they are both LS1's, they don't even compare. I know I have beaten two C5's but they are really close races and the C5 probably would have won if there was a better driver behind the wheel. If you can afford the C5 and insurance and upkeep, get the vette, just plan on living with mommy for awhile because it's expensive :P. GTO=Sleeper (Less likely to get caught by cops!)

RED
    02 SS, 03 BMW 745

Date of Birth:
    October 28, 1989
    Color of Car:
    silver
    Year & Model Car:
    2004 gto
    Biography:
    I love cars gtos and corvettes
    Interests:
    street racing

medical

I think I was right with my educated assumption about your age/ car combo.
    Hey look you 17 and you have a 04 GTO. You should be hella happy with that. I would keep the GTO just becasue you already have one at the age of 17 and I don't know what kind of background you come from and what means you have but just imagine what you insurance rates would be if you had a corvette. I'm 19 with a SS and I pay fucking $361.00 a month for full coverage. But If money isn't an issue I say go with what your heart wants. I personally would just keep the GTO becasue they are bad ASS cars and one day will be worth some payper if they don't come back with them again. The GTO has so much potential and you can build it to whip on vettes all day. Just my two cents.

White/Silver
    1989 GTA 98 GTP coupe

Why does everyone think it's so much to insure a 'vette. People need to stop talking out of their asses.

My insurance DROPPED going from my Z28 to the vette. Ask a lot of other fbody/GTO to vette converts and they'll tell you the same thing.
    Last edited by Frosty; 09-06-2007 at 06:57 PM.

wheelin' and dealin' BlueBomber's Avatar

NBM
    01 SS M6

At first I thought your age was a typo-o. But after "trying" to read your cheesy Internet slang, I realized that you must in fact be 17.

So...I will continue with my thoughts:

You are 17 years old right? So why in the Hell do you have a GTO? You may defy the odds, but more times than not, a Corvettes/ GTOs, and a 17 year old is not a good mix.

Example -- Nick Hogan (Hulk Hogan's son) wrecked his Highly modified Supra not too long ago. Why. Because he is young and dumb. There is no substitute for experience. I am not saying you are a bad driver, You may in fact be a great driver. I am just saying in general a 17 year old will usually get in trouble with machines like that.

So be safe and have fun. I would have loved to have either car when i was 17. But looking back, I am glad I didn't have a cars like these.
    Yeah I get that a lot too

To the original poster, it depends. I'd say if your lookin for somethin a little more comfortable but still wanna rip it up now and then I'd go with the goat, but for pure performance I'd take the vette man.

Silver
    2004 SVT Cobra

My insurance on my Z28 is cheaper than it was on my S4. I pay 150 a month for full coverage. I even bothered to ask what an 03 cobra was, and it was the same as the camaro.

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by Jays00ss View Post
    I'd have to disagree about that, when I was 17 I had a 64 nova (355 sbc, th-400, ford 9" 4.11 gears) that would run low 13's high 12's at Bandimere speedway in Denver 5,300 ft altitude (thats high 11's mid 12's sea level) and I never got a ticket or was envolved in street racing. I think if your mature enough to race it at the track, you should be able to have the car you want.
    No, my parents didn't put a dime into my car or insurance I had a job from the time I was 8 years old and paid for everything myself. It was a father/son project.
    Unfortunately you are the exception, and not the rule. I agree it is a case by case basis. However there is a reason that the mix of sports cars and 17 year olds have HUGE insurance premiums. It is because teenagers statistically get in more accidents and get more tickets than do elders.

Just like most everything else that is a skill, your driving gets better with time. A 17 year old has MUCH less experience than a mid 20s+ person. Of course once you are "over the hill" your driving skills may deteriorate due to slower reaction times and poor eye sight.

I am not trying to spoil the anyone's fun here. I was just putting my thoughts on age and type of car.

Bottom line - the guy already has a GTO, he is obviously driving one of these cars already, I am not here to convince him to not drive either car. I was just putting my ideas out in the open.

I apologize for coming off rude, or insensitive.

White
    2001 Corvette

I can tell you what I did but I am 35. I had a tight, clean 96 WS6 T/A w/ a few bolt ons, wanted more power and a newer car, so I drove a few clean C5's, a 06 GTO (brand new), and a new Mustang GT, and another T/A, only it was an 02 WS6.
    I now own a mint 01 C5 with a few bolt ons and headers/cat back Borla. The Vett was my pick because it does all things well and the ride is nice. I do not street race unless some one needs to be schooled in a rice burner so the things I did to the vett were for my tastes and I like the sound of the Borla. My runner up would be the 06 GTO becuase it is a real Muscle Car, full sized and parctical. The LS2 400hp is nice also. I was not inpressed with the 4.6 in the Ford at all, while a nice Mustang, it just was not for me as I dig GM Muscle period! On the T/A, I miss the looks but the Vett or GTO is a better built car and they ride much better IMO.

So if I was 17 and had a 04 Goat, I would A- keep it and add power as needed since you got an Ls1 already or B-I would trade up to the 06 GTO with the LS2. The Vett is not really an "every day" car. Mine is a second car but gets driven once a week or more. The Goat is the best all around for my needs of speed/and use IMO.

If you go with the Vett, check your insurance before you buy.

Good luck, but I would keep the Goat or get an LS2 Goat.

00 pace car
    chevy corvette

Quote Originally Posted by slpgto2004 View Post
    im debating to get rid of my gto for a c5 corvette just becuz i like speed and the 1/4 times i look at too. and the corvette is like 400-600 pounds lighter but yet the gto is so nice in my opinion. but idk know what to choose from a gto or a corvette? does ne one think i should just keep the gto and make it faster or what plz let me know just wanna here what other ppl have to say about it.

thanks
    I wouldn't think twice about it ,get a vette hands Down ,It is gms Flagship car,Its Lighter & that Tsp 408 will Fit Right in itwith a procharger or a paxton novi2k & U will need a pilots licsense to drive it
    Last edited by blewbyu; 09-09-2007 at 09:11 PM.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

go with the goat. there have been many times that I've wished I had a truck or something larger that can carry more crap. I love my SS to death tho, she's my girlfriend. haha, but ya, you're young and a vette may sound awesome (which it does), but in a few years you might wish you had a bigger car that can fit more than one person.

00 pace car
    chevy corvette

Quote Originally Posted by bluefields88 View Post
    go with the goat. there have been many times that I've wished I had a truck or something larger that can carry more crap. I love my SS to death tho, she's my girlfriend. haha, but ya, you're young and a vette may sound awesome (which it does), but in a few years you might wish you had a bigger car that can fit more than one person.
    well he//,if i didnt have another vehicle, btw i do a z71, i may not buy the vette , the vette is a single mans car Or a retired couple's car , or a married with no Kids car, but ,if i had @ least 1 more vehicle in the garage, i opted for the vette ,Its really a great idea to have another dd ,besides the vehicle u are planning to mod May break & u have to go to work the next day .Use to when i had a 93 slowstang ,seems like everytime i put a mod on it & took it to the track it would become less reliable, thats ford for ya ,Ask yourself do i have kids ? Do i have a wife who gets jealous ,cuz it will put her to the Test .I have had them stop to show oo, lol u may not get that in a goat .Do whats best , pray about it ,Sleep on it & then Decide

Light Metallic Pewter
    2000 Corvette Coupe

The C5 is about performance YES, but the big plus is in handling.......Even from an f body, Vette handling is superb!

red, silver
    97 and 01 vettes

agreed, short and sweet answer.

Electron Blue
    2002 EB Z06

This was just a quick glance over your response. I am sure there are more "mistakes".

I already tried explaining to you, how age, along with other variables, play a large roll which car I would pick.

Sorry if I offended you, but honestly, your ridiculous ghetto fabulous typing style offends me. I think America's youth, is going down hill, and they are doing it faster than ever.

In a world or text messages, ebonics, and ghetto slang, our "kids" are putting America behind the power curve in the world's eyes.

Again, I know I am not perfect with punctuation and spelling, and I am sure you can easily correct my post. My point is; When you portray yourself as a moron, you will often be classified as one.

So when I see a 17 year old, self portraying himself as a moron, I personally don't want to see you behind the wheel of either car. This is for the safety of you, and all others on the road.

So are we okay, or are we now "Internet Enemies"? LOL..

PS-- assuming you are Single, and if you have to drive one of these cars, I would say Vette.
    dude i'm not about getting at people "online" but you're a jerk, leave the dude alone and go TRY and live your own life. we wants opinion of cars not another daddy. and "internet enimies" you're a moron man. and if you need me to throw some 5 dollar words in the next post so you can feel important than you might know what they mean let me know. i'm so impressed you can pick an internet fight with a 17 year old and dog on his grammar, that must make you sleep great at night. oh and nice use of the semi-colon Mr. English. and talk about offensive, it's offensive to everyone on this site to read your stupid ass post to a young man you don't even know. now you could say the same thing to me coming at you, but you opened that can.
    Last edited by nomorefords; 09-14-2007 at 11:39 AM.

Electron Blue
    2002 EB Z06

Quote Originally Posted by slpgto2004 View Post
    im debating to get rid of my gto for a c5 corvette just becuz i like speed and the 1/4 times i look at too. and the corvette is like 400-600 pounds lighter but yet the gto is so nice in my opinion. but idk know what to choose from a gto or a corvette? does ne one think i should just keep the gto and make it faster or what plz let me know just wanna here what other ppl have to say about it.

thanks
    goats are the shit, vettes are the shit, f-bodies are the shit!!!! but definitely the vette would be my top choice. and that jerk who keeps givin' you shit is being a real ass. talkin' about your grammar and age, who the hell cares. if you can pay for it and keep it on the road in a safe manner, buy the bitch and run 'er to the ground. by the way i let him know how impressed i was about ability to pick on you and how amazing his punctuations are.

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

I would say corvette, but depending on how much money you have already spent on the gto, I would go with the goat. You probably already have a few payments on it so I would keep it and mod that. For insurance im guessing its going to be about the same at the age of 17, vette maybe a little more but i doubt it.

1985 Vette

Get the C5, I ran a new GTO at the track with my 1985/406 and took him by @ 2 cars, he had me by 1 car until 1/2 track then I dusted him on top end

A C5 would be much nicer, IMHO, but you should check on insurance cost before you decide.

When I was 18 back in 1978, I bought a Smokey & The Bandit Trans Am special edition Hurst package, and they raped me with $260 per month insurance

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information