MrWillys

Corvette Goodyear runflats?

This topic has probably already been beat to heII, but I want to know what kind of tires you're running. I put a new set of the Goodyear runflats on at 10,000 miles and I'm already seeing the wear at 11,700. At over $400 per tire I was wondering if there's something a little cheaper, and maybe a softer sidewall? I swear it's the damn 6 spd, and doesn't everyone dry off there car at 100+ in 3rd?

Quicksilver
    2001 Corvette

My original Goodyear runflats became very noisy,especially the rears.In fact,I thought that a bad rear wheel bearing was causing the noise.Two years ago,at 18,000 miles,I replaced all four tires with KUHMO ECSTA MX runflats.The noise went away,and the ride improved greatly.After putting about 6,000 miles on them,they don't show any wear.A friend put a set of Kuhmos on his C4,and recommended them to me for my C5.
    In 2004,I paid around $800 with shipping from Tire Rack for the four tires.
    The Kuhmo designation for runflat is "XRP" in these tires.They are also available as standard non-runflats in the same sizes.
    Last edited by Quicksilver Vert; 05-16-2006 at 07:13 AM.

Nassau Blue
    1999 FRC Corvette

Dump the run flats, go to a non-run flat tire, I run Ecsta mx's and tire wear and sound are down. went with goodyears runflats for two sets big $$. Got a flat on one and I could not find anyone in a hundred miles, even the dealer, who had the tire equip to change it, and when I got to someone who could they would not repair the tire, they said that most run flats cannot be repaired. Cost is higher to change tires, and a nail can cost you hundreds! GET TRIPLE A AND DUMP THE RUN FLATS

Torch Red
    2000 Corvette

Corvette Goodyear runflats?

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver Vert
    My original Goodyear runflats became very noisy,especially the rears.In fact,I thought that a bad rear wheel bearing was causing the noise.Two years ago,at 18,000 miles,I replaced all four tires with KUHMO ECSTA MX runflats.The noise went away,and the ride improved greatly.After putting about 6,000 miles on them,they don't show any wear.A friend put a set of Kuhmos on his C4,and recommended them to me for my C5.
    In 2004,I paid around $800 with shipping from Tire Rack for the four tires.
    The Kuhmo designation for runflat is "XRP" in these tires.They are also available as standard non-runflats in the same sizes.
    I'm running the Kumho's on the street and am very satisfied with them. Less noise, better traction, and lower cost. I keep a electronic air compressor and fix a flat kit in my storage bay in case of an emergency. I haven't had one yet though.

Quicksilver
    2001 Corvette

I also have an emergency plugging kit and a small 12 volt compressor in the rear storage compartment.So far I haven't had to use it either,but it's there when you need it.With no spare,what can AAA do for a flat tire except to flatbed your Vette somewhere?

Thread Information