Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

RED
    1998 Camaro SS Vert

Which corvette to buy ??

So, I'm selling my 1998 Supercharged Camaro SS Convertible to purchase a vette. Here is my question. Do I buy a 2002-2004 Z06 or a 2005-2006 C-6 non-Z06? They are both in similar price range. Do you guys know if the performance of the Z-06 would be better then the regular C-6, or are they about the same? Styling wise I like the C-6 better, but the 02-04 Z06 looks good too. Any information you all would have on the differences would be much appreciated. Thanks!

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinSS View Post
    So, I'm selling my 1998 Supercharged Camaro SS Convertible to purchase a vette. Here is my question. Do I buy a 2002-2004 Z06 or a 2005-2006 C-6 non-Z06? They are both in similar price range. Do you guys know if the performance of the Z-06 would be better then the regular C-6, or are they about the same? Styling wise I like the C-6 better, but the 02-04 Z06 looks good too. Any information you all would have on the differences would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    get the c6..it is newer it has the ls2 which is a great powerplant ...the c6s are damn close to c5 z06 times if not right there ... i personally think the c6s all around are better than the c5s

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

This is a seriously tough choice. The c5 z06 is 70lbs lighter lol not much of a difference. They make the same power but the ls2 is a 6.0 compared to the 5.7 so it has more potential if your gonna mod it that far. the c5 z06 will probably handle a little better unless you get the z51 package on the c6. Braking from 60-0 is almost identical. Personally I would get the c5 z06, but thats only because its my favorite body style and i always wanted a car with a z06 plate on the fender.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

For the most part I agree with shady's post....however a C5 Z06 is lighter weight than any C6. My buddy JD_Z28 had to correct me on that fact about a year ago. I thought the C6 (Z06) was a lighter in overall weight which obviously equates to a better power to weight ratio. I was initially wrong. So it all depends if that's a factor in making a decision for you...either one is a good choice IMO.

**edit** Zinergy beat me to the post about the weight issue.
    Last edited by ntimid8r; 05-26-2010 at 08:31 AM. Reason: update

Black
    1999 WS6

Having owned a 2006 Z06, I'd go with the C6 version personally but that's just me.
    Now one question comes to mind....why do you want to get rid of your SS for a Vette?

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by kevnstac View Post
    Having owned a 2006 Z06, I'd go with the C6 version personally but that's just me.
    Now one question comes to mind....why do you want to get rid of your SS for a Vette?
    Because a vette is a better car in everyway? Handles better, stops better, is lighter, makes more power(stock). A vette is a hard thing to beat whether you plan to leave it stock or mod it. Its an amazing platform, better than anything ford or dodge offer as far as a all around great performance platform.

RED
    1998 Camaro SS Vert

Quote Originally Posted by kevnstac View Post
    I've just always wanted a corvette. Never could afford one until now, and the wife says she likes the corvette better then the Camaro. So it's a win win situation for me. Although I will miss the SS since I bought it stock and built it myself. However, I can always do that with the Vette. Thanks for the info. everyone. Any more information would be appreciated. In case you're interested to see my SS here it is.. on Ebay....http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...STRK:MESELX:IT Thanks
    Last edited by SmokinSS; 05-26-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: link

black
    02 vette vert

one major consideration is the roof. whether you like the general styling of the c5s or c6s better, one is a frc and the other is a fastback type hatchback with removeable roof section. BIG difference. the frc c5 does it for me, anything can be made faster if you need it.

blacker than wesleysnipes
    98' trans am

Quote Originally Posted by dklowrider View Post
    , anything can be made faster if you need it.
    this is true but that isnt the big picture

a gutted out 85 civic can be faster than a zr1...but no one would dare say the civic is a better all around platform than the zr1

victory red
    2007 zo6

i have had owned 3 c/5 corvettes and one c/5 zo6,[2004] is best one of those.. you cant beat the newer models-c/6.. at least go for the ,,c/6 zo6,, love mine 427 cubes/505 horse stock !! love that torque , and power...some guys are runing low 11 at the drags, high 10 with drag tires on !! pure stock.. of course cant beat the latest one, c/6 zr1,supercharged /638 horses, but they go for a lot more bucks.. my son picked up his at factory, bowling green,ky.. museum delivery !! you get a chance in life ,do this !! rkvette

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by shady milkman View Post
    this is true but that isnt the big picture

a gutted out 85 civic can be faster than a zr1...but no one would dare say the civic is a better all around platform than the zr1
    you are certainly right about that. but, if i don't like the looks/style etc. of a particular car i'm certainly not going to buy it because it's a better platform. i guess it depends what you're buying it for, the street or the track.

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by rkvette View Post
    i have had owned 3 c/5 corvettes and one c/5 zo6,[2004] is best one of those.. you cant beat the newer models-c/6.. at least go for the ,,c/6 zo6,, love mine 427 cubes/505 horse stock !! love that torque , and power...some guys are runing low 11 at the drags, high 10 with drag tires on !! pure stock.. of course cant beat the latest one, c/6 zr1,supercharged /638 horses, but they go for a lot more bucks.. my son picked up his at factory, bowling green,ky.. museum delivery !! you get a chance in life ,do this !! rkvette
    c6 z06 isnt an option for him, you can get a c5 z06 with lower miles for 22-28k. A c6 z06 with decent miles will be 45-50k. Thats a big difference, almost double the price
    Last edited by Zinergy; 05-26-2010 at 01:59 PM.

victory red
    2007 zo6

500 horses always better than 400 horses !! my c/6 zo6 weighs just over 3,000 lbs, stock carbon fiber fenders.. c/6 have more horses,stop quicker, better handiling, more mpg,etc.. c/6 or c/6/zo6 , 427 engines may be rare in future? mpg is better, lighter ,more aeroryamics, also headlights dont have to turn up at night. . of course its more monies !! b/c it better.. rkvette

If you mention C6 Zo6 to this guy :

1. Read the original post
    2. You are retarted
    3. That said, I'de get the C6 over a C5 Zo6. I'm biased tho...

I like the removable top.

If I want to go faster than a C5 Zo6 I'll up the spray. I am happy with a bone stock Vette. Way better car than a Camaro. I like the handling, style and ride of the vette not the performance it puts out.
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Having owned 6 Camaros, the last two of which were 1999 SS, and a 2001 SS, and I dropped a crate engine into the very last one. It was a LS6 which I built to over 500 ponies before it ever say the wheel wells.
    I can tell you that owning a Corvette GREATLY surpasses that of any [stock] Camaro.
    Like yourself, I have always wanted a Vette, but couldn't afford one either. Now, please take my advice...buy the C6!
    GM addressed most, if not all of the customer complaints regarding the C5's when they designed the C6. It is by far a much more advanced car in everyway. During the course of the C5's lifetime, GM refined the car to it's fullest (allowable by original design) and the C5Z is by no means an inferior car to the C6 [base] car.
    But the C6 has many newer features that simply were not included in the C5. Not to mention many more safety features and a better interior as well, although in my opinion, GM didn't take the car fully to the level it should have interior wise.
    If there was a way to find a C6Z that you could possibly afford, that should be your ultimate goal, as the car has more power than you could possibly use on the street, doing power slides at 70+ MPH in second gear is something to experiance, not to mention doing 130+ MPH in 3rd gear.
    My Z06 is the best car I've ever owned.
    Buy the C6!!!!

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Because a vette is a better car in everyway? Handles better, stops better, is lighter, makes more power(stock). A vette is a hard thing to beat whether you plan to leave it stock or mod it. Its an amazing platform, better than anything ford or dodge offer as far as a all around great performance platform.
    All true. But I still prefer the WS6 or SS due to the rarity factor. For every WS6/SS I see around here, I probably see 20 vettes. I like being special (or at least thinking I am). It's not all about which car is faster for me...

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinSS View Post
    I've just always wanted a corvette. Never could afford one until now, and the wife says she likes the corvette better then the Camaro. So it's a win win situation for me.
    But you can't argue with that either...

Red
    2001 WS6

If it was between a C5Z and a base model c6 i think i would settle with the C5Z. I know the c6 is more refined but the exterior on the base c6 is blah to me unless your going with a GS. I love the widebody. You can always do a engine swap or build the current one up. If the c6 didnt come out in the wide body i prolly would not own one.

Silvaa
    2007 Corvette

I got rid of my SS a year or so ago and just picked up a C6. my initial plans were a c5 z06, but once I realized I could get a C6 for the same price it was a no brainer. The interior is certainly nicer, plus you can always put Z06 fenders on, resale might be better as well. Then of course you can have the same essential car with a removable roof, which is soo nice on great days. Don't get me wrong I love the c5 Z, but a C6 is all around a better car I think.

2011 Silverado CC 4x4 6.2

I really like hardtop cars, so its a Z06 for me no matter which generation. If that makes no difference to you, then the C6 LS2 is the car to buy

Impounded

VW BEETLE W/ FLOWER
    88 CRX

i know this is an older post..just had too throw in my 2 cents.

if you can choose between a c5 anything or the most basic model c6...i would always choose the c6 its just an over all better car rides better looks better feels better..although i HATE the 05 steering wheel with a passion. looks ugly too me

did i mention how much better it rides than a c5?
    Last edited by TmaxicanA; 06-29-2010 at 05:20 PM.

Thread Information