Results 1 to 14 of 14

C7 front rotors

This is a discussion on C7 front rotors within the Corvette forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I was playing with the "Build you car" at Chevys website and was surprised by something. Is it true that ...

  1. #1
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,325

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    C7 front rotors

    I was playing with the "Build you car" at Chevys website and was surprised by something. Is it true that base C7 front brake rotors are only 12.6 inches diameter and the Z51 has 13.6 inchers? Those seem a little small for a sports car that 3,400 pounds. Is there something in the setup that makes up for the smaller diameter?

  2. #2
    Moderator 98TransAmWs-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    3,596

    Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

    That's the same it was for the c6 roughly. The z06 on the c6 are 14" but I don't know if the c7 z06 are any bigger or not.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 - Phantom
    421 CI LQ9, Tick Performance Custom Cam, TFS 255cc LS3 heads, Kooks 2" LT headers, Kooks 3" True Duals w/ high flow cats, FTP 104 lid, Speed Density Tune, 4" silicon tube, LS6 VCT, FAST 102 Intake, NW 102 TB, Oil Catch Can, SLP Bilstein Shocks w/ Vogtland Springs, CTS-V 4-piston Calipers w/C6 Z06 rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, R1 concepts premium rotors, Hawk HP+ brake pads, VFN WSQ Hood, C5-R timing chain, SLP oil pump, E85 tune, Walbro 450 fuel pump, Deatschwerkz 95# injectors, Breathless performance headlights, Frost Tune, !HVAC.
    (Coming Soon) BMR DSL, UMI TQ Arm
    421 LQ9 14.8:1 on E85 Build/

  3. #3
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,325

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    That's the same it was for the c6 roughly. The z06 on the c6 are 14" but I don't know if the c7 z06 are any bigger or not.
    I am somewhat surprised, I am seeing midsized sedans with 14 inch rotors and such. I would think it wouldve been larger.

  4. #4
    Moderator 98TransAmWs-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    3,596

    Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

    Rotor size doesn't mean anything without the proper caliper and pads to match. You can easily have a car brake better with a better caliper with smaller rotors than one that just has large rotors.

  5. #5
    Moderator 98TransAmWs-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    3,596

    Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

    All it is doing is roughly giving you more surface area to bite down on but that doesn't mean shit if your calipers and pads suck. For mid size sedans all it is is a stunt to be able to say they have big rotors and nothing more as their calipers and pads are no where near that of a vette or the quality and effectiveness of their rotors for that matter. Everything works together. It's like in an engine a big ass cam means shit if you can't get the power to the ground or have the heads and exhaust to let it breath.

  6. #6
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,325

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    All it is doing is roughly giving you more surface area to bite down on but that doesn't mean shit if your calipers and pads suck. For mid size sedans all it is is a stunt to be able to say they have big rotors and nothing more as their calipers and pads are no where near that of a vette or the quality and effectiveness of their rotors for that matter. Everything works together. It's like in an engine a big ass cam means shit if you can't get the power to the ground or have the heads and exhaust to let it breath.
    So, by getting better calipers and pads/rotors kit (say off of a C5/C6 'Vette/Z51) even a 4th gen should have kick arse braking over some of what is passing for "sporty sedans"?

  7. #7
    Moderator 98TransAmWs-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    3,596

    Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

    C7 front rotors

    I'd say so yes. I know my TA with cts-v brembos and c6 z06 rotors stops pretty damn quick.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,325

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    I'd say so yes. I know my TA with cts-v brembos and c6 z06 rotors stops pretty damn quick.
    For some reason, I thought you were running CTS-V rotors too, same as C6 Z06 ?

  9. #9
    Moderator 98TransAmWs-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    3,596

    Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

    Quote Originally Posted by Whamhammer View Post
    For some reason, I thought you were running CTS-V rotors too, same as C6 Z06 ?
    No cts-v rotors, r1 concepts c6 z06 14" rotors are what I am running now. I am running cts-v hawk hp+ pads though.

  10. #10
    Moderator 98TransAmWs-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    3,596

    Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

    If you are looking at upgrading your calipers I would not even give the c5 a look and either go c6 z06 or cts-v. The 4 piston v1 calipers for the front are direct bolt on but the c6 z06 are not but you can do both front and rear. They are also a lot more expensive.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,325

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    If you are looking at upgrading your calipers I would not even give the c5 a look and either go c6 z06 or cts-v. The 4 piston v1 calipers for the front are direct bolt on but the c6 z06 are not but you can do both front and rear. They are also a lot more expensive.
    I was thingking of going with C6 Z51 rotors, if I remember right they are about 13.5 inch diameter, the pix Ive seen of the 14 inchers make me too nervous about small rocks and stuff.
    Last edited by Whamhammer; 09-13-2015 at 03:20 PM.

  12. #12
    Moderator 98TransAmWs-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    3,596

    Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

    Not sure what you mean do you mean clearance wise?

  13. #13
    Senior Member Whamhammer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Posts
    1,325

    Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

    Quote Originally Posted by 98TransAmWs-6 View Post
    Not sure what you mean do you mean clearance wise?
    Clearance wise. I'm willing to give up a half of an inch for a little peice of mind. I would hate to have some pebble or asphalt get wedged between the barrell and the caliper. If the car came factory with 18's, I would do 14 inchers in a heartbeat, but I am running the stock 17's with snow tires.

  14. #14
    Moderator 98TransAmWs-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA
    Posts
    3,596

    Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

    Ah yeah I have 18s on my TA.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Anyone put front calipers & rotors on rear??
    By COKEBOTTLES in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-01-2009, 08:47 PM
  2. Need Stock Front Rotors
    By autocrosser in forum Rocky Mountain Members
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-17-2008, 03:24 PM
  3. front rotors
    By slpgto2004 in forum GTO
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-15-2007, 12:36 PM
  4. Front brake rotors warped again
    By mrbob2 in forum Suspension and Handling
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-18-2006, 07:47 AM
  5. FS: LS1 front brakes & rear rotors.
    By Carlos01SS in forum Western Members
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2006, 11:18 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •