Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

C7 Corvette vs Nissan GTR

This is a discussion on C7 Corvette vs Nissan GTR within the Corvette forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by adam3566 Well considering most vette owners ARE NOT around that hp, theres not really a need to ...

2009 Corvette ZO6

Quote Originally Posted by adam3566
    Well considering most vette owners ARE NOT around that hp, theres not really a need to worry.
    Again though, your speaking from both a C5, and early C6 perspective. The new blown ZR1 is just the tip of the iceberg, as many people soon see a turbo charged Corvette on the way, and nobody will be paying anything more than $100,000.00 for a Corvette that is capped at only making five to six hundred horsepower when they can have a naturally aspirated one making those numbers for a quarter of the price....

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal View Post
    Again though, your speaking from both a C5, and early C6 perspective. The new blown ZR1 is just the tip of the iceberg, as many people soon see a turbo charged Corvette on the way, and nobody will be paying anything more than $100,000.00 for a Corvette that is capped at only making five to six hundred horsepower when they can have a naturally aspirated one making those numbers for a quarter of the price....
    People will pay it. No affense but your theory is kinda wrong there. Look at any of the 500hp+ vehicles. Most are 200k plus and guess what people buy them. Yes it is mostly celebrities or people who have a very well paying career, but in the end people will buy them.

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Quote Originally Posted by 2000LS1Bird View Post
    To you guys who are worried about tradition, all I can say is this:

The Porsche 911 Turbo didn't always have AWD, but it does now!

And it completely PWNS a Corvette!

Seriously guys, why be opposed to modern technology?

Personally, I'd never pay the extra $$ for a two-seater car like the Vette when so many better automotive options are out there for that price tag, but IF the line-up included and AWD version, I might consider it.

I'm out. (And probably won't be back to Vette forum for another 6 months. Yawn.)
    Got to disagree with you on that one. http://www.spdkilz.org/Video-Audio/C...vs911Turbo.wmv

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Times are changing, as well as the fuel itself. What you need to contemplate more deeply is the fact that GM actually created a blown Corvette from the factory. Although my LS7 Z06 is still stock, it can be taken to nine seconds in the quarter mile rather easily, not to mention 200+mph. Despite this though, GM still created a factory supercharged Corvette, with a much heaftier sales price. I don't think fuel regulations are a concern for them, especially with a car that has always employed it's own set of rules....
    Got to agree somewhat with ya. Once they figure out a better way to formulate E85 I think you'll see all sport cars running on it. It's a way better fuel than premium 93 octane. Most E85 or E70 (during winter) is 96-106 octane which is a hell of a lot better and cheaper than running 93 or 110 if your at the track.

2009 Corvette ZO6

Quote Originally Posted by adam3566
    People will pay it. No affense but your theory is kinda wrong there. Look at any of the 500hp+ vehicles. Most are 200k plus and guess what people buy them. Yes it is mostly celebrities or people who have a very well paying career, but in the end people will buy them
    ^ Herein lies your mistake, "people will pay it" lol, WHO will pay that much for a Corvette, you, or the rich celebrities? Okay, celebrities will obviously pay that much and then some for a ZR1 Corvette, but which celebrities would honestly even care then for that matter if the Corvette went AWD, which is in fact the discussion here, remember? Your speaking for celebrities who could honestly care less if the Corvette had a powerglide, let alone AWD, they're more interested in the image it presents....

Stay on topic, don't turn this into the percentage of Corvette owners who actually run 700+ horsepower, the topic is AWD. As said, the new ZR1 is just the tip of the iceberg, 700+ horsepower sports cars from the factory will soon be the norm in a few years, yet you sit there and somehow feel RWD is more than capeable of putting that power to the pavement no problem, simply because you fear change, backed by the old "stay traditional" facade. Have you ever been in a 600-RWHP inspired car? You think it's that easy to pull a 1.50 sixty foot in one, puh-lease, your watching way too much youtube and streetfire....

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

^ Herein lies your mistake, "people will pay it" lol, WHO will pay that much for a Corvette, you, or the rich celebrities? Okay, celebrities will obviously pay that much and then some for a ZR1 Corvette, but which celebrities would honestly even care then for that matter if the Corvette went AWD, which is in fact the discussion here, remember? Your speaking for celebrities who could honestly care less if the Corvette had a powerglide, let alone AWD, they're more interested in the image it presents....

Stay on topic, don't turn this into the percentage of Corvette owners who actually run 700+ horsepower, the topic is AWD. As said, the new ZR1 is just the tip of the iceberg, 700+ horsepower sports cars from the factory will soon be the norm in a few years, yet you sit there and somehow feel RWD is more than capeable of putting that power to the pavement no problem, simply because you fear change, backed by the old "stay traditional" facade. Have you ever been in a 600-RWHP inspired car? You think it's that easy to pull a 1.50 sixty foot in one, puh-lease, your watching way too much youtube and streetfire....
    That is hilarious that you say youtube or streetfire. You are correct in the fact that I don't have either my Vette or T/A is close to 700hp but I still enjoy them. My point is that look at yourself with your z06. You paid I'm guessing 60k plus for a vehicle that has 100 more hp than mine and you spent nearly 20k more.

2009 Corvette ZO6

^ Difference being that my Z06 will not lose value as quickly as yours because of it's demand, if it even loses value at all. Getting back on track though (pun intended lol), what is more feasible to you, and please, be realistic, purchasing a new Corvette ZR1 and installing a load of aftermarket suspension tweaks to plant every bit of it's power (ruining book value, not to mention warranty), or simply purchasing a factory AWD ZR1, and not have to worry? Again, I never implied making "every" Corvette AWD, but it would be a tremendous benefit in having that option offered. I mean, I remember people whining of how the new F-Body's (at the time) were getting traction control. Same arguement from them; it doesn't need it, it's not traditional, until they realized they could order one w/out, or simply turn it off....

White/Silver
    1989 GTA 98 GTP coupe

Traction control is a lot different than AWD though, you're talking about redesigning a good amount of the car.
    -98 GTP Coupe. Silvermist and stock.

-89 GTA*** L98, P1-SC, 24# SVO's, MSD 6-A, March underdrive pulleys, Edelbrock headers/catback and some other goodies.

~Tony

2009 Corvette ZO6

^.... I was referring to the concept of inevitable change.

As for the redesign, wouldn't be too hard for them. I mean, if the guys from VTG can create an AWD Corvette, I'm sure the boys over at GM will perfect one....

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by z28punk View Post
    i think the only tradition that corvette has stayed true to is that it is the best sports car for the buck. they will put AWD in if it improves on the car. if it doesnt add much performance, and costs too much, it will get the axe and stay RWD. the corvette engineers are usually smart with these kinds of things.
    I think I agree with that. I'm sure GM will leave no stone unturned in testing this car, and that's refreshing to know. I think while they go onward with this project, they will be smart enough to know that if this could turn into a blotched project that they will scrap it

That's a major structural change in the Corvette as we know it; same thing if they were to build a mid-engine Corvette
    Last edited by Z06-Goose; 02-16-2008 at 10:18 PM.
    2007 Audi RS 4

let the F-Bodies roll jimmybling31's Avatar

white
    94 camaro z28

Nobody feels that it is a necessity, however, there are plenty of enthusiasts out there who desire such a configuration. They don't all have to come with AWD, but at least make it an option. Then, when all of the speculation is put to rest, the AWD will shine. As for any potential weight penalty, that's completely irrelevant....

Your kidding, I hope lol. No car is fool proof, yet. You cannot blame the car for a drivers mistake, which I'm sure it was. Try putting the driver of this Skyline (Click Here) behind the same exact GTR, would be a different outcome, I'm sure....
    that gtr was friggin awesome.

red
    1999 transam

i rather have rwd myself

2009 Corvette ZO6

^ That's cool, but may I ask why though....?

2009 Corvette ZO6

Quote Originally Posted by jimmybling31
    that gtr was friggin awesome.
    I know, I'd love to give that beast a whirl around the track. This AWD Lambo is just as sweet in my opinion, and yes, for those wondering, she easily spins all four tires on the prepped drag strip, Click Here....

Millennium Yellow
    '02 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by 2000LS1Bird View Post
    To you guys who are worried about tradition, all I can say is this:

The Porsche 911 Turbo didn't always have AWD, but it does now!

And it completely PWNS a Corvette!

Seriously guys, why be opposed to modern technology?

Personally, I'd never pay the extra $$ for a two-seater car like the Vette when so many better automotive options are out there for that price tag, but IF the line-up included and AWD version, I might consider it.

I'm out. (And probably won't be back to Vette forum for another 6 months. Yawn.)
    You should stay out of the Corvette section longer than that. You obviously dont know shit about Corvettes. Last time I checked, the '08 Z06 "PWNS" the '08 Porsche 911 turbo. Tell me what is a better two seater than the Corvette in that same price range?! I will answer it for you, there isnt one.

To the OP, personally I wouldnt want AWD in the Vette. If it was coming from the factory with 800+ hp then I might consider it but I seriously doubt GM will be doing that to the Vette. I think the horsepower wars are coming close to an end for the time being. But again, thats my opinion and you have yours.

2009 Corvette ZO6

Quote Originally Posted by NemesisZ06
    To the OP, personally I wouldnt want AWD in the Vette. If it was coming from the factory with 800+ hp then I might consider it but I seriously doubt GM will be doing that to the Vette....
    Again, I honestly respect everyone's opinion regarding what they want and what they don't want from the C7 Corvette. A dual clutch gearbox has already been reported for the next generation, and there are endless rumors that GM is already testing an AWD version. Weight is obviously the issue, which is why nobody knows anything yet. If it turns out that they would have to employ an all new mid engine design, then yes, an AWD won't see the light of day anytime soon. But if it turns out that the weight won't be a disadvantage, believe me, you can expect to see an AWD version introduced. The Corvette is on another platform now, and saying; "Tell me what is a better two seater than the Corvette in that same price range", has become completely irrlevant because the ZR1 is now over six figures. It's become an American exotic, and last I checked, the average American's annual income wouldn't allow for him or her to even sit in one....

Millennium Yellow
    '02 Corvette

The Corvette is on another platform now, and saying; "Tell me what is a better two seater than the Corvette in that same price range", has become completely irrlevant because the ZR1 is now over six figures. It's become an American exotic, and last I checked, the average American's annual income wouldn't allow for him or her to even sit in one....
    I wasnt talking about the ZR1, I was talking about the base C6. Again, there is no better two seater sports car than the Corvette in the same price range. Even if you do include the ZR1, the closest you can come to it is the Viper, and the is really a personal preferance. As far as I know, no tests have been done between the ZR1 and the top of the line Viper yet but from the numbers, the ZR1 will beat any '08 stock Viper that is being made. And also, MSRP for the ZR1 is just under $100k. Its the dealer markup thats going to send it over six figures.

2009 Corvette ZO6

I wasnt talking about the ZR1, I was talking about the base C6....
    Exactly, and I wasn't talking about giving every Corvette AWD, just the more advanced version of the car; The ZO6, the ZR1 etc...

Again, there is no better two seater sports car than the Corvette in the same price range....
    But who is arguing about price range though, this thread is about AWD. If I thought the Corvette wasn't a bargain I wouldn't have purchased my ZO6...

Even if you do include the ZR1, the closest you can come to it is the Viper, and the is really a personal preferance....
    Are you talking about pricing? The Nissan GT-R is in the very same price range....

As far as I know, no tests have been done between the ZR1 and the top of the line Viper yet but from the numbers, the ZR1 will beat any '08 stock Viper that is being made....
    This thread isn't about the new Corvette ZR1 vs Dodge Viper, nor is it about a base Corvette's sales price vs the rest of the world, it's about a possible AWD Corvette taking on the new, Click Here, Nissan GT-R. Understand that it was never the question of the Corvette's performance potential, as my stock ZO6 can run deep into the elevens all day long if I pushed it, it's about taking on the best the world has to offer in the twisties, getting out of the hole, simply put, a superior driving experience, w/out having to resort to aftermarket tweaks....

And also, MSRP for the ZR1 is just under $100k. Its the dealer markup thats going to send it over six figures.
    Irrelevant, as the average Joe will be paying way over $100,000.00, regardless lol....

Millennium Yellow
    '02 Corvette

Damn dude, you just like to ramble on about everything and then go back and say, "this thread is only about AWD". Make up your mind. I wasnt even talking to you about Corvette being the best two seater sports car out there for the money. What I was talking to you about was the original subject, which was a Corvette being made into AWD. Now, let me reply to your ridiculous responses to my comments.

Exactly, and I wasn't talking about giving every Corvette AWD, just the more advanced version of the car; The ZO6, the ZR1 etc...
    Again, In My Opinion I think it wont happen and is pointless to do it unless GM started to make the Corvette with 800+ hp. That is my opinion and you have yours. I know you werent talking about all of them having AWD and only having it as an option. You asked peoples opinions on this subject and I gave you mine. You are getting your panties in a wad over this whole thing. You need to understand not everyone is going to agree with you.

But who is arguing about price range though, this thread is about AWD. If I thought the Corvette wasn't a bargain I wouldn't have purchased my ZO6...
    See the first part of my statement.

Are you talking about pricing? The Nissan GT-R is in the very same price range....
    Ok you probably have me on that one and then it will come down to personal preferance.

This thread isn't about the new Corvette ZR1 vs Dodge Viper, nor is it about a base Corvette's sales price vs the rest of the world, it's about a possible AWD Corvette taking on the new, Click Here, Nissan GT-R. Understand that it was never the question of the Corvette's performance potential, as my stock ZO6 can run deep into the elevens all day long if I pushed it, it's about taking on the best the world has to offer in the twisties, getting out of the hole, simply put, a superior driving experience, w/out having to resort to aftermarket tweaks....
    Again, see this first part of my statement.

Irrelevant, as the average Joe will be paying way over $100,000.00, regardless lol....
    Next time read what I wrote instead of skimming through it. I said MSRP is just under $100k. Dealer markup is whats going to send it over the six digit mark. I never disagreed with you that the "average Joe" wouldnt be paying over $100k for it.

Now why dont you go post this subject of the Corvette Forum and see how many people you will get to disagree with you on the AWD subject. And if you have posted it already, please send me the link to it cause I havent seen it yet. And Im on there every day. Again I want to clarify this, you have your opinion and I have my own, so dont get so pissy when someone doesnt agree with you.

2009 Corvette ZO6

Damn dude, you just like to ramble on about everything and then go back and say, "this thread is only about AWD". Make up your mind. I wasnt even talking to you about Corvette being the best two seater sports car out there for the money....
    Umm, Nemesis, I started this thread, so whether you like it or not I'll respond to "whatever" statement that I want to. I'm not rambling on with anything, it is you who fail to to find the feasibility behind why people feel the Corvette shouldn't be AWD, and because of this, we hear other irrelevant things as some type of argument justification (which I'm merely retorting) relating to cost, tradition, blah blah blah. For those who are concerned with cost, the ZR1 is already out of your league, so why would you even care if it had AWD or not? For those who are concerned about tradition, may I suggest a horse and buggy, because I'm sure the people who rode horses way back when felt the same way that you do now when the futuristic "automobile" started mass production. The only realistic argument has to do with weight, and we'll see where that goes. Other than that, I honestly don't think that GM is targeting the Corvette for the "I wanna do burn outs" crowd, especially with the Camaro being back into production lol....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information