Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

C7 Corvette vs Nissan GTR

This is a discussion on C7 Corvette vs Nissan GTR within the Corvette forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by Frosty Iron Duke FTW! ^ fly89GTA , by any chance....?...

2009 Corvette ZO6

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    Iron Duke FTW!
    ^ fly89GTA, by any chance....?

2009 Corvette ZO6

Quote Originally Posted by adam3566
    You can't change something 55 years old!
    Come on now Adam, the Corvette was constantly improved upon (changed) throughout the years. Carburetion (traditional) to Fuel Injection, 16 valves (traditional) to the LT5-ZR1, naturally aspirated (traditional) to the Supercharged ZR1, so don't sit there and talk to me about tradition, as it's been changed for the better numerous times already. AWD is a compliment, just like all the other changes mentioned....

White/Silver
    1989 GTA 98 GTP coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Street Lethal View Post
    ^ fly89GTA, by any chance....?
    Yup

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

i think the only tradition that corvette has stayed true to is that it is the best sports car for the buck. they will put AWD in if it improves on the car. if it doesnt add much performance, and costs too much, it will get the axe and stay RWD. the corvette engineers are usually smart with these kinds of things.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Come on now Adam, the Corvette was constantly improved upon (changed) throughout the years. Carburetion (traditional) to Fuel Injection, 16 valves (traditional) to the LT5-ZR1, naturally aspirated (traditional) to the Supercharged ZR1, so don't sit there and talk to me about tradition, as it's been changed for the better numerous times already. AWD is a compliment, just like all the other changes mentioned....
    Can't say I agree sir.

AWD adds a ton of complexity, a ton more weight, more drivetrain loss, and it doesn't really benefit anything.

The car already has enough available traction to go 0-60 in 3.4 seconds and its one of the best handling cars out there, I can't see AWD being a benefit.

Plus, there would be no more brake stands, burnouts, or getting sideways around turns

Avus Silver
    2007 Audi RS4

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman View Post

Plus, there would be no more brake stands, burnouts, or getting sideways around turns
    I will definitely miss that!
    2007 Audi RS 4

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

My .2

When I think of a Vette- I think of rear wheel tire smoking/ light car/ high HP fast 1/4 mile times. I don't think AWD fits this car.

I wouldn't think it was the end of the world if the offered an AWD option, but to make them all AWD would hurt the vettes iconic imagine. IMO

As far as the new Nissan GTR vs vette? I personally would much rather have the vette. Regardless of track comparisions, etc. I think the vette is a cleaner looking, sleek, iconic ride. the other is more of a fad.

I do respect the power and times it produces (GTR)-- but I am Vette man myself.

White/Silver
    1989 GTA 98 GTP coupe

Those times are bogus. Granted it's the internet so you can't believe EVERYTHING but rumor has it that Nissan brought in a ringer. More boost than stock, slicks and partially..um...deleted interior.

Think about it though, the GTR somehow defies the laws of physics. How can a 3800# 480hp car outrun(or come close to it) a 3200# 505HP car?
    -98 GTP Coupe. Silvermist and stock.

-89 GTA*** L98, P1-SC, 24# SVO's, MSD 6-A, March underdrive pulleys, Edelbrock headers/catback and some other goodies.

~Tony

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    Those times are bogus. Granted it's the internet so you can't believe EVERYTHING but rumor has it that Nissan brought in a ringer. More boost than stock, slicks and partially..um...deleted interior.

Think about it though, the GTR somehow defies the laws of physics. How can a 3800# 480hp car outrun(or come close to it) a 3200# 505HP car?
    It doesn't. Nissan is so full of themselves though, thats what they're trying to claim.

Can't wait to see the vids on Youtube of stock Z06's beating the hell out of Nissan's pride and joy.

Here is what happens when an aftermarket turbocharged 350Z tries to run a stock Z06:

And that 350Z weighs about 500lbs less and has 140WHP more than the GT-R.

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

awd is a compliment? please it's for people who can't drive for shit. It's like training wheels for a car. No shit the vette has been improved upon. But AWD would not be one of them. I can guarantee you if you asked 1000 vette owners if they would want awd, pretty much 95% or better would say no thank you.

2009 Corvette ZO6

Quote Originally Posted by Wesman
    Can't say I agree sir....
    Wesman, I never implied that the Corvette should come standard with AWD, however, as a Corvette owner, I personally wouldn't mind having an option for AWD....

AWD adds a ton of complexity, a ton more weight, more drivetrain loss, and it doesn't really benefit anything....
    ... a ton more weight? One ton is the equivalent to two thousand pounds, I know it was just a figure of speech on your part, but come on lol. As far as it not really being beneficial, again, as a Corvette owner, I completely disagree with you.

The car already has enough available traction to go 0-60 in 3.4 seconds and its one of the best handling cars out there, I can't see AWD being a benefit....
    Now that is irrelevant, as your assuming I'm referring to the track. I'm one of the more rare Corvette owners who actually drives his Z06 out on the street, to and from Atlantic City, in sometimes icy weather conditions, w/precious cargo. So, yes, it would be a tremendous benefit, for me, and others like me....

2009 Corvette ZO6

Quote Originally Posted by jrc1122
    I wouldn't think it was the end of the world if the offered an AWD option...
    This is exactly what I'm referring to....

2009 Corvette ZO6

Quote Originally Posted by Z06-Goose
    I will definitely miss that!
    Heh, you think AWD can't break the tires loose, Click Here....

^ Car spun down the track, we were there that night....

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Wesman, I never implied that the Corvette should come standard with AWD, however, as a Corvette owner, I personally wouldn't mind having an option for AWD....

... a ton more weight? One ton is the equivalent to two thousand pounds, I know it was just a figure of speech on your part, but come on lol. As far as it not really being beneficial, again, as a Corvette owner, I completely disagree with you.

Now that is irrelevant, as your assuming I'm referring to the track. I'm one of the more rare Corvette owners who actually drives his Z06 out on the street, to and from Atlantic City, in sometimes icy weather conditions, w/precious cargo. So, yes, it would be a tremendous benefit, for me, and others like me....
    Well what can I say...you have your opinions, I have mine

However, as someone else mentioned, I think the amount of Corvette enthusiasts who would want the Corvette to remain RWD far outweigh those, such as yourself, who would want it to be AWD.
    1998 Trans Am WS6 SGM
    Lid, Pro 5.0, WS6 Short Stick, LS7 Clutch, TB Bypass, Detroit TrueTrac, Poly Mounts, Bilstein Shocks, LS6 Intake, SFCs, CTS-V Brake Upgrade, STB, Nitto 555's. SS Longtube Headers and True Duals w/ H pipe and Magnaflows. Tuned by Harris Speed Works. 341.4WHP/346.1 lb/ft.

2009 Corvette ZO6

awd is a compliment? please it's for people who can't drive for shit....
    I honestly don't take people too seriously who resort to childish comments and language. I think it's hysterical how you both speak and ass-ume that the majority of Corvette owners would somehow prefer RWD. If you had half of a brain, you'd realize that horsepower keeps climbing upward each year (hence the reason why GM implemented the Supercharger), and in a few years, the "Corvette" will be making a phenomenal amount of power from the factory, and will need AWD....

I can guarantee you if you asked 1000 vette owners....
    ... and I can guarantee you that if you ask 1000 Corvette owners who are actually MAKING upwards of seven to eight hundred horsepower to the wheels the very same question, you'd feel pretty stupid lol!

pewter
    2001 z28 lingenfelter 383

id like to see an awd G8 ......living in a snowbelt area it sure would be nice to drive an lsx car year round

black Silver
    06 silverado/ 06 C6

Quote Originally Posted by tonyjnjz View Post
    id like to see an awd G8 ......living in a snowbelt area it sure would be nice to drive an lsx car year round
    Well considering most vette owners ARE NOT around that hp, theres not really a need to worry.

Pewter
    2002 Camaro Z28

in a few years, the "Corvette" will be making a phenomenal amount of power from the factory, and will need AWD....
    the way fuel economy regulations are going I dont think horsepower is going to jump that much higher. I think horsepower numbers will actually start to go down. regulations are getting too ridiculous.

Blue/White
    00 TA/05 Legacy GT

To you guys who are worried about tradition, all I can say is this:

The Porsche 911 Turbo didn't always have AWD, but it does now!

And it completely PWNS a Corvette!

Seriously guys, why be opposed to modern technology?

Personally, I'd never pay the extra $$ for a two-seater car like the Vette when so many better automotive options are out there for that price tag, but IF the line-up included and AWD version, I might consider it.

I'm out. (And probably won't be back to Vette forum for another 6 months. Yawn.)

2009 Corvette ZO6

Quote Originally Posted by z28punk
    the way fuel economy regulations are going I dont think horsepower is going to jump that much higher....
    Times are changing, as well as the fuel itself. What you need to contemplate more deeply is the fact that GM actually created a blown Corvette from the factory. Although my LS7 Z06 is still stock, it can be taken to nine seconds in the quarter mile rather easily, not to mention 200+mph. Despite this though, GM still created a factory supercharged Corvette, with a much heaftier sales price. I don't think fuel regulations are a concern for them, especially with a car that has always employed it's own set of rules....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information