Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

C6 Z06 did a 11.7@125?

Just passing through WAWA and saw front of Car and Driver that said new Z06 ran a 11.7@125 Is that right? Car and Driver guys good at squeezing every tenth out of their test runs?

Black
    99 SS

thats bad ass.

NBM
    98 Z

best magazine time is 11.5 @ 127 by MT.

Yup, the new Z is the real deal

Black
    99 SS

i cant wait to get one in 25 years... ha ah

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ

Bye bye Viper?

NBM
    98 Z

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley711
    Bye bye Viper?
    Not necessarily.

Viper has the coupe coming out very soon, which will be lighter and a bit more powerful, so they could get the straight-line crown back. Plus it has more of a unique/rare/exotic thing going for it, and more of a raw, badass persona. People who buy Vipers aren't necessarily looking for a docile daily driver that happens to be wicked fast and easy to drive. The Viper excels at turning heads and generally being brutal and badass...which is cool and everything, as long as you have a comfy daily driver (which Viper guys do).

As for every other category...yeah Z06 owns, and for $10k less.

Rhino21149
    Car and Driver guys good at squeezing every tenth out of their test runs?
    Car and Driver does good believable tests. They generally report slightly faster times than Motor Trend or Road and Track. For example, when the C5 ZO6 (405 HP) came out, Road&Track got 12.7 in the quarter, Motor Trend got 12.48, and Car and Driver got it in 12.4. That's about how most tests go: C&D is a bit faster than the others.

My 2002 Z06, 405 HP, stock, would do the quarter mile at 12.5 with me driving, 12.4 with my son driving it, so the C&D time was valid as a "best real performasnce I'll see number." That same was true for several other cars I've owned.

INTERESTING COMPARISON. In its April 2002 edition, pages 126-127, Car and Driver tested a Lingenfelter Magnusen-Supercharger C5 -- rated at 500 HP by Lingenfelter. It was the first magnusen kit C5 in the country and they tested it in the quarter mile in 11.7 @ 126 mph.

I was so impressed by that article I ordered a kit from Lingenfelter the next day and had the first owner-installed kit in the nation. Once sorted out, it did 11.7@125-128 for me, 11.6@129 once for my son. Again C&D had relevant test times for me.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ

Rhino by your own son

Just kidding! Nice times!

0-60=3.5 sec......

Rhino21149
    Rhino by your own son

Just kidding! Nice times!
    The Magnusen was a sweet setup. Very driveable every day. Lots of power and torque, and a wonderful SC scream at full tilt.

But I had to have more power. Sold the stock engine and the SC on e-bay. The vette now has a 427 C5R with D1SC, tuned for low end torque and driveability, and gives 595 RWHP. It does not have a roll cage so it only went to the track that one first time: did an 11.45 with a very easy launch and no drama, not really trying that hard. It can go a lot faster, but now that it is on record as sub 11.5--I'll need a roll cage to get back and I'm not putting one in as this is a street car.

On back roads, it will keep up with, but not beat, "my son's" 98 Camaro (he owns it, he drives it, I pay for the parts), which has a 408, and nitrous, and a roll cage, and does 10.7s.

XTrooper
    Quote Originally Posted by TGrits10
    Not necessarily.

Viper has the coupe coming out very soon, which will be lighter and a bit more powerful, so they could get the straight-line crown back. Plus it has more of a unique/rare/exotic thing going for it, and more of a raw, badass persona. People who buy Vipers aren't necessarily looking for a docile daily driver that happens to be wicked fast and easy to drive. The Viper excels at turning heads and generally being brutal and badass...which is cool and everything, as long as you have a comfy daily driver (which Viper guys do).

As for every other category...yeah Z06 owns, and for $10k less.
    There are still persistent rumors of a "Blue Devil" version of the C6 Z06 being released. That should take care of anything Dodge releases for the foreseeable future.

Rhino21149
    Yes, and word is that the term "Blue Devil" is used because the big kahuna at GM who would have to approve the car for production is a Duke U alum and fan.

Regardless, I'll personally be surprised if that makes it to production. It seems a bit extreme and I would expect the market to be very small -- and served well enough by the Lingenfelters and MTIs of the world. GM has never insisted on being the HP leader in the market -- infact for most of the last 40 years has let Chrysler have a slight edge in HP, but not overall quality.

And if GM really gets into a HP war it may not win: Chrysler has had some awesome show cars in the 600+ HP range, and the Viper does have the advantage of an 8-liter production block. If one company can go twin-turbo production, the other can, too.

I would expect a 525-550 HP version of the ZO6 a couple of years from now, not much else.

2000 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by TGrits10
    Not necessarily.

Viper has the coupe coming out very soon, which will be lighter and a bit more powerful, so they could get the straight-line crown back.
    We'll wait and see but the first test on the Viper coupe was less than expected, can't wait for a head to head

NBM
    98 Z

Quote Originally Posted by powermad
    We'll wait and see but the first test on the Viper coupe was less than expected, can't wait for a head to head
    yeah I don't trust magazine numbers unless they're head to head, and even then there's a slush factor due to their suckage. I'm convinced they tested it on a slippery surface with a crap driver, and it will do better when they put it up against the Z06. I don't mind if it's slightly faster in a straight line, as long as the vette remains dominant in the twisties.

blue
    05 Monaro

An awesome amount of performance for the money - any street car that can run mid 11's at 125 mph from the factory is one bad ass car, you've gotta love that.

Peter

Red
    2000 T/A WS6

I love the way GM whips the world's @$$... two valves per cylinder, pushrod operated, and 8 cylinders. The ZO6 is supposedly faster in straight-line acceleration than some $180,000 Ferrari that a buddy of mine told me about. And it gets 28 mpg. Let's see a Viper do that.

NBM
    98 Z

Quote Originally Posted by Ric
    I love the way GM whips the world's @$$... two valves per cylinder, pushrod operated, and 8 cylinders. The ZO6 is supposedly faster in straight-line acceleration than some $180,000 Ferrari that a buddy of mine told me about. And it gets 28 mpg. Let's see a Viper do that.
    Indeed. I have a couple of ///M3 driving friends (one of them just ordered a C6 to replace his aging '01 ///M3, victory is mine!) who would occasionally rag on my low-tech LS1. Which gave me the perfect opportunity to point out a few things:

Compared to the ///M3 motor, the LS1 makes more power and torque, gets better gas mileage, takes up less space in the engine bay, weighs less, costs less to buy, costs less to maintain, costs less to repair, costs less to upgrade, breaks less often, and offers much more power potential.

All of these undeniable facts. After a while they got sick of hearing it and stopped dissing the American pushrod method.

Torch Red
    99 Corvette Coupe

Sweet

Lingenfelter TT
    There is a guy on dragtimeslips.com that ran a 11.6! The slip is downloaded.

5.0snake
    my best friends grandfather who he lives with just bought one. Had some customizations dont to it with some chrome trim and should have it in about a month! Said I can drive it too!

Thread Information