C5 programmer

This is a discussion on C5 programmer within the Corvette forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; I have a 99 hardtop vette and and looking to get a power programmer for it. anybody have one they ...

1999 C5 Hardtop

C5 programmer

I have a 99 hardtop vette and and looking to get a power programmer for it. anybody have one they recommend? if you have one, what are the power expectations out of it? and lastly, are there varied programs to select from?

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by ss#2420; 02-09-2011 at 03:00 PM.

navy blue
    1999 corvette coupe

Hello, I have a 99 also that I used a DiabloSport Predator Tuner on. I did notice a difference with it, mostly used it to eliminate codes from no cats. If your an auto you should notice a difference in the shifting. I use HP tuners now because I have H/C/I and need to do a full tune. The handhelds are fun to play with

1999 C5 Hardtop

Noi have a hardtop (they only came in M6)... I have cats still, so im not throwing any codes. you went the expensive way of getting rid of the 02 sensor codes huh? lol Thanks for the help.

navy blue
    1999 corvette coupe

The hardtops only came in a M6? didn't know that. Your taking about the FRC correct. I know the Z06 was only a 6 speed and didn't come out until 2001. I needed to upgrade to a full tuner to tune my car after the engine was done. Plus needed to tune for a E-test pass

1999 C5 Hardtop

yeah, FRC. i thought i had said that, but guess not. the last time i had to worry about getting o2 sims or passing emissions was when I had my 2000 SS. I have had the vette since 99 and just want to keep this stock-ish (aside from intake and exhaust). so you like the Diablo tuner? I had a hypertech tuner on my SS but that thing was modded to holy hell!

navy blue
    1999 corvette coupe

I wish my was stock sometimes (like e-testing time) But i love the way it runs and drives now. I dynoed last summer at 420 to the wheels. Like to do gears this summer, maybe 390's or 410's.
    Before I bought this one I test drove a FRC, I liked it but my wife wanted a top that was removable. We very rarely take the top off!

1999 C5 Hardtop

i had 3.73 in my camaro and that thing pulled like a SOB. and still got pretty good mileage for a 430 hp car. lucky for me im a bachelor and i dont need input in vehicle purchases... lol

navy blue
    1999 corvette coupe

I drove down to Carlisle PA last year (8 hour drive) and averaged 32 MPG. better that a lot of economy cars out there. Now, getting my foot into it is a different story tho I have a brother-in-law that loves camaros, he has a 1998 V6, 2000 SS and a 2010 SS. He did have a 67 RS convertible with a 327 3-speed in it, he let a family member take it for a spin and wrote it off. I think i would have killed somebody.

1999 C5 Hardtop

yeah, people have a hard time believing that a C5 gets around 22 in the city and 26+ on the highway. I only have just over 40k on it so most of my driving is to the store and back. I would kill someone if owned a pinto and they wrecked it! let alone a classic RS f-body!

victory red
    2007 zo6

carefull guys ! with handheld tuners ? i owned at the time a 50th anniv. corvette /only 1,000 miles on her.. i tuned /guess, i went to lean ? vette picked up a miss at low speeds in less than a week, and did seem slower ? thats it !! right back to my very friendly gm dealer, upset ! here is what they found i melted at least two or maybe 3 spark plugs ? they installed all new stock plugs no/charge and put back to stock tune / could i have melted a piston ? whatever, vette ran best time ever !,at the drags , almost 2/3 tenths/ faster,if i could only get a good start/ without smoking the clutch !! rkvette

BLACK
    97 CORVETTE

Hi SS2420! Iam using EFI Live. You can do almost anything! HP is a good tuning tool also,You will need a Wide band for tuning,Little steps at a time.

1999 C5 Hardtop

thanks for the new input Jeff and Rkvette. Still haven't made my mind up yet!

Thread Information