Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: c-5 performance

Yellow
    2000 Corvette

c-5 performance

I have a Y2K 6 speed. I have added a Borla Cat back and K&N air intake. I figure I have increased HP by 30. The car should be around 375HP. I am looking for 400. What can I do to reach the 400 mark?

GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

Headers, intake, cam , and heads can help you all out, so you can achieve that mark!

white
    c5

375hp maybe at the crank, but not RWHP.

Yellow
    2000 Corvette

I agree. RWHP would be less. Based on what I have done so far, what would be the next mod you would do?

Liquid Red
    2009 Pontiac G8 GT

Quote Originally Posted by bmeszaros View Post
    I have a Y2K 6 speed. I have added a Borla Cat back and K&N air intake. I figure I have increased HP by 30. The car should be around 375HP. I am looking for 400. What can I do to reach the 400 mark?

Numbers are one thing, but how fast you get down the track is more important. Take to the track, and see where you stand. And modify accordingly

Personally if I had 400 RWHP that would be great, but if it was all power mods, and wasn't tires, SFC, etc. I wouldn't be maximizing my HP but not ulitilizing that power as productively as I could.

PS I am still relatively stock lol.. but I can dream

Yellow
    2000 Corvette

what kind of luck has anyone had with those computer programmers?

Lousy luck. Well it depends on how good you are with a laptop. Bottom line, the best way to get a tune is on a dyno. Only way to be sure.

GOT BOOST?
    02 Vette-Black 618 rwhp

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Lousy luck. Well it depends on how good you are with a laptop. Bottom line, the best way to get a tune is on a dyno. Only way to be sure.
    That is not all entirely true! I am sorry for your mis-fortune in tunning issues, but I know tunners that rarely put cars up on there dyno's, (cause of there laptop skills).

Youre telling me that plugging numbers into a laptop without any real time testing is going to merit the greatest results?

Those experiences are few....but far between.

Yellow
    2000 Corvette

Isn't the LS1 engine tuned and programmed from the factory to minumum HP and so called "held back" to prevent engine damage? Won't re-programming the on board computer release extra power already build into the LS1?

1966 Corvette Coupe

Isn't the LS1 engine tuned and programmed from the factory to minumum HP and so called "held back" to prevent engine damage? Won't re-programming the on board computer release extra power already build into the LS1?
    well yes as are most cars... problem with a hand heald tuner is what have you done to your car... and what has everyone else done to his car... and waht brand of parts did you use and did he use... and so forth...

when you have such a wide array of combos and you throw on a generic code you are either gonna do engine damage or your holding the car back... Very Very Very rarely would the the setting in the tune be the one that particular car needed...

Without getting a car on a dyno where it can be monitored and adjusted youll never get GREAT results... Results yes... but a hand held is gonna be tuned to no do engine damage... so it might get you 10 hp... and a good tuner could prolly get you 15-17hp...

Yes it more expensive (usually like $400), but you get dyno runs and print outs which is normally like $100... and you cna go back and have it retuned when you get new parts for like $75 and pull even more power... and hand held is like $300 if you want it retuned it will be a mail in type of thing still not built for your particular car and no dyno results...

get it dyno tuned...

-me

White/Silver
    1989 GTA 98 GTP coupe

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Youre telling me that plugging numbers into a laptop without any real time testing is going to merit the greatest results?

Those experiences are few....but far between.
    O RLY? Go talk to most of the "good" tuners out there and they'll tell you that unless you have a wild combo you don't "need" a dyno tune. Most dyno tunes on a bolt on car yield maybe an extra horse or two.
    -98 GTP Coupe. Silvermist and stock.

-89 GTA*** L98, P1-SC, 24# SVO's, MSD 6-A, March underdrive pulleys, Edelbrock headers/catback and some other goodies.

~Tony

1966 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty View Post
    O RLY? Go talk to most of the "good" tuners out there and they'll tell you that unless you have a wild combo you don't "need" a dyno tune. Most dyno tunes on a bolt on car yield maybe an extra horse or two.
    heres the thing about that... i completely agree that on a lightly modded car you arent going to see much over 3-10 hp over a blind tune... but its just and all around safer tune...

ask boys that drive cobras about generic tunes... if im not mistaken alot of them burn a hole in the #7 piston because of out of the box tunes...

-me

White/Silver
    1989 GTA 98 GTP coupe

You're comparing apples to oranges when you bring a Ford into the equation. Totally different motor compared to a LS1.

I had two tuners(one of them a bigger one that people probably have heard of) talk me out of a dyno tune saying it wasn't worth the extra $$ for a few extra horsepower. It's no safer or more dangerous on a bolt on car by getting a regular tune.

1966 Corvette Coupe

I dont see how a dyno tune isnt safer and I'm clearly not trying to justify the extra cost for a few horses... But is the extra cost even an issue... a dyno tune is like $400 (and like stated earlier you get a hp print out with it which is a $100ish vlaue)... Tuners are like $350... im not seeing where your blowing your cash to have it dyno tuned...

I dont know about ls1's specifically, but my buddys cobra was dyno tuned for around $400 and he got a programmer too (i guess you cant just flash the memory without a box in the fords I acaully dont know if you have to have a programmer for an ls1 or if you can just use a lap top) so he still has the ability to change gear ratios and what not without having to pay to have it retuned...

-me

White/Silver
    1989 GTA 98 GTP coupe

My tune cost me $175 where a dyno tune would've been $400.

Just curious, do you even know what they do to the programming on a regular stock/bolt on car?

1966 Corvette Coupe

air/fuel ratio and timing mainly...

-me

torchred
    99 FRC Vette

Check out my mods, and it was tuned on dyno.

Yellow
    2000 Corvette

is it worth the hastle to install a Z-06 intake??

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

is it worth the hastle to install a Z-06 intake??
    Most definately

You will pick up 12-15 RWHP generally. Above 5K RPMs is where you will really see the benefits.
    CCW SP 500s 18x10 275/35 18x11 295/35
    SLP CME with GMMG style catback
    Painted manta stripe

Quote Originally Posted by konigandy6 View Post
    I'd rather be bi than full homo!!!!

Thread Information