Pewter
    1999 Corvette Coupe

Box Stock 'vette

Hey Guys / Gals:

I'm new to thing thing so here goes.

After 40 years of waiting and dreamin' we finally got our 'vette. Box stock as I said in the title with only a Borla Stinger to make some sound. Sooo, what is the easiest way to make more power. My goal is to retain the DEPENDABILITY (don't want to strand the wife). Is it all about air flow? What is the most restrictive point to start with and then the next, etc. to "open up her lungs"?

Looking for advice.
    jackmac

Black SVT & Silver WS6
    2003 SVT Cobra & 2002 WS6

1st you have to ask your self just how much HP you want and how much money you want to devote to the project. I mean, you could do some nit picky stuff. Mass Air Meter, throttle body, K&N, long tubes for around 3 or 4 grand. (I think.. I don’t drive a vett) or if you have some money and want a substantial gain go with some head’s and cam’s (and of course all the things listed above)… I don’t know much about them (head’s and cam’s so im not gonna say any more about them.. you might say that head’s and cam’s aren’t to ‘DEPENDABIL’ but you could go with a ‘srteet strip’ setup as they call it.. but you might just want to look around on the site and go from there…
    No replacement for displacement.

Click for full size

Blk/blk
    2007 Z06

How bout you tell us a little about your Vette first?

NBM
    2000 Vette

Since you mentioned you don't want to strand your wife in it, going to assume you don't want to make major changes.

So one of the cheaper options and will get you another 20-25HP, would be to change out the intake. Get more air in with the Vararam, Halltech or Vortex from $400-250 depending on which one you go with.

TJ

02 Mag Red
    I have Vararam and worth the money , even get the velocity stack they sell . These mods with stock a-4 I ran 12.9 at the track . Forget the MAF and throttle body , way to much money and probably on gains . My next step is the Dyna tech super maxx exhaust ( rpmoutlet.com/newc5.htm ) I have recently install a Edge 3000 stall converter and that was the biggest improvement yet , 1/2 second at the track . I am running 12.5 for about 1200 bucks . A Programmer does very litttle for top performance , it will be worth about a tenth at the track , not noticeable on the street .Keep us posted on how you are doing . Thanks

Pewter
    1999 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Corona-Extra
    1st you have to ask your self just how much HP you want and how much money you want to devote to the project. I mean, you could do some nit picky stuff. Mass Air Meter, throttle body, K&N, long tubes for around 3 or 4 grand. (I think.. I don’t drive a vett) or if you have some money and want a substantial gain go with some head’s and cam’s (and of course all the things listed above)… I don’t know much about them (head’s and cam’s so im not gonna say any more about them.. you might say that head’s and cam’s aren’t to ‘DEPENDABIL’ but you could go with a ‘srteet strip’ setup as they call it.. but you might just want to look around on the site and go from there…
    Corona-extra:

Thanks for the input. I think I will start on the low cost end of the scale and tackle the air-box replacement.

jackmac

Pewter
    1999 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Z06Modder
    How bout you tell us a little about your Vette first?
    ZO6Modder:

Found her on a local lot here in Pittsburgh, PA. She started in Florida and lived there for 3 years. Only 40K on a '99; sweet little ride that I call my Fat Bottom Girl! As I said, I added a Borla Stinger cat-back for the sound. That is the only change from stock.

Go Steelers!
    jackmac

Pewter
    1999 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Band1t
    Since you mentioned you don't want to strand your wife in it, going to assume you don't want to make major changes.

So one of the cheaper options and will get you another 20-25HP, would be to change out the intake. Get more air in with the Vararam, Halltech or Vortex from $400-250 depending on which one you go with.

TJ
    Band1t:

I agree.....start with the air box and go from there.

jackmac

Pewter
    1999 Corvette Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by 02 Mag Red
    I have Vararam and worth the money , even get the velocity stack they sell . These mods with stock a-4 I ran 12.9 at the track . Forget the MAF and throttle body , way to much money and probably on gains . My next step is the Dyna tech super maxx exhaust ( rpmoutlet.com/newc5.htm ) I have recently install a Edge 3000 stall converter and that was the biggest improvement yet , 1/2 second at the track . I am running 12.5 for about 1200 bucks . A Programmer does very litttle for top performance , it will be worth about a tenth at the track , not noticeable on the street .Keep us posted on how you are doing . Thanks
    02 Mag Red:

Thanks for the help. Will take this one step at a time. Air box first then go to the next most economical upgrade.

thanks,
    jackmac

Thread Information