Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Billy Boatin' a C6

A friend recently bought a 2005 C6 and after a month or so of ownership, decided some mods were in order. He installed a MGW shifter last night and ran the wiring for the exhaust cutout controller. The Billy Boats are a slick setup -- the exhaust is normally routed through the two outermost tips. Hit a switch on a wireless remote and a flapper opens up the inner two giving the exhaust a straight through shot. The flappers are vacuum controlled and need a vacuum source from the engine that is tapped into an existing sensor location with a "T". The controller is located in the small underfloor compartment in the back right corner, so two lines are run into it from beneath the car.

We started by getting the car in the air using a set of homemade lift blocks -- ie. hockey pucks with eyebolts, that fit into the bottom of the vehicle. The instructions called for dropping the sway bar brackets from the cradle and then pulling the stock mufflers. It was pretty tight, so we ended up also dropping the mid-pipe.

With the stock system down, we lowered the car and he hooked up the vacuum feed line. This runs down the fuel rail, over the bellhousing and into the tunnel to the back of the car. The holes were drilled in the compartment and the hoses pushed through. He had to drill a step or two larger than the instructions called for to get the lines through before hanging the new mufflers. The vacuum assembly is visible on top of the tips.

With everything buttoned up and wiring hooked into the passenger side panel he backed the car out for its trial run with the new exhaust. Sounds a whole lot better than stock and works perfectly. Last one is a short vid of the cutouts in operation.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Very nice Jeff.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Very nice Jeff.

Thanks Rich! It is fun working on other people's cars and having them hang out in the garage. Most of my projects are solo endeavors.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Yup. That adds to the "FUN" factor.

victory red
    2007 zo6

sounds great !! can see and hear center ones, open/ working..are you guys from near scranton,pa.. are you/him member northeastern corvette club ? rkvette

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by rkvette View Post
    sounds great !! can see and hear center ones, open/ working..are you guys from near scranton,pa.. are you/him member northeastern corvette club ? rkvette

Around 100 miles west of Scranton. I do not believe he belongs to any Corvette clubs.

Victory Red
    2005 Corvette

First, I want to thank Jeff for his help and the use of his shop, lift and tools. All of which made the exhaust swap a joy instead of a royal PITA, which is my usual experience when lying on my back doing exhaust work while dirt and rust falls into my face and eyes. Kind of like plumbing.

By way of full disclosure, however, we installed a NPP exhaust off of an '08 C6, which I think was the first year that option was available. It is a stock Chevy part, so I'm legal even in Virginia. A friend of ours has an '05 C6 coupe with the Billy Boat Fusion, which is very similar to the Chevy NPP, and probably just a little bit louder. It also lists for a little more than twice what I paid for the lightly used NPP mufflers. Installation of the Fusion would be the same as the work we did.

Thanks again, Jeff.

Bill

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

I stand corrected. Either way it is a pretty cool setup!

Black
    2003 Z06 Corvette

Billy Boatin' a C6

I run B&B's and love'em

Good Luck with the car

Thread Information