Silver/Pewter
    2000 C5 Corvette 6psd

Best Street/Strip Clutch for C5

Ok, so it looks like my car is going to need a bunch of clutch work. The pedal sinks to the floor, so I took it in to the raceshop and they told me that its most likely a bad Slave cylinder/throw out bearing, which I have been told is a combo part in this car and will require lots of labor to fix. (UGH!!) I figure now is as good a time as any to upgrade my stock clutch as well, seeing that my car almost has 50K miles on a stock clutch and will be getting performance upgrades very soon.

On to clutches for the car:
    I'm weighing very heavily right now on getting my stock flywheel resurfaced (around $50 bucks + or so), keeping the stock iron flywheel and then adding a spec stage 3 clutch. This clutch is good to around 695rhwp if im not mistaken and is probably the best combo you can get for both drag racing and streetability. Plus just the clutch and pressure plate (i will re-use my old flywheel i guess) run about $450 bucks. Any thoughts??
    Thanks and happy thanksgiving.

primer
    93 GEO *limited edition*

Quote Originally Posted by AntsSilverC5 View Post
    Ok, so it looks like my car is going to need a bunch of clutch work. The pedal sinks to the floor, so I took it in to the raceshop and they told me that its most likely a bad Slave cylinder/throw out bearing, which I have been told is a combo part in this car and will require lots of labor to fix. (UGH!!) I figure now is as good a time as any to upgrade my stock clutch as well, seeing that my car almost has 50K miles on a stock clutch and will be getting performance upgrades very soon..
    The slave/TOB is a combo part and you will have to remove the trans & TT to replace them. My suggestion before you do that would be try changing your clutch fluid, bleeding the slave. There are several posts on CF talking about this. Its very inexpensive, easy to do and could save you a lot of $$$ in labor.

Quote Originally Posted by AntsSilverC5 View Post
    On to clutches for the car:
    I'm weighing very heavily right now on getting my stock flywheel resurfaced (around $50 bucks + or so), keeping the stock iron flywheel and then adding a spec stage 3 clutch. This clutch is good to around 695rhwp if im not mistaken and is probably the best combo you can get for both drag racing and streetability. Plus just the clutch and pressure plate (i will re-use my old flywheel i guess) run about $450 bucks. Any thoughts??
    Thanks and happy thanksgiving.
    I've never used Spec personally because of all the bad press I've read about them. I run a McLeod twin in my car and love it. Its pricey but sometimes you get what you pay for.

Nik

red
    2001 corvette

[QUOTE=AntsSilverC5;1140101]Ok, so it looks like my car is going to need a bunch of clutch work. The pedal sinks to the floor, so I took it in to the raceshop and they told me that its most likely a bad Slave cylinder/throw out bearing, which I have been told is a combo part in this car and will require lots of labor to fix. (UGH!!) I figure now is as good a time as any to upgrade my stock clutch as well, seeing that my car almost has 50K miles on a stock clutch and will be getting performance upgrades very soon.

50K?! My stock clutch has over 100K and I just started to get it to slip with burnouts and such. so 50 seems low the stocker should last longer with a good operator that is. so I agree If you can wait longer Id change the fluid and bleed it. also there have been 2 people who used my clutch to learn how to drive standard. I havent heard about the cons to spec but now that he mentioned it I will look into it because I was looking at a 3+. I dont know what spec's warranty is either so...? But I bought the fidanza flywheel I figured why not got it for 250 and its only 12.5 lbs which would make the engine rev crazy faster.

Thread Information