Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Is this 700hp vette worth it

This is a discussion on Is this 700hp vette worth it within the Corvette forums, part of the Vehicle Specific category; Originally Posted by screaminbird ok so im looking to buy a new car and i got pre approved for 25k ...

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by screaminbird View Post
    ok so im looking to buy a new car and i got pre approved for 25k and i have alot saved up is this worth it and is this too much for a 19year old

http://chicago.craigslist.org/sox/ctd/877227187.html
    Wow nice car, i beat on mine all the time and i know its expensive to fix whats gone wrong with mine and ive done most of it myself. But hey if you can afford fixing it, the over 5k itll be every 6 months for full coverage and the SERIOUS repair bill that will come with if something goes wrong, oh as well as half your gas tank vaporizing if you put your foot down. Then sure, i say go for it.

Oh yeah and if you intend on taking out a loan, remember, if you total it you still have to finish paying it off

Jetstream Blue Metallic
    2008 Z06 Corvette

Let me be honest with you..it is incredibly difficult to keep from speeding even with my lil ol Z06. I have one of those jobs where I drive a Company truck, and they keep close tabs on our driving records, so even if I get speeding tickets driving the Z06 on my own time, it can cost me my job. My point is this; that car can, and would be two things.
    1.) A lot of fun, and VERY challenging to drive. [could cost you your license too]
    2.) Probably too much for a 19 year old. (I know you didn't want to hear that)
    Okay 3 things
    3.) VERY EXPENSIVE when NOT if but WHEN it breaks, because ALL heavily modded cars break! Just watch "Pinks" and see how many times those cars make it down the track in a row before something goes wrong. And you tell me if you don't think that those guys do everything they can to prevent something from going wrong before going on TV, and there's always an army of guys on each Team.
    Please don't tell me you're not going to beat that car at 19, and if you begin to tell me that, then why buy a modded car like that in the first place?

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

its not a 480, if you read towards the bottom it says 408, just a typo

Black
    2000 trans am

i donno about a turbo setup, but a vortech supercharger with the intercooler for an LSX is aroud $8k. That doesnt include any other mods to keep other shit from breaking

Trans Am owner
    former

open the wastegate all the way, so you make no boost, and put a throttle stop on it after that......then you can handle it.....that car's badass.

hell of a deal. a bone sock vette with that year/milage would be only a little cheaper, or even the same price. you could turn around and seel that car for easy $15,000 profit I bet

10's N/A

The only question I have for you is can you afford it? If so, i'd say hands down go for it!!! It's a bad ass car and will make most drool, not to mention you will dominate majority of the competition and have plenty of room for more power. As far as age is concerned, i've seen more instances of a person over 25 years of age total a fast car than I have someone under, so as long as you can respect the car age has nothing to due with this discussion.

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

I say your an idiot if you buy that car. no offense..

1. Your 19....

2. It's basically an 8 year old car with absolutely no warranty so you'll be paying out of pocket for anything that goes wrong with it as well as normal maintenance on a sports car.

3. You're talking about taking out a loan .. lol a $25,000 loan to buy a used car ...which is one of the worst financial investments you could possibly do..your interest rate on a used car will be even higher than on a new car.

4. No offense but I doubt your mature enough at 19 to handle the power of that car or the responsibility that comes along with it.

What I would do?

Take that credit, put it down on something you'll get a full warranty on nowdays..lifetime on some cars.. theres plenty of fast cars out there .. maybe not a vette but if the shoes don't fit .. you must forget haha in other words you have to walk before you run..
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/illcul8troffcr/My%20SS/signaturew.jpg
    2002 Camaro SS #1539
    MTI Clear AirLid /Magnaflow catback/Polished Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace/K&N Filter/Bilstein Suspension/
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/553601
    http://www.fquick.com/illcul8troffcr

White/Gold
    99 T/A sold/67 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by illcul8troffcr View Post
    I say your an idiot if you buy that car. no offense..

1. Your 19....

2. It's basically an 8 year old car with absolutely no warranty so you'll be paying out of pocket for anything that goes wrong with it as well as normal maintenance on a sports car.

3. You're talking about taking out a loan .. lol a $25,000 loan to buy a used car ...which is one of the worst financial investments you could possibly do..your interest rate on a used car will be even higher than on a new car.

4. No offense but I doubt your mature enough at 19 to handle the power of that car or the responsibility that comes along with it.

What I would do?

Take that credit, put it down on something you'll get a full warranty on nowdays..lifetime on some cars.. theres plenty of fast cars out there .. maybe not a vette but if the shoes don't fit .. you must forget haha in other words you have to walk before you run..

well thats your opinion but i can drive ive driven a ten second car down the track before along with a 9.5 second bike age has absolutely no bearing on how well you can drive. just my 2cents

Ignition Orange/Black
    2008 G8 GT, 98 Z28 383

well thats your opinion but i can drive ive driven a ten second car down the track before along with a 9.5 second bike age has absolutely no bearing on how well you can drive. just my 2cents
    I thought I could drive at 19 too. I had a 30th Anniversary camaro Z-28 with about 325 WHP at that age and I was lucky I did not crash it the way I drove it. You will be tempted to get into it wherever you go.

10's N/A

I say don't listen to the haters that cars probably don't make half of what that vette is making right now. It's a vette so your going to get more negative feedback. It's going to be costly no matter what, considering the value of the car and the extensive modifications it has. After all that is one stout combo on a fascinating car. So what if it's close to 8 years old. The last fourth gen F-body was produced 6 years ago. I don't think everyone realizes that. Once again, go for it.

FUGLY CBR1000RR rider.com

Black n Black
    04 Dodge Ram 07 CBR1000RR

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    I say don't listen to the haters that cars probably don't make half of what that vette is making right now. It's a vette so your going to get more negative feedback. It's going to be costly no matter what, considering the value of the car and the extensive modifications it has. After all that is one stout combo on a fascinating car. So what if it's close to 8 years old. The last fourth gen F-body was produced 6 years ago. I don't think everyone realizes that. Once again, go for it.
    Your being an idiot. Telling a 19yo that it's ok to take a 25k loan out on a 700hp sports car with no warranty, and I'm pretty sure this is going to be his DD. Your being simple minded and you should look at the bigger picture

And let's not forget. Racing a 1/4 mile is not the same as driving and messing around on the street. Take that car around a turn and punch it and see wtf happens.

It's not being a hater either. Would I love to have that car, hell yeah. But even having a truck, a car, and a liter bike. That car still would make no sense in me having. And just because I'd like to have it and can't right now, I would not tell someone that could and be financially stable afterwards not to get it. I'd be like hell yeah. I was 19 a few years back, and a lot of stuff has changed that I wasn't expecting, and the same will happen to him.

Black n Black

Oh, and not to mention I'm in the military and have one of the most stable jobs there is... Still, makes no sense. Especially with this economy right now.
    Last edited by zggill04; 10-15-2008 at 04:53 PM.

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Driving on a isolated 1/4 mile stretch of road that has no traffic or uncertainties that driving on roadways comes with doesn't even compare. Again it's kind of ignorant to say something like that. Just goes to show the mentality of the driver. I've been driving for 15 years. Driven across country coast to coast 4 times. Not once have I been in any accident by any error on my part.I've had sports cars all of my time driving. I've seen some of the most horrible accidents you could probably see. I've seen people literally die. There's no comparison. At 19 there's no way he is skilled or experienced enough to be driving something like that.. let alone all of the financial obligations and insurance and everything else.. It's a waste of money and thought .. think logically and get the most for your money.. your a fool if you buy that car for more reasons than one

RED
    2001 m6 CAMARO SS-SLP

keep your t/a
    2001 camaro ss m6 slp options
    slp loud mouth - k&n filter-SLP LID

WE have to fight off a new breed of ricers

10's N/A

I found much of what you said to be somewhat irrelevant, so I just highlighted the important stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by zggill04 View Post
    Take that car around a turn and punch it and see wtf happens.
    Why would you take a car with 700hp around a turn and punch it? Sounds like something you would do at 22 more so than this guy at 19.

Would I love to have that car, hell yeah
    I bet you would, wouldn't you. But the fact that you can't may play an important role in this here discussion.

But even having a truck, a car, and a liter bike....
    That's nice. I own 2 F-bodies, a 2006 CLK500...oh, and a house myself.

I was 19 a few years back, and a lot of stuff has changed that I wasn't expecting, and the same will happen to him
    I understand your a little older now, but not that much has changed in just a few years my friend.

Black n Black

Quote Originally Posted by N20LT4 View Post
    I found much of what you said to be somewhat irrelevant, so I just highlighted the important stuff...

Why would you take a car with 700hp around a turn and punch it? Sounds like something you would do at 22 more so than this guy at 19.

I bet you would, wouldn't you. But the fact that you can't may play an important role in this here discussion.

That's nice. I own 2 F-bodies, a 2006 CLK500...oh, and a house myself.

I understand your a little older now, but not that much has changed in just a few years my friend.
    To get back to you...
    1) Have you gotten out lately... like ever? What would posses a 22 yr old that wouldn't posses a 19 yr old to turn that corner and showboat for some girl, or for some other car. Ridiculous statement on your part. I was a much worse driver at 19, as were many of us.
    2)It's not so much the fact that I CAN'T, it's the fact that I WON'T. If I wanted it, I could have the keys tomorrow. And it doesn't play a bit into any of my comments that I won't have it tomorrow.
    3)You get a cookie just like myself. My fact for saying the VEHICLES I own, is to make it known that even having a vehicle I can drive as a DD or if something happened to the Vette, I STILL wouldn't get it. And this will be his DD, so he DOESN'T have a vehicle he can fall back on. NOR the money to fix it WHEN something breaks on it as seeing that he is taking out the full cost of the car in a LOAN.
    4)Trust me, alot has changed. But I guess you know so much about me that you would know what has and hasn't changed in my life right?

10's N/A

To get back to you...
    1) Have you gotten out lately... like ever? What would posses a 22 yr old that wouldn't posses a 19 yr old to turn that corner and showboat for some girl, or for some other car. Ridiculous statement on your part. I was a much worse driver at 19, as were many of us.
    2)It's not so much the fact that I CAN'T, it's the fact that I WON'T. If I wanted it, I could have the keys tomorrow. And it doesn't play a bit into any of my comments that I won't have it tomorrow.
    3)You get a cookie just like myself. My fact for saying the VEHICLES I own, is to make it known that even having a vehicle I can drive as a DD or if something happened to the Vette, I STILL wouldn't get it. And this will be his DD, so he DOESN'T have a vehicle he can fall back on. NOR the money to fix it WHEN something breaks on it as seeing that he is taking out the full cost of the car in a LOAN.
    4)Trust me, alot has changed. But I guess you know so much about me that you would know what has and hasn't changed in my life right?
    What are you talking about? What exactly is your point? Get back at me in a few years or so when you have matured a bit, other than that this is a waste of time for me. Good day

Oh yeah, and to the O.P., I still say snatch that 'vette!

Black n Black

OP, one person vs many, take your pick. Out of so many people do you think we're all wrong? You think about it. Make your choice.

And the one that posted above me, your obviously the one that needs to grow up, and act your age.

torch red
    99 c5

to screaming bird

hey man i owned my first c5 at 17 years old. i started to mod the car right after i got it.

i say if you want the car get the car... do it right the first time. it is going to cost you more than 8,000 to add a power adder to your car. its not just the cost of the power adder.. you have to take into consideration everything else that you are going to have to do.

that car looks and appears to be built correctly. take it to a reputable tuner before you purchase it. see if they can do some checks to it.

too much power for the age? na. there is no such thing. i'm now 26. but i am still as qualified of a driver that i was when i was 19. i now drive a 500hp turbo hayabusa. so??? i still have my c5 i'm sitting at close to 500whp without my 250 shot of spray.. have not needed to use it yet.. but you know.

when i was 17 my vette had all of the bolt ons plus a 125 shot of nitrous i was pushing over 470whp and i handled it just fine on the streets.

p.s don't listen to them about insurance claims. go to state farm, they have specialty vehicle insurance. take lots of pictures, and get some receipts if the seller has any, you can insure that vehiclie up to 40,000 i bet, my motorcycle i have insured for up to 30,000 . p.s the insurance rate will be the same as a regular c5 or zo6- for me at 21 it was under 100 bucks a month but that was since i had homeowners and multi vehilce under them. so that might have made a differnce.

sorry about the rambling i just feel that

IF YOUR GONNA DO SOMETHING.... DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, you might not ever get a chance of owning a car like that again

torch red
    99 c5

in my own opinion. the 700 hp corvette is probably safer than a liter bike any day

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information