Thread: 1993 Skip-shift

Aqua
    1993 Corvette

1993 Skip-shift

Elected to get one of the fancy skip shift eliminators with the sockets, not just the resistor.

Raised the car, crawled under and, following the diagram supplied, unhooked the connector from the left side of the trans, near the top about a foot in front of the stick. Plugged the wire from the harness into the skip shift eliminator and put the other plug into the thingy sticking out of the tranny.

Alls well, it seems for a bit, but, I still can't get a 1 - 2 shift under certain conditions, while the idiot lamp is illuminated in the dash.

Is the 1993 ZF transmission somehow different than the rest ? Is it smarter than the others , that it learned what I was up to and wants to fart around with me ?

I'm content often to just pull it out of first into neutral and coast when doing parking lots, etc. and with the stock config, that meant the dang gears would often grind, just going from 1 to neutral. The skip shift eliminator I installed lets me go from 1 to neutral without a gear grind, but it still wants me to go to 4th.

Am I wacked ? or is that year trans somehow different from others ?

thanks for entertaining my frustration ....

Every day is a gift-enjoy preston1980's Avatar

Torch Red
    1999 Corvette Hardtop

Quote Originally Posted by quaff View Post
    Elected to get one of the fancy skip shift eliminators with the sockets, not just the resistor.

Raised the car, crawled under and, following the diagram supplied, unhooked the connector from the left side of the trans, near the top about a foot in front of the stick. Plugged the wire from the harness into the skip shift eliminator and put the other plug into the thingy sticking out of the tranny.

Alls well, it seems for a bit, but, I still can't get a 1 - 2 shift under certain conditions, while the idiot lamp is illuminated in the dash.

Is the 1993 ZF transmission somehow different than the rest ? Is it smarter than the others , that it learned what I was up to and wants to fart around with me ?

I'm content often to just pull it out of first into neutral and coast when doing parking lots, etc. and with the stock config, that meant the dang gears would often grind, just going from 1 to neutral. The skip shift eliminator I installed lets me go from 1 to neutral without a gear grind, but it still wants me to go to 4th.

Am I wacked ? or is that year trans somehow different from others ?

thanks for entertaining my frustration ....
    Check and see if your reverse lights are working, it sounds like you unhooked the wrong plug on the tranny, I did the same thing in my old Trans Am, the plugs are very similar and very close together on the tranny. The reverse light plug fits perfect into the skip shift eliminators.
    There is even one other plug to confuse you to, not sure what it does.

Thread Information