whitelightning

02 Z06 Tranny rattle

I'm thinking of buying an 02 Z06 from a local dealer. Its a nice car, 24.5K, still pulls strong. The thing is that it shows some seeming signs of abuse. All 4 rims have curb scuffing (one almoast 180 degrees), all 4 tires are on the wear bars at 24.5K (probably normal), but the big thing is that when you turn the car off you can hear the transmission/trans axle rattle and seem to jump around some. The motor is not dieseling and the noise is obviously not their when I push the clutch in and turn it off. The clutch grabbs about midway and fulluy engages just before the top.

Any opinions from the experts here would be greatly appreciated!

White 01 SS

murdered out 06 z06

mine does that when you turn it off also, and i get a little rattle at idle
    i have a 02 z06 with 6400 miles on it, i bought it with 4500 i dont think mine has been abused maybe its just a corvette thing i dont no

black
    97 6-speed corvette

Mines not a ZO6 but it is a six speed and it has rattled like that since new.

At idle sometimes and sometimes when I shut it off.

Was told that it was normal...

white
    1989 turbo trans am anniv

My 1999 C5 FRC and my brother's 04 Zo6 both made/makes a rattle when you shut off the car without the clutch depressed. I was told it is the way the transmission is mounted as compared to those in the F bodies. By the way, my brother's Zo6 was purchased new.

----
    2004 Evolution
    1997 Viper GTS B/W
    1989 Anniv. Turbo Trans Am hardtop

whitelightning

Thanks!

Thanx everone for your information. Sounds like the rattling is normal and I now feel more comfortable about buying the car!

Whitelightning

anniversary red
    2003 corvette

mine has done that from the day i drove it off the lot with 0 miles on it. i have been told that it is normal on a six speed, but havent been told what the noise is.
    does anyone know what the rattle is when you shut the car off coming out from under wher the trans is??

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

my friend who an 03 and 04 zo6, both his cars did that. i think he told me its something to do with the way the preload is exerted on a c5 throw out bearing and the mounting of the transaxle. your clutch could be on its way out too. does it slip? does it pull clean all the way through the rpm range? id ask the dealer for new wheels depending on what kinda deal your getting cause the wheels are expensive i am sure. same with the tires. i do used cars at my dealer and normally that sort of thing is acknowledged by me when i service the cars and the sales department oks the repair or says no depending on how much they own it for. u know so they dont have to basically eat it on a sale. but definitely ask for new wheels and tires if your gonna buy it. cant hurt. try and drive another z06 with a known good clutch. although the way u describe it, it sounds about right.

Thread Information