Blazen Orange Metallic
    2006 GTO

Z28 Randomly shuts down...

Hello all. Got myself a 98 Z28 with about 19,3xx miles.

Twice in the last two days the engine shut down while the car was moving at slow speed.

When this happens a "check gauges" light shows. The car will crank right back up without a problem.

The first time this happened it was while I was going up a slight incline into a parking lot. The second time was while I was coming out of a slight incline of someone's driveway.

Upon checking the gauges I noticed the oil pressure is below the "40" mark. The car is too hot to deal with and I don't have a funnel right this second but I'm wondering if this can be caused by not having enough oil.

*edit* Also, it's normal for the fan to continue cooling the car even after the car is off, correct?
    Last edited by Kamauxx; 08-12-2007 at 01:29 PM. Reason: Another question

Sure you're not overheating? Not sure on the '98 but my helms says the fans continuing to run after the key is off for a few minutes means the PCM is seeing an overheat condition - if I remember correctly they stay on if it's above 284*. '98's were blessed with actual working temp gauges. Is the "low coolant" light coming on? Check the oil too just to be safe.

Blazen Orange Metallic
    2006 GTO

Would overheating cause the car to do this? The temp. gauge is usually below 180* and the car has a 160* stat. There was no low coolant light.

I put a quart of oil in it and it barely broke the "40" mark. I'm going to get the oil changed in the next few days anyway.

Any idea?

white
    2002 z28

that aint gooddd

Blazen Orange Metallic
    2006 GTO

Any help?

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

If you just bought it i'd take it back to the dealer ansd see what they say. A 9 year old car with 19k miles is either a great buy that has been babied...if you can get it for a decent price or it's a nightmare that's been wrecked or whatever.

Go to autozone and use their scanner to see if you have any stored codes, you never know with a used car...the check engine bulb could be removed if it's not on. Also it'll show past codes that ave been stord for awhile.

You don't need a funnel to add oil just take your time when pouring....pull the dipstick on level ground and see where it's at.

You should data log or use a temp gun to see what your actual temps are when warm. Your fans shouldn't be on when you shut the car off...and if the fans are on all the time there's also a prob. If your cooling system is working properly the high speed fan (the only one you can hear when it's running) shouldn't come on much unless you have the A/C on...the low speed fan should cycle on and off too.

Blazen Orange Metallic
    2006 GTO

Well, can't take the car back...bought it from a private seller in Cleveland.

I'll try to get it to AutoZone today. Will this machine tell me what the current problem is or will it just state what problems the car had in the past?

Are the problems I listed somethings that can be caused by the oil pressure being too low?
    Last edited by Kamauxx; 08-13-2007 at 03:57 AM.

white
    2002 z28

current pronlems i think on a scan

Blazen Orange Metallic
    2006 GTO

Got the car to Auto Zone. Nothing came up on the check. The guy took a look at it an noticed a "loose tentioner".

No clue what that is but he showed me the part and it was definately shaking around. He said the tentioner shouldn't move at all. He said the stalling could come from the power steering interfering with the tentioner when I turn the wheel as far as it goes.

Any opinions on this theory?

Run what you brung

Black
    2002 Transam

Quote Originally Posted by Kamauxx View Post
    Got the car to Auto Zone. Nothing came up on the check. The guy took a look at it an noticed a "loose tentioner".

No clue what that is but he showed me the part and it was definately shaking around. He said the tentioner shouldn't move at all. He said the stalling could come from the power steering interfering with the tentioner when I turn the wheel as far as it goes.

Any opinions on this theory?
    tell he kid at autozone to go back to school. Belt tensioners are meant to move. they are actuated by a spring that produces tension on the belt itself to make it tight under normal running conditions and at wide open throttle will be steady at a certain spot. they do move on occasion through each revolution of the motor and is ok. if it was too loose your belt would be slipping off the tensioner or another pulley somewhere and would be squeeling.

This would not cause your car to die at all.

you said the car was on an incline, what was the fuel level at?

Blazen Orange Metallic
    2006 GTO

I rarely every let the car get too far below a half tank.

Thread Information