Black
    94 Z28

z28 camaro makes popping sound

So i got the air check valves and the car turned on and looked at the moter when i saw sparks comming out of the top spark plug wire the one ontop of moter so i fixed that and now car makes a popping sound every 3 or so seconds what coyld cause this coyld it be a spark plug is not hooked up right since i did put new wires and plugs into it?

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Sparks coming from the TOP of the plug wire? That's arcing. Based on the description, it sounds like you may have defective wires, they are loose or you have the wires crossed somewhere.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Need more info. Sparks ? Popping ? How did you fix the problem ?
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Any codes being set? Sounds like a misfire.

Black
    94 Z28

Today set out to work on the car again and thought it would be a foulty coil since it was in bad shape got a new one nothing the car still made that sound all plugs seem to be on right i noticed the car starts pops the stops the backfire and then starts again after 5 or so seconds oh and i dont have the y pipe just yet but dont think its bec it not connected to the exhust and i tried getting the codes since its an obd1 had to use a small wire did so but light never blinks also did a bypass on my VATS doubt thats related what else could cause this oh when the car was running for a bit i noticed headers were smoking brob bec i painted them and they were burning off paint and oil build up but as that was going on the side was kinda pushing air out a small wave of air was coming out it was consistant could this also cause this load popping backfires?

Black
    94 Z28

Oh and i fixed it simply connecting it right it was loose

Black
    94 Z28

Forgot to mention this but car has not catalitic converter never did just went to exhust pip at the moment i dont have the y pipe and one o2 sensor from passangers side is hanging bec i need an extention in order for it to plug into the long tube header which r also new

Black
    94 Z28

And when car turns temo goes off the roof like 250 and thats really fast for the first 2 min has radiator fluid and the thermostat is new bec i checked and previous owner changed it

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Okay. First, get that O2 sensor extension and connect the sensor. Once you get that out of the way, and with the engine cool, take off the radiator cap and let the car run for a few minutes as I suspect there is air in the cooling system.

If the exhaust system is apart, connect EVERYTHING. You really can't run an engine with just headers. That will cause issues.

Black
    94 Z28

Ok i will get the o2 extention connected today and have to order a y pipe in order to connect to exhaust hope it can get here this week

Thread Information