Red
    1999 Pontiac Trans-Am

wtf happened to my window.

I went to go check on my car where i have it stored until spring and when I closed my driver side door the window went totally wobbly, it seems it has come lose from the track or something, it still rolls up and down when I hit the power window button, but I have to hold it strait so it goes up correctly. I guess my question is, does anyone know of anything that breaks in there commonly or maybe if they just fall off the track? Pretty bazaar and annoying thing to happen right before I get here back on the road - Thanks

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Here you go.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f6/wobbly-window-fix-155911/

In the first post I show what has broken in the first pic. The window regulator has 2 of these post that slide up and down the tracks.

You have 3 options to fix.

1) New replacement - good luck, finding one is expensive ($180 last time I checked)

2) Used - I got one from a junk yard but depending on how abused it was you could be back in this position later.

3) Attempt to weld fix - In the thread I did weld the piece back on. 2 things to note, it lasted almost a yr but it did break again. This time the front piece broke, I couldn't get access to it with it in the door, so I decided to go ahead and find a replacement) The 2nd thing is if you attempt to weld you need to be careful. Unless you remove it from the door and separate it from the window the high heat from the welder will crack the window if you go to long on the weld. Also the wheel is plastic, it will melt from the heat from the weld. Replacement wheels are almost impossible to find.

Now why does it fail.....because it is pressed riveted on. They used to be a embedded bolt with a nut.

Red
    1999 Pontiac Trans-Am

Ohh man, looks like im gonna have my work cut out for me this spring, on top of this window fix I also gotta do the vats bypass fix. ugh I love love love my t/a but it seems like its always something lol thanks for the info man.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Our cars are attention whores. Very jealous and can be spiteful too!! At least my TA fells that way.

Thread Information