Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

WTF, on Gas Mileage

This is a discussion on WTF, on Gas Mileage within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; If you run Top Tier gas you shouldn't need Seafoam anyway....

white
    2001 Trams Am

If you run Top Tier gas you shouldn't need Seafoam anyway.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    If you run Top Tier gas you shouldn't need Seafoam anyway.
    Some food for thought.

Been testing Oil

white
    2001 Trams Am

Hmm.

I used to run the Lucas UCL but quit because all it did was cost me money.

Might have to try that, I've seen it at Wal Mart.

Black
    2000 Z-28

My mileage is in the toilet also but I did just get a stall and gears so I'm sure that's a big part of it.

Black
    98 T/A

I mis-spoke..Now I run a bottle of Seafoam every 4000-5000 miles. I used it every 6 weeks when, and after I pulled the throttle body and intake and it looked real bad. Engine had 135k on it then and had not had a cleaning since I got it but did run Valvoline complete valvetrain cleaner every oil change. I ran a can of Seafoam every 6 weeks for half year. 2 in the tank, two in the manifold.

I run only BP..and only BP. Just want to keep a 140 k engine running and idling well. So far, only had to change the O2's. Everything else checks well, aside from the squeaks and leaks.

5000 miles good estimate for Pennzoil Platinum and K&N filter?

white
    2001 Trams Am

That oil combo should be fine for 5K if not more. Send it to Blackstone to be sure. Couple of tests will let you know where you stand.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

154k here and running the same since it rolled out the door. 3k oil changes with k&n and PP 10w30.

You can save a badly neglected car if you do this. mine was smoking. not anymore.

Black
    98 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by Driven View Post
    That oil combo should be fine for 5K if not more. Send it to Blackstone to be sure. Couple of tests will let you know where you stand.
    Requested the kit last night...Will be quite interesting to see the results.

I assume that there is a thread here where it is discussed..will look for it.

I did clean the MAF a few days ago. K&N filter. I thought she was idling nice before that. I was wrong.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    My mileage is in the toilet also but I did just get a stall and gears so I'm sure that's a big part of it.
    Oh yes, BIG TIME! That will flush your mileage quicker than you can fart.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Banshee1967 View Post
    Ok...

9,000 miles or so ago, I changed the plugs (irridium GM) plug wires, Seafomed the intake and a can in the tank cleaned the throttle body, Cleaned the MAF sensor correctly, cleaned the air filter, changed the diff lube, replaced the fuel filter. 7k ago, I replaced the O2 sensors.

I run a bottle of Seafoam through the tank every 6 weeks or so. Tire pressures checked every week.

I am getting 280-290 miles a tank on a 98 T/A. 80% of my driving is freeway, and I do not rag on her. T56

I did have a flange leak, drivers side, corrected 4 days ago. I have noticed the temp gauge barely creeps past 170-175, and it takes a long time to get there.

Is there anything else I should or could look at? Would taking it somewhere(first time in 10 years) and having a diagnostic be worthwhile?

I know she is tired with 139k, but she still idles well.

Am I being a bi-atch complaining about this, or is this mileage normal?
    Your temp should be about 195 with a good thermostat. If it is like you say, a cooler running engine will run richer. It is in the PCM strategy.

Also, like others have said, ethanol blends result in worse MPG. Has your state recently changed?

And again, all cars get worse MPG in the winter. You are in cold times up in MI, haven't you noticed this before? Or maybe you are just now keeping accurate records and are noticing the cold weather drop in MPG.

Do you have great heat? If not really, that also points to the t-stat. If I were you that would be my next repair. Should only take like 3 miles to get up to normal temp.

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    its time for them to be changing over to winter blend at the fuel stations....i wonder if that is what is happening to everyone fuel mileage
    You are exactly correct sir. All of the Eastern and Northeastern states and basically accross the Midwest will switch to their winter blend. It's common and been happening for at least 20 years that I can remember.
    They started putting fuel line freeze up crap and other additives in the mix for cold weather driving and the fuel has a lower flash point to allow for quicker cold weather starts,,,,it will drop MPG at least 2-3.

Generally around the end of April is when they will switch back to summer grade fuel,,,you'll notice your mileage increase at that point.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 12-06-2008 at 06:14 AM.

Just for giggles here is something thats a pain in the ass with this stuff. If you drive a carburated car that is more likely to vapor lock,,,,you'll find out quickly on this winter grade fuel.

Usually in Ohio around March you'll start to get a few 60 degree days,,,but stations still have winter grade. Works fine when it's cold since it has a lower flash point for quicker starts in cold weather,,,but as soon as you get a warm day you have vapor lock issues that are a real pain in the rump. It's funny once switch over to the summer grade the vapor lock issues misteriously dissappear.

Quote Originally Posted by TransAm11973 View Post
    what do you guys have for milage when you get to about 1/4 of a tank left....
    I never let mine get below a quarter tank and I get about 200-220 miles,,,when I fill up it takes about 10 gallons. Thats all city stop and go driving. About 20-22 mpg.

I get this in both cars,,,,one 6 speed and one automatic.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 12-06-2008 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 01 SS Vert View Post
    In TN, there is a law that says if it's blended, it must say it on the pump. The places around here that don't sell it are proud of it and have it posted as well!
    That law covers the 10% ethanol fuels and thats pretty common for that stuff to be posted on the pumps,,,,,but it does not do anything for the winter grade fuels, thats a completely different aspect of things.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    You are exactly correct sir. All of the Eastern and Northeastern states and basically accross the Midwest will switch to their winter blend. It's common and been happening for at least 20 years that I can remember.
    They started putting fuel line freeze up crap and other additives in the mix for cold weather driving and the fuel has a lower flash point to allow for quicker cold weather starts,,,,it will drop MPG at least 2-3.

Generally around the end of April is when they will switch back to summer grade fuel,,,you'll notice your mileage increase at that point.
    i guess after paying $3+ a gallon we all look at the gauge and the pump more than we did a few years ago.....i remember complaining that it took $35 to fillup my old 67 catalina....it had a 30 gallon tank lol

Black
    98 T/A

Car takes forever to warm up...and when it does, 165-170 max. Guy I bought it from stated he installed an SLP 160 thermo.

Guess I should switch it back to 195 degree.

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by GatorSS View Post
    Oh yes, BIG TIME! That will flush your mileage quicker than you can fart.
    Yeah I'm looking forward to 6mpg after the cam swap...haha

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by Johns00Z28 View Post
    Yeah I'm looking forward to 6mpg after the cam swap...haha
    but it will be fune wont it

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Banshee1967 View Post
    Car takes forever to warm up...and when it does, 165-170 max. Guy I bought it from stated he installed an SLP 160 thermo.

Guess I should switch it back to 195 degree.
    That would help. Keep the 165 'stat for summer racing.

Black
    2000 Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    but it will be fune wont it
    Hey if it's not enough there's always heads and nitrous right?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information