qwik3r

WTF did i break now? grinding sputtering...

Ok was going down the road did a 2nd gear drop and all hell broke lose. As i was slowing down a horrible grinding sound occured, it sounded like it could have been my torque arm which i have broken quite a few times.

So yeah now on the way home the car is bouncing horribly from the rear like i'm on a friggen ride.

Now on the way home slowing down from like 40mph there is a horrible grinding which sounds like its coming from the right rear. I am not a mechanic but i have broken quite a few things on this car so i immediately checked the torque arm.

All the bolts were fine, nothing looked bent, everything else seemed ok, calipers were not loose.

Driving normal everything is ok except for the bouncing the grinding is not there etc, and its not there slowing down from say 20 or 30, just higher speeds like 40 and abrupt stops.

I am going to have someone look at it but if i can get a heads up please let me know. Thanks

99 Firebird Formula

Sounds like something in the rear end let loose. I don't advise driving it much further unless you're going directly to the shop...

qwik3r
    possibly that would suck ass though but i don't know how that could be its a moser 12 bolt. Plus that doesn't explain the bouncing up and down does it? Even if the pumpkin exploded the car shouldn't be bouncing up and down in the back...

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

You could have blown a posi unit. I did that a couple of times and it made for some weird driving with the debri flying around in the rear end.

qwik3r
    Quote Originally Posted by Hot Black Trans-Am
    You could have blown a posi unit. I did that a couple of times and it made for some weird driving with the debri flying around in the rear end.

What kind of rear did you have? What did you do to blow the posi, was it a single event or it just happened? Can you describe the driving problems you experiences alittle more in depth?

I would be surprised if that was the case on this 12 bolt. I may have jumped the gun and banged second alittle later than i should have but i'm just baffled if i did damaged tot he damn pumpkin.

Again wondering how hitting a bump sends the car flying up and down like a ride at a carnavel in the back, sounds more like a u-joint no?

qwik3r
    ttt

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

The posi unit that I blew was on a truck with a GM 12 bolt with 4.88 gears and a 454 big block done up good, 500 HPish. I was getting on it hard threw a corner on to a straight away and the thing had a huge bang and jumped around a bit. It would be fine driving straight, but as soon as I would turn it would jump around, grind and make strange noises from the pieces of the posi unit floating around. I drove about 2 miles after that and it destroyed the ring and pinon from shrapnel. Found my self a nice 14 bolt after I shreded all the bolts off the ring gear a month after the rebuild. If it's not that the only thing else I could think of is if you broke a control arm mount or a bolt on something. U joints usually just make lots of noise and don't make you bounce around at all. You could have busted a bolt or two off of the ring gear too. I'd have it checked out ASAP though!

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

are u sure the TA isnt bent? that will cause wheel hop also. your LCA's can do it too. it does sound like your rear though. are you having any issues putting it in gear?

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

A rear axle bearing will act like that-not sure why it would break like that though.

qwik3r
    I haven't really had any issues putting it into gear, than again i drove it right the hell home, the ride home was quite long and ok though, not grinding etc except from a 40mph stop or so bad grinding or a hard stop. As for the bouncing it was there as i said mostly hitting a bump if the ground was even and straight i wouldn't bounce, it didn't move from side to side either, just up and down, its friggen weird. Not sure on the torque arm again, it could be bent, i hope to hell it is and its not the rear or something in it. I would be so pissed i spend good money on that F'n 12 bolt cause the stock one is a POS and this breaks and i barely romp on the car.

I have a mechanic friend who is gonna check it out for me this week, thanks for the help though guys.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

Let us know what you broke when you find out. Hope it's an easy fix for you.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

Jack the wheel up on that side and see if the axel is loose. The wheel, rotor and axel would move around,not supposed to be any or extremely little movement there. It still sounds like an axel bearing to me,You will be able to tell very easily if it is a bearing. If you want to wait on your mechanic friend thats cool,but ask him to check it real quick when he jacks it up. Could save a lot of his time if that's the problem.

qwik3r
    now i have to wait til the end of the week cause my mech friend blew his hands off or close to it in a stove explosion accident ugggh... Anyway if it was the axel would that attribute to the bouncing? I am still thinking bent TA if the angle is off it could grind and bounce i would assume, def grind cause i know what a grinding TA against the DS sounds like and its not nice hehe. HOw much is an axel bearing ne way? And yes i will def let u guys know what the problem is

Thread Information