Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1997 Formula & 2003 cobra

Is WS.6/ SS faster than Z28 / Trans am?

ok when l first singed up on fbody web sites, l asked this question and l said l wanted to get WS6 cuz they were faster but ws6 owner, SS owner and regular Z28 & regular trans am owners told me that they dyno the same and none of them faster than each other.. that SS, WS6 packages were just marketting..

so tell me guys, what is the truth.. l actually believe that WS6/SS = regular trans am /Z28. no difference on POWER!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I see this debate come up all the time. The ws-6 and ss were factory rated higher but take that however you want. Dyno's seem to say they all dyno about the same. The ram air I would think comes into play at higher speeds so up top you may gain some on a base model T/A or Z-28. IMO I wouldn't buy one because it's faster but the looks are nice to have. When we bought our Formula I actually wanted a ws-6 but the wife wouldn't come off the extra money so I just worked with what I had. It's also been said the base model formula's and z-28 have a small weight advantage over the ws-6 and ss. In the end just get the one that appeals to you most and that your wife will let you spend the money on.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

The WS6 & SS is only a bit better due to the exhaust. The ram air part is BS. Put the same aftermarket cat back on any of them and they will be the same. It's just the looks that make personal prefferce the deciding factor so one will never be better than the others to everyone. Of course the lighters ones will have a weight advantage, but that's it.

onyx black
    1999 formula firebird

you can say what you want..its up to the driver mostly..i just know i dont have a problem with either of them..most of the time..

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

The WS6 must be better due to the big wing and hood. That has to be the most copied hood scoop ever! I even saw one on a mustang!

Quote Originally Posted by doodad. View Post
    ok when l first singed up on fbody web sites, l asked this question and l said l wanted to get WS6 cuz they were faster but ws6 owner, SS owner and regular Z28 & regular trans am owners told me that they dyno the same and none of them faster than each other.. that SS, WS6 packages were just marketting..

so tell me guys, what is the truth.. l actually believe that WS6/SS = regular trans am /Z28. no difference on POWER!
    They are the same

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

The same, no difference what so ever. You can get the same Ram Air effect on a Z28 by cutting the radiator shroud. and opening it up to force more air through the intake tract. It does look cooler though, that's why I got one. I love the looks of a WS6 but nowadays, you can easily copy it by just plopping on a Ram Air hood on a Base TA

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black
    2000 nhra edition formula

the fastest f-body would be a stripper Z/28 followed by a formula.
    a few bolt ons, 379 rwhp
    11.96 @113.25

White
    97 GMC with 02 LS6 engine

I think the WS6 Truck is better and puts out more HP than the stock WS6. It comes with a Beltech suspension but keeps the same tire size in the front but is upgraded to a 315/35/17 tire in the rear. J/K LOL http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24580
    Last edited by Nitrous; 08-08-2006 at 06:54 PM.

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

Well there are actually a few differences. WS6 and SS are packages that are addeded to base model formula or base model z28. Which can include

1. Body changes i.e. hood and spoiler.
    2. Suspension Changes i.e. stiffer springs,shocks, sway bar
    3. Exhaust changes i.e. SLP cat back
    4. Shifter changes i.e. hurst shifter. Little better than stock

These changes can be mixed and matched. You can have a WS6 formula which will just have the suspension changes. Or you can have a WS6 formula with spoiler but without ram air option etc....

The only difference between them power wise is the air box difference and the exhaust. Except for the exhaust on the SS the upgrades are small in the HP area. As far as I know there is no PCM programming difference between any of the models, but there may have been an option for that.

It is considered common that the base formula and base z28 with the exact same driver and other variables should have a very very slight advantage over the upgraded models do to weight as was said above.

Red
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

I agree with the small differences and I agree with the stripper WS6 models and stripper Z's. I know a couple and out the factory, they are freaks!

member since may 2000 nhraformula's Avatar

black

my car weighs in at 3380, no weight reduction at all.

Blog Entries

2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

If I get time this weekend I'll try to get mine weighed and see how porkey mine is.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

is the spoiler on the WS6 really bigger than the one on the regular Trans Am??

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

they r the same on all Trans ams but different on Z28's and SS's (the spoilers)

NBM
    99 TA

Quote Originally Posted by adham View Post
    is the spoiler on the WS6 really bigger than the one on the regular Trans Am??
    Firebirds and Formulas had a low rise spoiler, and Trans AM''s and WS6's both had the same high rise spoiler

Camaro/Z28 had a lower flat spoiler and the SS had the more rounded spoiler

Did you just answer yourself?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by AKIRA View Post
    Did you just answer yourself?
    actually i always knew that they were the same on the trans ams and WS6 but 2 other people mentioned that they were different and thats what caused me to second guess myself...so yeah i just answered myself!
    Last edited by adham; 08-11-2006 at 10:47 AM.

allllllllll black
    2002 35th z28

wonder if an ultra-z hood was an option .that wouldbe better than all the other hoods i believe

Sebring Silver
    2002 Camaro SS

Well from logic .. an engine that breathes better (better induction and exhaust) runs better. So the SS and WS6 should be faster by at least a small amount. I think the difference comes down to value and resale value as well as production numbers. Thats where the SS or WS6 title will come into play and make it more of a valuable item.

Think about older muscle cars. Z28's are nice but SS' are going to pull more money. Plus from a collectors standpoint more desireable. I say F#$% it if youre going to buy something by the best of the class youre going for ...Cars are like shoes.. yea some are just as comfortable but why buy lower end model when you can get the brand new one for a few dollars more and be on top of your game?
    http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g154/illcul8troffcr/My%20SS/signaturew.jpg
    2002 Camaro SS #1539
    MTI Clear AirLid /Magnaflow catback/Polished Hotchkis Strut Tower Brace/K&N Filter/Bilstein Suspension/
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/553601
    http://www.fquick.com/illcul8troffcr

Thread Information