Results 1 to 8 of 8

Would it be bad to put my fuel pump on a on/off switch?

This is a discussion on Would it be bad to put my fuel pump on a on/off switch? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; So here's my problem.... Drove my car into the garage to replace the motor. Replaced motor, went to fire up, ...

  1. #1
    She-Member jrbonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Central OK
    Posts
    782

    2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

    Would it be bad to put my fuel pump on a on/off switch?

    So here's my problem....

    Drove my car into the garage to replace the motor.

    Replaced motor, went to fire up, acted like it was out of gas. Filled gas tank up. It will start, but will not idle. It acts like its out of gas.

    I have installed a racetronix pump and hot wire kit. Messed with that for a couple of days. New relays, etc.... Would not work.

    Frustrated, so I put the stock fuel pump stuff back in. Still no fuel!! I have no fuel pressure at the rails.

    I am getting 12 volts at the relay, and 3.57 volts at the pump. Fuel pump does come on when you turn the key on.

    No security light, no kinks in the fuel lines anywhere.

    Everything has been replaced. I've checked my grounds, relocated them and checked and relocated them again and again.

    Fuel filter was replaced.

    I have never had this happen. I'm at a loss. So frustrated. Help!!!

  2. #2
    Spaz is My Mentor SMWS6TA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ugy Lower Corner of AL
    Posts
    10,511

    Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

    I'm suggesting this as a way to eliminate possibilities:

    Check fuel lines for clog: have a gas can that you can dump gas into. At any spot in this you do not get fuel then you know where the clog is.
    Disconnect the line at the tank side of the filter, have some one turn key on and see if fuel is getting to the filter. If Yes then put on filter disconnect line on engine side of filter, repeat turn key on. Fuel = Yes, connect line, disconnect the fuel line at the rail, turn key on fuel = Yes. Then your lines are clear.

    Have you checked the fuel rail and injectors for their connections? Could have cut a wire on the swap out.

  3. #3
    She-Member jrbonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Central OK
    Posts
    782

    2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

    Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I'm suggesting this as a way to eliminate possibilities:

    Check fuel lines for clog: have a gas can that you can dump gas into. At any spot in this you do not get fuel then you know where the clog is.
    Disconnect the line at the tank side of the filter, have some one turn key on and see if fuel is getting to the filter. If Yes then put on filter disconnect line on engine side of filter, repeat turn key on. Fuel = Yes, connect line, disconnect the fuel line at the rail, turn key on fuel = Yes. Then your lines are clear.

    Have you checked the fuel rail and injectors for their connections? Could have cut a wire on the swap out.
    All the wires are good, I've checked those until I'm blue in the face.

    As for the fuel filter clog, I'll will give them a shot this evening.

  4. #4
    Senior Member FasstChevys's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    3,315

    White
    '10 ZR1

    Since there's no pressure at the fuel rail, is it possible there's an air pocket in your system? It does sound odd!

    3.5 volts at the pump seems low......low enough to not spin the pump and give you fuel. Did you try disconnecting the fuel line and turning on the key to start the fuel pump?

  5. #5
    She-Member jrbonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Central OK
    Posts
    782

    2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

    Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    Since there's no pressure at the fuel rail, is it possible there's an air pocket in your system? It does sound odd!

    3.5 volts at the pump seems low......low enough to not spin the pump and give you fuel. Did you try disconnecting the fuel line and turning on the key to start the fuel pump?

    Yes, the pump comes on.

  6. #6
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    Quote Originally Posted by jrbonds View Post
    So here's my problem....

    Drove my car into the garage to replace the motor.

    Replaced motor, went to fire up, acted like it was out of gas. Filled gas tank up. It will start, but will not idle. It acts like its out of gas.

    I have installed a racetronix pump and hot wire kit. Messed with that for a couple of days. New relays, etc.... Would not work.

    Frustrated, so I put the stock fuel pump stuff back in. Still no fuel!! I have no fuel pressure at the rails.

    I am getting 12 volts at the relay, and 3.57 volts at the pump. Fuel pump does come on when you turn the key on.

    No security light, no kinks in the fuel lines anywhere.

    Everything has been replaced. I've checked my grounds, relocated them and checked and relocated them again and again.

    Fuel filter was replaced.

    I have never had this happen. I'm at a loss. So frustrated. Help!!!
    think you've already found your problem....now just have to find the cause. First thing I would do is swap that relay out. Maybe check those grounds or something.
    Last edited by 0rion; 04-06-2015 at 11:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

  7. #7
    She-Member jrbonds's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Central OK
    Posts
    782

    2002 WS6
    1965 Mustang

    Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    think you've already found your problem....now just have to find the cause. First thing I would do is swap that relay out. Maybe check those grounds or something.
    I'll buy a new relay tonight. Those three ground straps on the back of the engine harness. 2 are together that go on the back of the head and the 1 goes where? I put them all together and nothing changed. Separated and nothing.

  8. #8
    Veteran 0rion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    ohio
    Posts
    22,520

    98 Formula
    06 duramax

    where were you checking voltage to the pump at and what were the wire colors? I see you did the hotwire kit off the back of the alternator right? Did you ground it in the back on the frame where the brake line is I think is where they have you ground it. It's been a while since I did mine. I do remember however having to grind the dog shit out of that to get it to ground well back there.
    Last edited by 0rion; 04-06-2015 at 04:38 PM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Write-Up: Fuel Pump Kill Switch
    By nichoLaS1 in forum General Help
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-13-2016, 10:30 AM
  2. Pontiac Fuel Pumps - Do You Have The Right Fuel Pump?
    By Ed Blown Vert in forum Firebird / WS6
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-15-2011, 10:20 PM
  3. fuel pump cut off switch location??
    By truakita in forum General Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-24-2007, 03:50 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-02-2006, 07:23 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •