blue
    2002 camaro ss

is worth cutting out cats on a 02 ss with cme and manifolds

hp and sound?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome!

You'll have to tune out the rear O2 sensors. Anything that cuts down on restriction is going to help, but a catback and LT's are what you really want.

blue
    2002 camaro ss

which LT and cat back would you go with

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE02SS View Post
    which LT and cat back would you go with
    That really depends on what tone and how loud you want it. Everybody has an opinion but I would go with something stainless or ceramic. It'll cost more up front, but it'll look good and hold up a lot longer... can't go wrong with pacesetter LT's in my opinion. I run LT's with an offroad Y pipe "you'll need that with no cats" and I have a flowmaster cat back...everybody tells me my car sounds great.

The sound is louder without cats... as for horsepower it's not going to make a huge difference. The long tubes are what will make the biggest HP difference...
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

blue
    2002 camaro ss

Does flowmaster offer a true dual exhaust that will work on a convertible with CME?

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

As posted, exhaust is all a matter of preferences. I really like Magnaflow and Pypes, but can't stand anything with a Flowmaster (talking in general and not just F-bodies). Something to also think about - an electric cutout gives our car the best of both worlds and is probably my favorite mod. I can control the sound with the push of a button.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

They don't call it a chokemaster for nothing.
    I like kooks and magnaflow on the 4th gens

01 SS

No point in gutting the cats for the minimal gain and ass like sound with stock cubes. As mentioned, start with LTs and a good catback (Corsa, Magnaflo, etc). Expect plenty of rasp with any I-pipe set up without cats unless you build a Flowmaster merge Y-pipe....which will only minimize it. If you go true duals (Bassani, Kooks), rasp isnt an issue (cats or not) but will experience some minor drone.

If you have a factory installed CME from SLP, then you already have a good catback system. Those are 3" I-pipes, with a nice stainless performance muffler, assentially the optional upgraded Dual/Dual exhaust system with the CME option added to it is how SLP did it.

Any other 3" catback system won't really yield you any performance gains, but would change the sound depending on which way you go.

Most people that have had this factory SLP system will tell you it's probably the favorite among the Fbody crowd as far as noise level and performance is concerned, but it's been discontinued for years and very hard to find used now, so popular choices since have been Magnaflow, Pypes, etc...as already mentioned.

My SS vert also has the factory CME setup, I simply installed long tubes and an off road Y and left the rest of it be. Excellent sound quality that wasn't obnoxious at all, even with the top down. My favorite overall exhaust setup for any 4th gen.

Do me a favor, if you still plan to ditch the factory SLP setup, even just the muffler and I-pipe, send it my way and I'll pay for it

Silver
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I was gonna do pacesetter Longtube headers and a TSP catted Y. Look it up, it's a good price. Kooks LT's would be better though. I'm currently running a Borla Catback, and that's nice if you wanna be able to adjust the loudness, since the passenger side exit doesn't pass through the muffler.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

is worth cutting out cats on a 02 ss with cme and manifolds

Just install the headers and leave the rest alone, like what FBJ posted. You'll be fine.

extreme dimensions, driveshaft shop, harrop, hid(35watt/6k) lows, hurst, k&n, led fogs, maverick man, mishimoto, nitto, revshift, slp, stern st-1, smoked sidemarkers, whiteline poly radius rod bushings

black
    00 maro ss

i always go 3 1/2 or 3 3/4 depending on the buildbut offroad stainless is where its at, costs a good penny to make but they are thicker than any exaust u can buy and wont get crunched if u bottom out on em and have hella echo =) ive had these 2 sizes for years now lol i love em

black
    00 maro ss

ohh ya and go long tubes if u get headers pref. tuned long tube headers itll b worth it later on down the road

Thread Information