Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

Won't start with the key

Whats up all guys and girls? Here's one for ya. My friends 96 formula A4 recently started acting up. he has a keyless remote start/alarm that works fine. Not sure of brand. Anyway, it will start with remote and it is supposed to allow you to turn the key in ignition to unlock wheel and drive away. What it's doing is starting up with remote and when he puts key in it will unlock the wheel and let him drive away but a few days ago it was running with no a/c,lights/radio/horn anything elec was OUT. It started right up fine the next day no issues. What it will NOT do is crank up with key. It only goes to "on" position not fully to "start". What gives? I think it maybe ignition related but not ruling out that remote/alarm. Any ideas?

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Gonna guess.....VATS
    Vehicle Anti Theft System

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by kensz28 View Post
    Whats up all guys and girls? Here's one for ya. My friends 96 formula A4 recently started acting up. he has a keyless remote start/alarm that works fine. Not sure of brand. Anyway, it will start with remote and it is supposed to allow you to turn the key in ignition to unlock wheel and drive away. What it's doing is starting up with remote and when he puts key in it will unlock the wheel and let him drive away but a few days ago it was running with no a/c,lights/radio/horn anything elec was OUT. It started right up fine the next day no issues. What it will NOT do is crank up with key. It only goes to "on" position not fully to "start". What gives? I think it maybe ignition related but not ruling out that remote/alarm. Any ideas?
    The key isn't physically turning to the start position? or nothing happens when you do? Security light come on when your trying to start? If it's turning to the on poisiton and nothing happens, see if the alarm has a kill switch and bypass it. Otherwise it may be an ignition cylinder problem.

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

I think it wont turn that far. I saw it myself. It stops at "on"

Flame Red / Orange Custom
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    Gonna guess.....VATS
    Vehicle Anti Theft System
    almost sounds like it

hey kensz28 dose the keys chip wiggle at all?
    98 Trans Am Custom Paint, Ghost Skuls On Racing Stripe + Custom Front Lip, :MODs Tubular K-member, Tubular Upper and lower A-arms, Tubular Control Arms, 4:10's, Cam L-.567/.575 D@.05-.212/.218,1.85 Roller Rockers, P&P Heads, ARH Headers & HF Cats & Y-Pipe, SLP loudmouth catback, +'s

Pewter
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

its not necissarily the key thats bad, but one of the wires or connections to the computer. this will probably fix it

Flame Red / Orange Custom
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by V8MUSCLE View Post
    its not necissarily the key thats bad, but one of the wires or connections to the computer. this will probably fix it
    Nice thats a good post

Red
    1979 MALIBU, SBC T56.

I don't trust those aftermarket alarms anyway. This is why. I didn't see any movement from the chip or ignition itself. It just stops. I saw him have to force it once and it sounded kinda rough but it started.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by kensz28 View Post
    I don't trust those aftermarket alarms anyway. This is why. I didn't see any movement from the chip or ignition itself. It just stops. I saw him have to force it once and it sounded kinda rough but it started.
    If the igintion cylinder is locked up try spraying some WD-40 into it, see if that will help free it up. To help prolong the life of your igintion cylinder, keep the amount of keys on your key ring minimal.

Light Pewter Metallic
    2000 Camaro SS M6

Most likely, either (1) the VATS connector points in the key cylinder are not making contact with each side of the key pellet (connector point or key pellet may be worn down), or (2) one (or both) of the two white wires from the key cylinder to the VATS plug under the dash have become disconnected. In either case, bypassing the VATS will allow the car to start/run, but you will no longer have a working anti-theft system.

Sometimes (somewhat rare, but it happens), the contacts (in the key cylinder and/or on the key pellet) may get some kind of build up on them (more often it's the key pellet). In this case, cleaning it off with some non-residue contact cleaner will allow it to make good contact. This has happened to some people that use a whole lot of thick hand lotion and it rubs off onto the key pellet from their hand.

Thread Information