wont start after shutting off

This is a discussion on wont start after shutting off within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; Car runs good. Slight loss of power. When I shut it off, it wont start unless I wait an hour ...

wont start after shutting off

Car runs good. Slight loss of power. When I shut it off, it wont start unless I wait an hour or so. I think it could be ignition control module. Any help would be appreciated

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Is your security light flashing? I'm assuming it's not even turning over when you try to start it? Need more info....it's not unheard of for ign. components to get hot and start acting up but the same can be said for fuel pumps too. If it's turning over and not starting I would start by checking fuel pressure and checking for spark. If it's doing nothing when you turn the key (security light not flashing) I would look more at loose/corroded wires or the starter first. If the security light is flashing it's a vats issue and can be fixed for about $5 and 30 minutes of your time.

1997 5.7. Turns over but if it does start, it only runs for a minute, then kills. Also, how do I know if its an ls1. 1997 z28 camaro. Thanks

98 Formula
    06 duramax

97 is an LT1......LS1 didn't come out in the f-bodies (camaro/firebird) until 98. Knowing now that it's a 97 I'd say you're problem is the optispark.......very common part to fail. Fairly expensive to replace too and a pain in the ass. I will let one of the LT1 guys chime in as I'm sure they'll have more info/help to give you but I'd bet my last dollar it's your opti.

Red w/ silver Stripes
    2000 WS6 6 Speed

No matter what the problem is with your 93-97 LT1, if it won't start, misses, down on power, has bad brakes, pulls to the right, window wont roll up, t-tops leak, girlfriend left you... its the opti spark. Just change it. If it dosen't fix it, you've got a dud. Change it again until you get a good one. Sometimes it takes a few, but eventually you should get one that will at least last 6 months. lol my guess is opti.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Have you checked/changed the fuel filter? It's a cheaper way to start, and if you check the fuel pressure, if I remember correctly, you should see around 42- 48 psi at idle.

still having problems

Changed the optispark. Runs better when cold. After running for awhile, when I turn it off, it starts but only runs for a couple of minutes and dies. If I wait 2-3 hours it runs fine again. Please help!!!!

Black
    1998 WS6 T/A

can u hear the fuel pump kick on when you turn the key?

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Im wondering if the fuel pump is overheating and then it stops working. Agree with mike, Do you hear the pump priming? can you check the fuel pressure when the problem occurs? Any check engine lights?

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Mileage?

Thread Information