Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Won't Run Properly - Almost a Year Now...

This is a discussion on Won't Run Properly - Almost a Year Now... within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; And a couple non-cell phone shots with my Nikon D2x and Tamron 17-55 f/2.8:...

Black/White | Black
    98 TA | 01 WS6

And a couple non-cell phone shots with my Nikon D2x and Tamron 17-55 f/2.8:

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6// LS6

Thanks, Thats what I thought you meant. Theck valve also fails there too and bleeds off all pressure.. Its the same sub part so fixing that down the road will not be an issue.

Black/White | Black
    98 TA | 01 WS6

Yah the fuel is the least of our worries at this point it seems lol. At least the volume is there, as Steve confirmed. Thanks again for all the help, Steve!

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/a little mods...

damn , now I'm going to look at my heads I just pulled off one more time.

Black/White | Black
    98 TA | 01 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    damn , now I'm going to look at my heads I just pulled off one more time.
    I doubt yours will look like this, unless you had a bad spring too??

Black/White | Black
    98 TA | 01 WS6

Thanks again to Steve for the help! Some progress last night:

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Good job guys that is why I love these forms they get you hooked up with the right people and get the right answers. LS people are good people..........
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

Black/White | Black
    98 TA | 01 WS6

SHE RUNS!!

Video here:

Some more progress (cell phone) shots from yesterday:

Bolting the exhaust back together:

We still need to add some coolant and a coolant temp. sensor.

Black/White | Black
    98 TA | 01 WS6

Video from yesterday of intake & engine area, and exhaust (Burning up some oil! No longer smokes though):

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Nice!! You will think you have a new car now with an extra 30 hp. You will prob also get an extra 10 mpg!! lol

Black/White | Black
    98 TA | 01 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    Nice!! You will think you have a new car now with an extra 30 hp. You will prob also get an extra 10 mpg!! lol
    Before I did the Y pipe, plugs, wires, QTP cutout, new o2's, and all of this new work as well it did this (Less than I remember):

It would get 28 MPG highway & around 21-22 average.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6// LS6

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    Good job guys that is why I love these forms they get you hooked up with the right people and get the right answers. LS people are good people..........
    Yeah your exactly right... I stumbled onto Rick and his car through another thread. I had to realign my right headlight cover and couldn't get it just right. I somehow missed the adjustment that under the headlight cover on the Birds. Rick had replied in that thread and I noticed he lived in my town. I couldn't believe it since Ive never seen him. I looked to see if he was still active on this forum and found this thread and sent him a PM. After all the problems he was having and espically since he has had these problems for about a year I told him I could fix it no prob without even looking at the car. Im a Master Tech and cars are my life.

Rick only worked 4 mins from my house. Small world. He came right over the next day, and after just about 3 hours looking at everything from fuel to scan data to vacuum readings I knew it was either a broken spring or burned valve. Sure enough we found that broken spring the folllowing day and the project begain. Due to this and ls1techs forum we have become good friends we banged out the job in 3-4 days, a little bit of dicking around, a lot of cleaning spread a little over a week. Now this ls1 sounds like it should. Runs smooth as silk, you could balance a glass of water on the intake, yes it runs that smooth now... lol

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Quote Originally Posted by Steve83ta View Post
    Yeah your exactly right... I stumbled onto Rick and his car through another thread. I had to realign my right headlight cover and couldn't get it just right. I somehow missed the adjustment that under the headlight cover on the Birds. Rick had replied in that thread and I noticed he lived in my town. I couldn't believe it since Ive never seen him. I looked to see if he was still active on this forum and found this thread and sent him a PM. After all the problems he was having and espically since he has had these problems for about a year I told him I could fix it no prob without even looking at the car. Im a Master Tech and cars are my life.

Rick only worked 4 mins from my house. Small world. He came right over the next day, and after just about 3 hours looking at everything from fuel to scan data to vacuum readings I knew it was either a broken spring or burned valve. Sure enough we found that broken spring the folllowing day and the project begain. Due to this and ls1techs forum we have become good friends we banged out the job in 3-4 days, a little bit of dicking around, a lot of cleaning spread a little over a week. Now this ls1 sounds like it should. Runs smooth as silk, you could balance a glass of water on the intake, yes it runs that smooth now... lol
    Thats too smooth!! LOL I think a nice cam swap is needed.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6// LS6

Thats too smooth!! LOL I think a nice cam swap is needed.
    Lol tell me about it. It was a financial decision. Believe me, Rick and I would have loved to toss a cam in, heck we were right there, it was only 15 mins more of work. But its one of those where do you stop things. If it was going to get a cam, it needed to have matching springs, the stock springs that we put back on would not cut it with a higher lift cam.

Then its a why would you do a cam with the crappy flowing ls1 heads, why not upgrade to at least an LS6 head or Heads from AFR, and and why would you do that while still breathing through a stock ls1 intake manifold, then what about headers, its not of that is going to make that much of a difference if your exhaust is still going through a straw... So at the time it was just about getting the car back on the road. Poor Rick has been making payments on it and hasn't been able to drive it since the middle of last summer. Talk about crappy.

Don't worry I'm sure now with the car back on the road the mod bug will eventually return and the car will get its cam in due time, along with the rest of the mods. But for now its going to be enjoyed and driven like it should be.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

I hear ya about the cam swap. Its one of those things that you want to do it, but you gotta do it right. The budget will DEF determine what gets done and when. Don't just half a$$ it. I did one little thing at a time. Upgraded muffler, yep, just the muffler. LOL Then CAI. Eventually i got full exhaust, fast intake, throttle body, cam, frost tune, stall, rear, sub frame connectors, supercharger, etc. I still would love to upgrade to afr heads, but my funds won't allow it. I didn't just get it all at once. I did side work and saved up for over 10 years. Its good to hear his car is back on the road and he is happy!! Great job guys!!

Black/White | Black
    98 TA | 01 WS6

Like Steve said, I was MORE than excited just to get this thing back on the road and driving! A cam, heads, headers, all that fun stuff would be nice, but with the new house the budget can barely afford the parts we needed to get it back together (GM Performance gaskets, plug wires, head bolts, coolant, oil, all that fun stuff). I think we'll be taking it to Cecil in the upcoming weeks. We will see though. I don't want to break anything!!! But, I know Steve wants to take his LS6, and I have a bunch of friends here that want to get back down to the track before it gets too hot as well.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Quote Originally Posted by PAFirefighter11 View Post
    Like Steve said, I was MORE than excited just to get this thing back on the road and driving! A cam, heads, headers, all that fun stuff would be nice, but with the new house the budget can barely afford the parts we needed to get it back together (GM Performance gaskets, plug wires, head bolts, coolant, oil, all that fun stuff). I think we'll be taking it to Cecil in the upcoming weeks. We will see though. I don't want to break anything!!! But, I know Steve wants to take his LS6, and I have a bunch of friends here that want to get back down to the track before it gets too hot as well.
    Heck yeah!! Sounds like a group track day to me. Maybe get a bunch of peeps from here and other forums to go and make a day of it!! Iam just down in baltimore, so just a little drive away.

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6// LS6

Heck yeah!! Sounds like a group track day to me. Maybe get a bunch of peeps from here and other forums to go and make a day of it!! Iam just down in baltimore, so just a little drive away.
    Yeah Im in West Chester so its just a hop skip and a jump down onto 1. Its only a 35 min drive from where Im at. Sounds good to me, we just have to figure out a day.

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Quote Originally Posted by Steve83ta View Post

That is cool. I have a Kid down the street (100yards) who has a Ws6 he just moved here little over a year ago I have tried to talk to him a few times he don't seem very intrested. He is into cars he just got a old mopar that he is redoing. oh well I have lots of other friends who I do car stuff with just no f-bodies close

Black
    1998 Trans Am Ws6// LS6

Quote Originally Posted by kingls1 View Post
    That is cool. I have a Kid down the street (100yards) who has a Ws6 he just moved here little over a year ago I have tried to talk to him a few times he don't seem very intrested. He is into cars he just got a old mopar that he is redoing. oh well I have lots of other friends who I do car stuff with just no f-bodies close
    vi

Well if you can convince him to come down and run down the track or two there is nothing else like it. So much fun, win lose or trying to beat your best time. The aderenaline kincks in and gets you hooked so fast.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information