wont get warm......bad thermostat?

This is a discussion on wont get warm......bad thermostat? within the General Help forums, part of the LSx Technical Help Section category; My 98 ss takes forever to warm up. I know our cars dont really run that hot but it takes ...

black
    1998 Camaro SS

wont get warm......bad thermostat?

My 98 ss takes forever to warm up. I know our cars dont really run that hot but it takes like 20 min of driving for the needle on the temp gauge to even move and it never gets above midway between 160 and 210. Could my thermostat be stuck open or something? the only other thing i can think of is if someone put a 160 degree thermostat in it before i bought it but the previous owner told me it was bone stock. My low coolant light is also on but the coolant isnt low. i think the sensor is bad because there is a bunch of crap in the bottom of the coolant resevoir tank and thats where the sensor is i think.

Smiles for 9.5 Years cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Could be either of what you stated. There could be a low temp thermostat in your car or the thermostat is stuck open. Do you know if the car's cooling system was ever flushed prior to you purchasing the car? Have you flushed the system since purchasing the car? If you haven't, do it and clean the overflow tank as well. You might need a new sensor, but you won't know until you clean out the overflow tank.

Also, check you hoses to see if either one is collapsed.

black
    1998 Camaro SS

Well I didnt put any radiator flush in it but when i changed heads i obviously drained the old and put new in. Is there anyway to tell looking at the thermostat if its stuck open? Also, would that sensor being bad or thermostat being open cause the car not to run 100%?

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

I have never tested a thermostat for failure by eye. You will most likely have to get a pressure tester and hook it to the radiator filler. The low coolant sensor wouldn't cause an operation problem. It's an "idiot" light for when the coolant in the overflow tank is low. I know they go bad in some GM cars. Some folks just leave them be rather than replace them.

Red
    2000 Camaro Z28 A4

if the stat is stuck open it can over heat your block without u even knowing cause the coolant passes through to fast to draw any heat! iv seem many cars throw an ses light for a bad stat also... u can test the stats by boiling them in water and see when it opens! but that is old school stats are cheap just for the hell of it i would replace it just because! and see if it fixes your problem! when your car is cold it will run a little richer also i think to help your car reach operating temp!

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

I will start by replacing your Tstat with a new one. The sensor for the low coolant light is not in the overflow tank. Is on the passenger side of the radiator on the back. If you follow the neck opening of the radiator down you will notice a small square box with a electrical plug. That's the one. here is a few pics.

There is a small clip that holds the sensor in. remove the sensor and clean it. it gets cover in coolant crap and it won't work right.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i'd learn more tword a faulty guage...

black
    1998 Camaro SS

Thanks alot for the pics that helps alot. yeah ill try cleaning it first and see if that fixes it.

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Let us know what you find.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

My car takes while to heat up as well, but not 20 min, 20min of idling and mines at least halfway warmed up (in the winter). But I wouldn't rule out the 160* be bad/clogged. If it were stuck all the way open, it would never warm up, unless it was extremely hot and you were at a stand still.

It's a pretty cheap part, can't hurt to replace it. I would double check what you have, and replace it with the same degree.

Is your car tuned for the 160*?

black
    1998 Camaro SS

No its not. i didnt put a 160 degree in unless someone before me did. is there anyway to tell. the housing around it doesnt say anything on it. doesnt our thermostats come attached to the housing?

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by jmatt07 View Post
    No its not. i didnt put a 160 degree in unless someone before me did. is there anyway to tell. the housing around it doesnt say anything on it. doesnt our thermostats come attached to the housing?
    Yes, IIRC it should be stamped, at least most major brands stamp the temp rating on them.

Thread Information