Red
    98 Formula /93 Z28

Wont crank. Security light on.

Hey guys so i get out of work today, get in the car, turn the key..... NOTHING!!! Radio works, lights work, horn works, etc. So I try to jump it anyway and it starts. Amp meter is at 13-14 so it seems to be charging fine. I figure the battery is going. I work right next to a pepboys so i pull over there, buy a new battery, throw it in..... NOTHING!!! Test the old battery and it's fine. Put it back in and try it again.... Still nothing. Try another jump, nothing... So I try to start it several times and finally just messing with the ignition it cranks and starts right up. It runs fine and I drove it home my 45 minute commute. So while I'm driving home the security light comes on in the dash for about 5 minutes and then goes out. I finally get home and shut it down. Then try to crank it back and it starts right up. Try it again and nothing, again. I now notice that when it wont crank the security light is on. It seems like the security system is cutting the ignition. I tried to lock and unlock it etc. to see if the security light would go off and it still wouldn't go off. Maybe the chip in the ignition key is screwed up? I only have one key so I don't have another to try. Has anyone had anything like this before? Thanks.

silver
    1998 bmw z3

you can get another key made from gm the just have to measure the resistance of your old one. There also is a common problem of one of the white wires breaking coming off the lock cylinder.You can measure the resistance of your key go to radio shack and buy that resistor disconnect the 2 wire connector coming through the steering column and sodder it in. then your security system doesn't work though

Thread Information